BFA AGM - 7pm Friday 27th January

NEW USERS READ FIRST - Registration info & help / Forum rules / Official BFA and BritFoos announcements
Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

BFA AGM - 7pm Friday 27th January

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:32 pm

The Annual General Meeting of the British Foosball Association will be held at 7pm on Friday 27th January 2012 at Rileys Grand Central, Bolton St, Liverpool, as part of the Liverpool Open tournament.

Provisional Agenda

Officers & Working Group Reports
Approval of Accounts
Constitutional Amendments
Vote 1 -
Section 2.1.2.a - Delete 'to nine'

Elections for
- BFA Chairman
- BFA Treasurer
- BFA Committee
- Ratification of Vice-Chair & Secretary posts

Any Other Business:
- UK Championship & POY Rankings

+++

If any other committee members have constitution change proposals please add them here. This must be done by the 6th of January.

For all those wishing to stand for election, I invite all potential candidates for BFA committee positions to put their names forward, together with a 'manifesto' as to their 'qualifications and experience', how they envision the future of foosball in the UK and the steps they would take to realise that vision. You can be as brief or as extensive as you want here.

I will again be standing for Chairman.

cmau

Re: BFA AGM - 7pm Friday 27th January

Post by cmau » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:59 pm

My name is Chee Meng Au and I am known more commonly within the community as Meng and I would like to stand for an ordinary BFA Committee position.

I have been playing foosball competitively for a year now since joining Keele University Foosball Society (KUFS) when I was a fresher. Although not on the current committee at KUFS, I am a dedicated, hardworking member, attending sessions and organising events such as the grudge match against Warwick and getting our society featured in our university magazine. I also created and am an admin of the secret group; the Society for Lovers of Underground Table Soccer.

What I lack in experience I make up for in enthusiasm and friendliness. I am also ranked under UK residents and am on very good terms with other foosball communities. I feel I would be a good addition to the BFA and would serve as a link to one of the larger foosball societies (KUFS) in the UK particularly since we intend to organise a Keele Open this year.

Thank you for reading.

Christopher Lyall
BFA Regional Rep - South West

Post by Christopher Lyall » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:03 pm

I'll be standing for an ordinary committee position.

Working background:
-Served three terms on the executive committee of Warwick University Table Football Society as Logistics and Publicity Officer ('08), President ('09) and Events Coordinator ('10).
-Currently serving as a member of the Tournament Coordination Commission since Nov 2010.
-Currently serving on the BFA Executive Committee since Jan 2011.
-Currently serving on the ITSF Administration Commission since Jan 2012.
-Maintain close personal and (where appropriate) professional contact with many of the UKs leading table suppliers, table distributors, tournament organisers, society committee members and other important persons.

Work this year:
-Coordinating selection of captains/management of national teams for the World Cup and other events.
-Content updates to the National Team Site - soon to be merged.
-UKC practical tasks.
-Active year-long on other ordinary committee activities - voting on proposed issues, responding to external emails, writing news articles and events, communicating with members and other national organisations.

Policies on common issues:
-Desire to move away from the "volunteer" mindset of the community towards a more business-driven approach.
-In favour of tournaments for profit as a method of incentivising organisers.
-In favour of greater professionalism from the committee in communicating with the rest of the community - a clear division between the shared committee opinion and the individual committee member's.
-In favour of greater moderation of the britfoos forum.
-In favour of greater rewards to higher-performing players to incentivise improvement.

Personal goals for the coming year:
-Function as a project coordinator to enact process-related changes to how the committee operates with the goal of introducing a stronger work ethic, greater accountability and financial awareness, more precise documentation and increased motivation within the committee. Specific changes related to this include: the use of fully documented project plans, monthly check-in of committee members via the forum to report on work done, quarterly meetings for the whole committee at a sensible location to discuss key issues efficiently, monthly reports on BFA accounts, encouragement of off-forum modes of communication in the committee, documentation of common and recurring tasks to facilitate easier skills-transfer and efficient handover between committee members.
-Continue the development of the website, focussing on the national team site and BFA Cup section.

Selected Committee goals for the coming year:
-Automation of ranking updates.
-Revival of the newsletter.
-Grow the number of BFA Clubs.
-Increase outreach to schools.
-Create an Elo ranking list to run alongside the current.
-Expand the accessibility of SPORT and instructions for use to the wider community.

Chris
www.fivebar.co.uk - Foosball Tournaments, Leagues, Shop

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:20 pm

Can you be more specific about what the "UK Championship & POY Rankings" discussion is going to be about?
OUTFC Secretary

Christopher Lyall
BFA Regional Rep - South West

Post by Christopher Lyall » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:32 pm

Graeme wrote:Can you be more specific about what the "UK Championship & POY Rankings" discussion is going to be about?
Hi Graeme,

As Joe, Boris and a fair few other committee members are out of the country at the moment I'll try and answer, though only Joe will know all the details. The broad issue is whether or not to continue running a yearly UK Championships as a method of deciding Great Britain's World Championship representatives, bearing in mind the decreased access we now have to official ITSF tables in light of Tornado leaving the ITSF, and the financial expense to the BFA in running the event. That we were only able to run a single-table UKC this year resulted in calls that the integrity of the selection process was diminished. Other alternatives for determining the representatives include reintroducing POY (Player of the Year) rankings, which are currently not in use, though in previous years were used to determine qualifiers to the UKC.

I am not sure whether Joe intends that a formal proposal for one system or another be put forward at the meeting.

I hope that helps clear some things up. If there are any more questions please don't hesitate to post in this thread or send me a message.

Chris
www.fivebar.co.uk - Foosball Tournaments, Leagues, Shop

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:18 pm

Thanks Chris. I will wait for Joe to come back then hopefully he can be more specific about what exactly will be discussed / voted on at the AGM.
OUTFC Secretary

Bundy Volume 1

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:59 pm

Other business will not be votes that require an AGM. They are just things that talking in person may help with. We'll just get some opinions over UKC/POY and talk about the options we know we have to take. I feel this could be useful.

The 1 vote proposed by myself is to reduce the size of the committee. I will explain my reasons here when I am back in the country and haver more time + at the AGM.

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:09 am

Standard AGM agenda items include ratification of the previous minutes (if not already approved by a general meeting), matters arising, chairmans report, setting the membership fees, general meeting quorums, spending limits, accounts report (usually provisional as we tend to end the year in February when we get a full bank statement, and AGM dates can be anytime between Jan and March, and of course elections (Chair, Treasurer and 5 or x exec members from whom Vice Chair and Secretary require ratification. The rest of it comes under Any Other Business so I suggest Agenda items are posted here. Most of the formal stuff can be approved fairly quickly if need be.

The reason why it is being held the night before the LO is because meetings arranged at other times have often struggled to reach a quorum and failed to do so 2 years ago requiring an EGM to ratify decisions which had been made. It is an important legal requirement of our federation to have an annual general meeting and provides the members with the opportunity to hold the officers and executive committee to account. In 2007 the AGM was held the day after the LO (which was only a one-dayer the first year) and was well-attended, as was last years AGM. Subsequent meetings in Bristol and London were not. This year we are not running events alongside the AGM.

There are many more ways of being involved with making the BFA a successful federation, we do what we can with the limited number of people we have making things happen, but we could do so much more if we had more of you became actively involved with the organisation beyond turning up at playing sessions and tournaments (if you do) and posting on the forum (if you do). Most of all those groups of players who have not yet done so should form into clubs which is the way forward to grow foosball both socially and competitively going forward. The BFA Cup was only the start, and many thanks to those who have formed clubs and made it such an enjoyable event for all concerned, the future is up to you but with the existing and potential new clubs the prospect of local or regional home-away leagues has come a lot closer.

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:05 pm

Count me in for Committee - I shall be flying the flag in the North - Manifesto to follow - Also, any chance of the AGM being on the Saturday when all the committee can be there
Martin Landers
Secretary - Darlington Table Football Club

Matt Price
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Price » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:50 pm

I shall be standing down as a member of the committee. I have enjoyed being a part of it and best of luck to all those putting themselves forward.

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:02 pm

Following on from my earlier question (please move this if it belongs somewhere else):

I strongly feel players should be aware of how selection for the following year's World Championships will take place *in advance* of the first tournament of the new season.

If there are discussions / player feedback that the committee want then why hasn't the forum been used for this? I'm not convinced that a group discussion at the AGM is going to be productive for the decision-making process.
OUTFC Secretary

davez

Post by davez » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:40 pm

I agree 100% with everything Graeme has said. I note that it may already be too late to make informed attendance and partner choices for the Liverpool tournament in respect to AGM decisions regarding the UKC.

It would be useful to get a confirmation that creating and executing the process (whatever it is) for selecting UK World Championship representatives is a responsibility of the BFA.

It would also be useful to understand what the issues are surrounding UKC, and whether BFA member opinion has been or will be solicited.
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

Bundy Volume 1

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:54 pm

Joe Bundy wrote:Other business will not be votes that require an AGM. They are just things that talking in person may help with. We'll just get some opinions over UKC/POY and talk about the options we know we have to take. I feel this could be useful.
We are not going to be making world championship qualification decisions at the AGM. None were proposed for votes.

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:55 pm

Count me in for Committee - I shall be flying the flag in the North.... I feel inspired by some of the stuff I've read above from prospective committee members, I only wish my comments were as elequently structured so apologies in advance because they are not.

Here goes:

Darlington Table Football Club continues to operate and has a strong membership and governance structure. Members meet once a month to play in our league which club members run and manage.

The league is regularly advertised through the press/media/social networks and our aim this year is to focus our efforts on consolidating membership; providing a high standard of competition through a divisional league structure so that good players improve and new players aren’t immediately put off by superior opposition.

We have a club model that works well based on segregating activities. One part of what we do is geared towards developing new venues with tables and the other part focusses on developing players and the player experience and encouraging people to get involved in the game.

We are a constituted Club solely owned by members. We use club funds to buy coin-op tables which generate club funds which in turn keeps our club on an upwards slope. Next week we'll install our first tables in Sunderland and one in Richmond North Yorkshire widening our network to 10 venues. But that’s the easy bit - Our main focus is developing our league because it’s the people/players that matter.

In terms of a vision for the future of the game nationally and my involvement in the BFA. As a Committee our BIGGEST priority must be to push forward the development of a national network of clubs. The BFAs performance in 2012 should be measured against this outcome and all our activities as an organization ought to be geared towards achieving this aim – even if this means rewriting web pages or policy documents.

Clubs should then be listed on the Website together with the secretaries Contact details so players who access our forum seeking to get involved in the game are encouraged to either join a club or form one. I could offer support to anyone who needs help with this. Boris has done much of the hardwork by developing model Constitutions and the BFA cUP. Lets aim for 20 Clubs this year geographically spread out across the UK.

The BFA should also continue the push for sports status so we can access all the benefits of charitable status - And within 3 years I would like to see nobody hold a seat on the BFA Committee unless he/she is the secretary of a Constituted Table Football Club - We need to get a national structure embedded which emulates the Football League and slowly move away from one based around individuals and all their idiosyncracies.

I would also like to see the BFA Committee being supportive and professional in all things they do. This means avoiding indulging themselves in debates about (on the Forum) around which table is better than another and focus on the bigger picture. If some kid contacts us because he got an Argos Table for Xmas lets not tell him that he needs a Tornado to learn to play.

I would like to be Vice Chair this year but if I fail to capture enough votes, continuing as I am an ordinary member. Next year or the year after when Darlington Table Football Club is the largest and most successful club in the UK I will be standing for the position of Chairman.

Good luck everyone
Martin Landers

cmau

Post by cmau » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:16 pm

Elvis wrote:Next year or the year after when Darlington Table Football Club is the largest and most successful club in the UK I will be standing for the position of Chairman.

Good luck everyone
That is a very impressive manifesto Martin. I have one main question regarding your final point and that is how do you gauge the "success" of a club?

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:30 pm

The size of the league - Membership
Martin Landers

cmau

Post by cmau » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:34 pm

What is the estimated size of Darlington TFC?

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:55 pm

Hi cmau

Thanks for your questions.

Sorry - My computer battery run out on me, hence the short answer.

Darlington Table Football Club (DTFC) is about to commence a new Season on January 27th.

The size of the league varies from season to season as some players leave and new players join. Im sending out information to all the players who are currently logged on our database to dertermine who wants to compete in the up and coming season and who dosent.

I determine the size of the club by the number of players who sign up to participate in any at the beginning of any new season. I would envisage about 16 players will be taking part but I hope there will be more. So our Club is 16 strong, or thereabouts. I'll know for definate on the 27th by who shows up.

I think your question is a good one to ask however - I could have also answered it in many ways e.g. By how much money we have in the bank, or the number of table we own.... But I dont think these matter - These are what are known as Outputs, a term used by funders, Big Lottery Etc (Outputs are the Actions we take to lay the foundations). Its the Outcomes that matter (the effect this is having and the number of people that are getting involved..... Some of our tables are harldly used, others generate enough income to cover the capital costs within three months.

Feel free to question some more.
Martin Landers

cmau

Post by cmau » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:27 pm

Thanks for your reply Martin!

I was just curious as I wanted to measure the standing of KUFS compared to DTFC when you claim that it will be the largest and most successful club within the next 2 years possibly. I agree with you that getting the numbers up and introducing new people into the game is important in for the success of the game.

However, I politely disagree that DTFC will be the most successful club based on the size of its membership alone.

Even though I hate to admit it, If I were to say who is the overall most successful club, it would be Warwick based on their tradition of being one of the top societies, having introduced a numbers of players into the tournament scene and many of them having gone on to become pros and pro-masters even playing for Team GB. Their member list may only be about 16 strong (or even less) too but I think that's just as good for competitive foosball.

I however wish DTFC every success and hope you can prove me wrong!

Teeb

Post by Teeb » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:33 pm

Hi

I'll do it if you do not get enough other people.

Tom