BFA AGM - 7pm Friday 27th January

NEW USERS READ FIRST - Registration info & help / Forum rules / Official BFA and BritFoos announcements
Jude

Re: BFA AGM - 7pm Friday 27th January

Post by Jude » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:34 pm

Good luck Martin, it sounds like you have thought this through. Outside of the universities with their somewhat captive markets is difficult to generate momentum, but you appear to have a formula which may do the the trick.

Jude

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:36 pm

Hi cmau

Im detecting a bit of goodhearted rivalry forming here - which is brilliant..And I expect you're miles ahead of us which gives us something to aim for!

Yeh the things you mention would be ideal outcome measures for a club, and good ones at that, I'd certainly be bragging about it if we had loads of Pro-Masters but maybe its not necessarily an important an outcome for the BFA to concern itself with.

Its the number of clubs the BFA support to form that MUST matter most in 2012 if you ask me,and not the quality or rank of the players - Its not that I don't think rankings are important, they are, but higher ranked players are just a natural consequence of structure and continuity the like of which well organised Clubs provide.... I like the word 'Club'rather than 'Scene' because people know what it means and I think we should build on what people understand...

Interestingly I did consider using ranks/number of internationals as a measure of a clubs success because they are good outcomes to measure - but in terms of the BFAs role, its the Development of Foosball that needs to have our attention - its new players that we need to entice into the game and the natural evolutionary and inevitable consequence of a larger player base will be BETTER players - hopefully one day producing a better overall standard of player nationally that will rival the Germans and win the world cup.

I'd much rather look back over 2012 and be able to say that as a result of the BFAs support, efforts, encouragment and direction the UK now has 15 new Clubs offering around 300 foosballers the oppetunity of playing regular competitive matches than have us worrying about the number of Pro-Masters - Not because I think quality doesnt matter but because I think that quality will be the inevitable outcome anyway. Take Darlington as an example - last year we didnt exist, this year we can boast having 3 Semi-pro players and two Junior Internationals. 5 of our members went to France, 2 of them as players. Watch out for the name Matthew Warr.
Martin Landers
Secretary - Darlington Table Football Club

Mase

Post by Mase » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:00 pm

I like Tom will stand if you do not have enough. Former Vice Chair for 2 years, committee member for 4. Have run multiple tournaments including 2 Masters series.

Jonathan May
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jonathan May » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:05 am

I will stand again.

I am sorry, but I do not have time to write/create a manifesto. I have a huge amount of experience in UK foosball and feel I can continue to contribute to the game through a Committee role.
--
Manager, TeamGB.

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:27 am

Mase wrote:I like Tom will stand if you do not have enough.
Mase + Tom. I do not believe we are in a time when we are struggling for form a committee. Of the current 11 I believe only Matt is not standing again, and Meng has put himself forward as a new candidate.

Regardless of this however, I would always favour limiting the size of the committee based on the numbers standing, rather than go down the road of anyone who wants in gets in by default.

If you both wish to stand, regardless of candidate numbers, can you please make this known. Which I would welcome you both to do.

As I have proposed vote 1 for the AGM, I believe we should reduce the committee size for next year. I will find time to go through my reasons for this later today. But I am a proponent of competition for places, and am thrilled that we have a number who care about our game enough to want to be involved on the committee.

Joe.

ybbun

Post by ybbun » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:36 pm

I'll stand for an ordinary committee position again.

I am active and reliable, visit the forum every day, vote promptly and offer sensible input to discussions. This year I'll continue to improve the rankings situation, including re-writing the rankings doc so that people can make some sense of it. I'll also be willing to take part in whatever the committee wants to do moving forward.

Bundy Volume 1

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:38 pm

Joe Bundy wrote:As I have proposed vote 1 for the AGM, I believe we should reduce the committee size for next year. I will find time to go through my reasons for this later today.
As promised.

I feel the committee may have been too large this year, and think it may be best to reduce committee numbers from the current 11 this year.

With this number, I feel there has been a lack of unity, maybe for lack of a better word, in the committee. There have been proposals that have been voted through, but have not been actualised as there has been a feeling that on some issues there hasn't been 'committee backing'. This is hard to explain when there was still a majority vote, but it is more my view having experienced this situation.

I feel the current numbers have also decreased the interest of some in the committee. There has been a feeling, in my view, that as there are more committee members that there have previously been 'someone else will do it' has become an excuse for not being involved in various projects. I feel a smaller committee will, by nature, make people feel more involved, and thus they will become more involved.

I will admit that there may have been a lack of direction this year, and that is my failing in my 1st year as Chairman. I have not gone beyond open requests for help. This approach may need to be changed, and have more management of appointing tasks to individuals. This will be an easier task, and more manageable, with a smaller committee.

To say again, I feel we need competition for places in the committee for us to be the most productive. It could be said that right now, with a near 'anyone who wants in can get in' approach, that there is little accountability. I am thrilled there seems to be continued interest to be involved in the committee. I hope this continues, and grows, year on year. If we have a limited committee size, with more candidates than places, then if a committee member has not been living up to their responsibilities than there will be someone else to take their place - knowing that they will have to live up to theirs.

Of course this is not a view shared by everyone, but in my experience throughout the last year it will be a course to take to improve what the BFA currently do.

Of course further discussion along these lines will happen at the AGM. Whatever the outcome of the vote, if re-elected as Chairman I will strive to use my experience in the last year to improve on this year taking the BFA forward.

Joe.

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:02 am

OK, so what exactly is your proposal? Are you just suggesting reducing the number of available committee places, or is it more specific (reduce number of committee places to X). If the former, when and by whom will the decision of the exact number of places be made should your proposal be passed?

EDIT: Sorry, this was actually explained in the first post of the topic. Never mind...
Last edited by Graeme on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OUTFC Secretary

cmau

Post by cmau » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:19 pm

Graeme wrote:OK, so what exactly is your proposal? Are you just suggesting reducing the number of available committee places, or is it more specific (reduce number of committee places to X). If the former, when and by whom will the decision of the exact number of places be made should your proposal be passed?
The relevant section reads:

a. The Executive Committee will consist of a Chairperson, Treasurer and five to nine other Executive Committee members. Executive Committee positions are valid from the time of election or appointment through to the next AGM.

Bundy is proposing a deletion of "to nine" reducing the current committee size by 4.

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:29 pm

I wish to stand again for a normal committee position. I have a huge amount of experience in uk foosball and wish to continue to provide valuable input going forward.

Focus areas being developing the league/club structure with a specific focus in London, continuing to construct a tournament calendar for 2012 to improve attendance and scheduling, encouraging new tournament organisers by acting as a key point of contact on the committee and I will likely organise a large tournament again too. Some of this is in progress currently, some to be started soon.

Steve

Please note I will not be able to attend the AGM (or tournament) in Liverpool. Can we vote by proxy on either/both committee elections and other business?

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:45 pm

Meng - thanks

Joe - sorry for not reading carefully enough
OUTFC Secretary

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:55 pm

Just to confirm that I will be standing again for a committee position, either as an officer (Sec or VC) or an ordinary committee member.

In the past year my priority was to stimulate the formation of clubs and organise the BFA Cup, making a national team competition work. We now have 18x registered clubs around the UK and the number is increasing steadily - there are still major player groups (e.g. Nuneaton/Bar Kick) who have not yet formed into clubs.

Although the number of teams taking part in the BFA Cup was disappointing, those who took part all enjoyed the experience and it lays the foundation for the development of regional or local home and away leagues which I hope to get off the ground this year. 2011 was the start of a long-term development strategy for grass roots foosball in the UK.

2012 - Aim for 30x clubs by the end of the year
3-4 regional home-away leagues (4-player teams open to all ranks but with games handicapped) - possibly leading to a national final for the top 2x teams in each league (BFA Cup)
National Premier League - 7x player teams using European Champions League format/rules and giving qualification to the ECL - held on a single weekend at a central location.
Club pages on BFA website to be improved and user-editable

2013 - Aim for 40x clubs by the end of the year
6-8x regional home/away leagues
National DYP league (following German model)

2014 and beyond - 50+ clubs, regional leagues throughout the UK, the larger leagues with 2 or more divisions and running autonomously as regional federations
Revised membership structure/constitution with players becoming BFA members by virtue of club membership, regional federations as part of BFA governing body.

As part of the promotional campaign for the BFA Cup, all known UK venues were provided with posters for the BFA Cup and laminated Official (simplified) Rules Sheets.

For the record I agree with Joe's proposal to reduce the committee down to 7x voting members, there have been significant problems getting decisions made as 6 votes have been needed for a simple majority and 8 for a 2/3 majority in financial matters, and several committee members have poor voting records (in terms of not voting at all on several motions).

However I would like to see some of the people who might have been voted onto a larger committee being granted 'observer' status, such a group to include persons with specific roles, such as webmaster, womens officer (if not elected within the 7), newsletter editor etc. Observers would be obliged to maintain confidentiality about committee discussions and could contribute to those discussions, but would not have the right (nor the duty) to vote on committee proposals. They would be largely free to work on the areas which interest them or fall within their roles.

The role of working groups has largely fallen by the wayside and need to be revived and the membership of those groups published and members made more accountable. Maybe it is time for a more generic 'activists' group - ask not what the BFA can do for you, but what can you do for the BFA?

Most recent activity by Working Groups
Admin - Aug 09
Constitution - Feb 11
Commercial - Nov 10
Computing - Aug 11
Disciplinary - Feb 11
Elo Rankings - Jun 11
Event Organisers - Jan 12
International Team - Feb 08 (superceded by bespoke forums for specific competitions)
IFA Cttee (courtesy forum for Irish Federation) - May 08
League Organisers - Oct 09
League - Jul 09
Logo/Graphics - Feb 11
Referees - Sep 11
Sports - Apr 11
TCC - Jan 12
Youth & Grass Roots - Apr 11
Nantes 2012 - Jan 12

Christopher Lyall
BFA Regional Rep - South West

Post by Christopher Lyall » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:27 pm

Note to those standing for committee positions at this year's AGM

On Sunday 29th January at 8:30am at the Welkin Wetherspoons (7 Whitechapel, Liverpool, L1 6DS) the new 2012 committee will have their first meeting of the year. This meeting will allow the new committee to meet and get to know each other, get any new members up to speed on the current state of play, sort out any admin and most importantly make plans for the coming year. The anticipation is that committee members will leave the meeting with a clear set of goals, as well as ways to immediately progress in achieving those goals.

In light of this, I would ask that those hoping to be on the committee next year do the following to prepare for this meeting:
  • Have personal details to hand. At the meeting everyone's contact details (phone, email, address) will be taken down.
  • Know your availability for the next few months. Should we wish to arrange any further committee meetings during the year, or plan other important projects, this will be crucial.
  • Assess your ability to contribute. How willing are you to put in effort as a member of the committee? How much time can you spare from other things in your life? When in the year will you not be able to contribute at all? If the committee knows the answers to these questions in advance then they will be able to plan around them.
  • Consider your objectives. Think hard about what your stated objectives are for the committee this year, and how you can realistically achieve them with resources only slightly beyond what you alone are capable of mustering. If you've written a manifesto detailing goals and objectives, then expect to be asked to demonstrate to the rest of the committee how you will achieve them. The expectation is that they WILL be achieved.
  • Be prepared to compromise on tasks. Throughout the year the committee does a few unrewarding tasks that nobody really wants to do, but that must be done. Many of these tasks will be assigned at this meeting. The default position should be that you will end up doing one or more of them.
The meeting shouldn't take longer than two hours at the most if everyone comes prepared. The meeting location is a short walk from the venue and should also provide for some good breakfast.

Thanks,

Chris
Last edited by Christopher Lyall on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.fivebar.co.uk - Foosball Tournaments, Leagues, Shop

Christopher Lyall
BFA Regional Rep - South West

Post by Christopher Lyall » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:08 pm

Meeting time and place now confirmed for 8:30am on Sunday 29th January at the Welkin Wetherspoons (7 Whitechapel, Liverpool, L1 6DS), a short walk from the venue.

Thanks,

Chris
www.fivebar.co.uk - Foosball Tournaments, Leagues, Shop

Teeb

Post by Teeb » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:43 pm

I do not wish to stand for the committee...8.30am!

Mase

Post by Mase » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:33 pm

Hi all,

I have been asked to stand for election and am happy to.

I have a wealth of experience in organising events, have served on the committee previously for 4 years, 2 of which were Vice Chair.

For those attending both Chris Lyall and Boris understand can explain a little behind the work I intend to do with the ITSF and national team concept. We need to be more professional and prepare like the Germans and the French.

Regards,

Ben

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:25 am

So far this is the list of people who are standing (tell me if someone is missing):

Joe Bundy (President)

Chee Meng Au
Chris Lyall
Martin Landers
Jon May
Andrew Nubbert
Steve Lyall
Boris Atha
Ben Mason

Is Worthington standing for re-election as Treasurer? What about Women's Officer?
OUTFC Secretary

Bundy Volume 1

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:28 am

Mayya is standing, John has said he will continue as Treasurer if there is no suitable replacement.

willhawkes
BFA General Secretary

Post by willhawkes » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:23 am

I won't be able to make the AGM as the train gets in too late, but a couple of things:

- I'm not sure if it's an agenda item as such but I would suggest there is in some form a vote of thanks to all the members of the BFA Committee for the time and effort they put into making the sport a success in the UK. Guys, your work results in a great deal of enjoyment for many many people and you deserve recognition for that, thanks.

- I note that there is an intention of perhaps bringing back the newsletter, I'd like to put my hand up to support whoever is going to do that as I feel there's a lot of opportunity there (whether as a newsletter or another format).

Looking forward to the weekend,

Will

Bundy Volume 1

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:20 pm

Mase wrote:We need to be more professional and prepare like the French.
I hate to go off topic in here, but this is an oxymoron. Professional preparation - French?! Don't think you can class cheating as being professional :wink: