BFA AGM 2007 - Sunday 28/01 (CONFIRMED)

NEW USERS READ FIRST - Registration info & help / Forum rules / Official BFA and BritFoos announcements
Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:42 am

There is nothing in the constitution about disallowing proxy voting, and it is something that has been offered before. That does not mean people have any right to vote by proxy. It all comes down to the orderly management of the voting process.

I think my posts above are clear. If people are unable to attend, they may register a proxy vote, which i will try to ensure is used appropriately,  although i am unable to make any guarantees and the "meeting" will need to approve any such treatment of votes.

Yes - please register a vote by the end of today.

Richard

Chaz

Post by Chaz » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:47 am

How can we vote by the end of today if we don't know all the candidates?

El Capitan

Post by El Capitan » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:57 am

Chaz wrote:How can we vote by the end of today if we don't know all the candidates?
Exactly.

Rich - I'm sure your words before were something like "If you don't turn up to the AGM, you don't have the right to vote"

Mase

Post by Mase » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:37 pm

Well put JW. If you to want a vote attend the AGM!

The only thing that has swung my attendance for the Liverpool comp is the AGM.

Catherine

Post by Catherine » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:25 pm

Mase, as always, you seem to have missed the point. Try taking a few more seconds to read posts. Rest and contemplate for 2 minutes, then formulate your reply.

lol

I believe that JW was quoting Richard - not stating an opinion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The AGM is indeed a very important event, and myself, I would love to be there. But there ARE other more important things in life than that, and than foosball, and after "giving up" (for want of a better term!) 2 nights and 1 day for foosball, the last thing I can do on Sunday is attend the AGM.

BFA members should not be put under any pressure to attend an AGM. Each person needs to make the decision based on what else is going on in their lives.

Last year I could not attend because I was travelling the States playing foosball. I was not able to vote by proxy, and neither was Mark Williams who also wanted to vote in this manner (I believe).

I wanted to attend this year, and I also had something to contribute. I am disappointed I can't come...but relieved that I can at least vote by proxy for people who will be making very important decisions over the next year about issues which I care about very much.

I don't believe that I have to demonstrate my commitment to foosball or to helping promote the game by forcing myself to go to the AGM.

I think it's pretty clear by now how much I love it and how much I do to help.

Definately a step in the right direction! Thanks guys! :)

Cath
LLAB

Catherine

Post by Catherine » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:16 pm

Richard wrote: - Addition of a Committee posts vs roles concept. Essentially, if a webmaster / woman's rep does not stand for the committee then the proposal is to draft one in.
What does this mean Richard?

What does it mean to 'draft one in'?

and from where?

Cheers Cath
LLAB

Naked Snake

Post by Naked Snake » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:34 pm

Mase wrote:Well put JW. If you to want a vote attend the AGM!

What about if you are a Brit overseas but still have an interest in the development of the UK game?
Just Cup Them

Mase

Post by Mase » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:46 pm

Whether or not, the statement IMO was correct.

Firstly Cath, if believe it is important then why not attend the AGM and not the foos the day before this is entirely your decision. BUT i dont feel people should be allowed to vote by proxy unless this is done correctly. Currently its a farce.

There should have been a date set by which people intending to stand had to declare and those wanting to vote by proxy would have a clear idea of those satnding.

I have seen no examples of people being put under pressure to attend the AGM, if you feel that has happend please give me an example, if not please make it clear that your comments are merely conjecture and not statements of fact.

I will leave this now as this is not the forum.

Mase

Mase

Post by Mase » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:48 pm

Naked Snake wrote:
Mase wrote:Well put JW. If you to want a vote attend the AGM!

What about if you are a Brit overseas but still have an interest in the development of the UK game?
Then a fully thought through and properly managed Proxy vote system should be put in place!

Chaz

Post by Chaz » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:55 pm

Mase wrote:a fully thought through and properly managed Proxy vote system should be put in place!
:)

Catherine

Post by Catherine » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:27 pm

Mase - don't worry.

I responded to you

then I put a line

----------------------------------

separating the other stuff.

This obviously wasn't clear enough that I was not writing it all to you - and if this is the case then I apologise for not being clearer about the separation.

I was making a general point that if people can't vote by proxy, then they are under pressure to attend the AGM! If people care, then they want to vote.

I'm going to the tournie and not the AGM. I have a number of reasons for this, which aren't relevant to this discussion.

If anyone could answer the question about what richard meant about women's position or drafting in women's stuff, that would be great. I'm waiting to go to bed!
LLAB

Catherine

Post by Catherine » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:50 pm

p.s. Good point that we should have a clear and thought out in advance system for proxy voting. Perhaps we can get this in line for next year.

This year, I think it's great that we are finally accepting proxy voting - we have to start somewhere - I seem to remember this piont coming up last year and the year before. Finally we have got somewhere! This is good!

Good night all!
LLAB

davez

Post by davez » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:50 am

I support what Cath is saying here.

Moreover, in this day and age I see no compelling reason to require physical presence at an AGM to empower the members. I also don't see how the possibility of last minute declarations at the AGM can benefit the membership more than advance knowledge and transparency can.

Would it be either unreasonable or unusual to provide (in future years) a deadline by which candidates must declare, so that everyone knows in advance which posts are being contested, and can base their voting decisions on complete information?

Dave

davez

Post by davez » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:59 am

I have just realised that the term "proxy vote" has been used incorrectly in this thread and others and may have caused confusion.

A proxy vote is vote that is cast by one person on behalf of another person. For example, if I know that I cannot attend the AGM, and if I have a proxy vote, I can authorise someone who is going to the AGM to vote on my behalf.

With a proxy vote agreed, I would presumably not need to make my voting decisions in advance.

Richard, is that the facility you intended to provide?

So what Cath and naked and others have been talking about here is not proxy voting at all, but rather the power to cast, in advance of the AGM, a vote by post, email or phone. There's probably a term for this but I can't think of it, perhaps "postal voting" will do.

Dave

Messiah

Post by Messiah » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:53 pm

Bearing in mind the number of BFA members, then a proxy vote like DZ has suggested could easily become akin to the Union block vote at conferences, completely overwhelming any decision that the meeting wanted to take.

Richard

Post by Richard » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:16 pm

A proxy vote is an effectively giving authority for someone else to vote on one's behalf. My offer was to cover people who wanted to be represented at the AGM but were unable to attend in person. The deadline was short to identify those people for whom it was a big issue.  

The relative lack of take up on this offer, combined with the lack of competition for positions (so far anyway), means that the precense or absence of "proxy" voting will in all likelihood have no effect on the outcome.

Cath - for someone who clearly spends a lot of time on BritFoos, and who is in the priviledged position of being a member of the female community on Britfoos, i am surprised (and slightly alarmed) at your query above.

Thanks
Richard

davez

Post by davez » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:25 pm

Dan,

I'd like to understand what you are saying a bit better...

I didn't suggest proxy voting, I think Richard did, I just tried to understand what it meant.

What I was suggesting is that people shouldn't have to attend an AGM in order to vote for an officer. Is this the thing you mean that is like a block vote?

Dave

Messiah

Post by Messiah » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:33 pm

davez wrote:Dan,

I'd like to understand what you are saying a bit better...

I didn't suggest proxy voting, I think Richard did, I just tried to understand what it meant.

What I was suggesting is that people shouldn't have to attend an AGM in order to vote for an officer. Is this the thing you mean that is like a block vote?

Dave
I didn't mean you suggested a proxy vote, I meant the correct way of implementing it was defined by your post.

Jonathan may
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jonathan may » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:48 pm

Richard

Given the deadline has passed:

1. Will it be extended?
2. If so, will candidates be forced to declare before the deadline?
3. If not, can you inform us how many votes have been cast via this mechanism?

Thanks

Jon

Catherine

Post by Catherine » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:31 am

Richard wrote:Cath - for someone who clearly spends a lot of time on BritFoos, and who is in the priviledged position of being a member of the female community on Britfoos, i am surprised (and slightly alarmed) at your query above.

Thanks
Richard
Dear Rich

Hello! I hardly spend any time on Britfoos anymore - this past week has been an exception as I have been laid up with a 'broken'(?) toe - so sort of forced to rest - lol - and been at the parents house.

I was confused by your terminology that's all - no need for alarm! - basically...
If a woman decides not to stand
then you are going to "draft one in"

I was asking for confirmation of what you meant by "drafting one in".

Would you now be in a position to answer my query? I hope this is clearer!

Thanks a lot, Cath
LLAB