Revisions to BFA Membership Scheme

NEW USERS READ FIRST - Registration info & help / Forum rules / Official BFA and BritFoos announcements
willhawkes
BFA General Secretary

Revisions to BFA Membership Scheme

Post by willhawkes » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:23 am

We announce some changes to the BFA Membership scheme. These will make it easier to understand what value you get from being a member of the BFA, as well as making it easier to administer. The changes are as follows:

1. “Basic Membership” has been removed.
2. Membership is no longer required to participate in the BFA League, although it is still necessary to play in the BFA League Championships.
3. Membership is not required to participate in UK events ranked Cat C or below. It is still needed in order to participate in the UK Championships, however.
4. Membership is offered by calendar year, e.g. from1 Jan – 31 Dec. Aa part of this, memberships taken up after 1 Sep 2015 extend until 31 Dec 2016.
5. Foreign Associate membership is only required to participate in UK Cat A & B events (e.g. ITSF Master Series & Pro Tour events).

Note that memberships fees are unchanged.

Essentially, BFA membership is now the passport through which players can benefit from the BFA’s own participation in the ITSF. The BFA will use the funds raised from your membership fees to pay our annual contribution to the ITSF (as we can expect these to be broadly of the same magnitude).

The updated wording is thus:

Full Membership
- Eligible to enter a BFA sanctioned event Cat B or above
- Eligible for an ITSF licence
- Eligible to represent Great Britain
- Voting rights at General Meetings
Price - £5 per year if registering via an official BFA Club OR £10 per year otherwise. Novices, Juniors and unranked players get £5 off, i.e. pay £5 or £0 depending on whether registering via a club.

Foreign Associate
- Eligible to enter a BFA sanctioned event cat B or above
- Right to attend AGM but no voting rights
Price - £5 per year.

Please let me know with any questions.

Will Hawkes
Secretary

robmoss2k

Re: Revisions to BFA Membership Scheme

Post by robmoss2k » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:59 pm

Seems like these changes might struggle to cover even the annual ITSF fees with so few tournaments?

willhawkes
BFA General Secretary

Post by willhawkes » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:57 pm

By my back of an envelope maths, I reckoned they'll net out about right, Bobby. It might be we're short some years and long the other.

robmoss2k

Post by robmoss2k » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:10 pm

OK. Is there anything being done to solve the "where's the tournaments" problem? Clubs are all well and good, but the only jump most players seem to have at the moment is going from playing their mates weekly or monthly to playing abroad, which is a fairly mighty leap most probably won't take, particularly if they show up to the UKC and get battered.

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:50 pm

To hold tournaments we need people to run them, which at the end of the day means having people prepared to stay behind after the event to dismantle and pack away the tables for loading. If we need to pay people to do this it has to come out of the prize fund. Most of the "Golden Generation" who started playing at Uni 10-15 years ago have got married and had kids and most are (at least for the time being) lost to competitive foosball, and there are too few new players with the confidence and experience to host major events. If I had a team of 3x reliable people willing to help run a tournament I would revive the Liverpool Open next year, but I cannot do it myself.

However across the UK there are more competitions than ever before - small local events (Cat E or D) which contribute towards Regional Championships - which are treated as Cat D or C (if over 10x events in 3 or more venues) sanctioned tours. In the North West there are monthly Open Multitable competitions (next OS on Fri 20th) at the Rainbow and a range of amateur only events across the region, with an Open DYP in Chester this Monday (23 Nov). There were 6x events in October in the NW! Anyone can hold a Cat E competition on any full-sized table type, with a minimum of 4x singles players or 3x doubles teams to qualify for ranking status, and a minimum 1 week notice period (via Britfoos and/or Facebook).

As ITSF have removed the limits on the number of MS and PT competitions each nation can hold, any National events (other than the UKC) should be ITSF events going forward - the BFA is prepared to fund the sanction fee for Pro-Tour events, organisers can pay the extra (£135) to upgrade to Master Series. The BFA has 10x ITSF Garlando tables available for the cost of transport (with further tables available for hire from third parties), and experienced tournament directors to run events on the day, all organisers need to do is find a suitable venue (for at least 10x tables with wheelchair accessibility to let them be wheeled into place), agree the schedule, entry fees and prize funds with the TD, and provide trophies or medals. It isn't rocket science, but obviously experience helps, and there are plenty of people able to offer advice and guidance on running tournaments.

robmoss2k

Post by robmoss2k » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:13 pm

I'm well aware of all that. My problem is that the BFA has changed its stance on what people need to be members for and the only thing membership is required for isn't what people are going to turn up to. If there were major tournaments like there used to be when we had 10-15 a year then the number of members would more than pay for the annual ITSF fees and more besides, but what worries me is that we'll end up with 10-15 people competing internationally, a dwindling handful at the UKC as newer players have no major tournament practice and know what will happen to them there, and a BFA with no money to further the promotion of the game. Just want to make sure this policy change and its consequences have been thought through really carefully, as right now it feels like it needs a bit more consideration.

willhawkes
BFA General Secretary

Post by willhawkes » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:18 am

Bobby,

I appreciate you putting your thoughts down, it's great that someone is actually interested in this!

As the initiator of the revisions to the scheme (and the person who looks after it), perhaps I can give a bit more background. There are essentially only two changes here.

The first was to align the scheme with the reality of how it was actually being administered. We were requiring membership to play in the BFA League but no-one was paying, no-one was collecting, no-one was chasing, and it would be hard to articulate the value people got from that membership. Also, we required it for Cat C tournaments, (in recent past, only Tich / Isha and JP's larger Bonzini event). At the Isha events, as with the BFA League, no-one was collecting unless I happened to be there; for JP's event, the membership requirement ended up actually deterring people from coming.

It's actually really hard to collect membership fees - unless people do it online, I need to get someone to sit at the desk of an event, check a list, and chase people down for their money, explaining what they get for their membership. Easier to simply say, it goes to pay our membership of the ITSF, and to line it up with those events which directly relate to that.

The other change was to align it to the calendar year Jan 1 - Dec 31. Again it just makes it easier for me to administer.

I suppose another thing is that, for the foreseeable future the BFA has enough funds on hand to cover the eventuality of us not having enough members to pay the take. My back of an envelope reckoned we need around 75 people paying annually, and on recent experience, we should about that.

Cheers,

Will

robmoss2k

Post by robmoss2k » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:06 am

willhawkes wrote:I suppose another thing is that, for the foreseeable future the BFA has enough funds on hand to cover the eventuality of us not having enough members to pay the take. My back of an envelope reckoned we need around 75 people paying annually, and on recent experience, we should about that.
That bit is my worry. With these changes, I suspect that figure of 75 will reduce year-on-year as the lack of tournaments at which to gain experience and practice scare people off from getting a hammering at the UKC.