Rob Davey

NEW USERS READ FIRST - Registration info & help / Forum rules / Official BFA and BritFoos announcements
Martyn

Re: Rob Davey

Post by Martyn » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:12 pm

Important Announcement:

I have just come off the phone with Robs mum again.

The funeral will be held at South Bristol Crematorium on Wednesday 18th September at 3pm.

There will be no wake.

I am thinking of saying a few words, she thought that was a good idea as she said that Rob and I go back to the very beginning of his foosball career. If anyone else would like to then please let me know, I believe Mase intends to also.

It's so strange not having him around, I think of him all the time and miss him terribly.

Martyn
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

Mase

Post by Mase » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:41 pm

Hi All,

As Martyn says those are the arrangements. There is more information that perhaps at times like this are not always relayed by the family as they have many more things on their mind. Hopefully the below covers the rest off.

I asked if they would like donations to a charity or Flowers. They have not chosen a charity and have said that flowers can be sent to Thomas Davis Funeral Directors, Southville Lodge, Southville Road, Bristol, BS3 1DJ.

Kelly (Rob's sister) has asked me to say a few words which I have agreed to, over the last few years like many of you I have travlled and played with Rob, I even lived with him for a while. The family have asked me to say they been so touched by the comments received and posted on the Facebook thread which they have access tothrough Rob's profile and are so happy to hear how much he meant to so many people.

So in that vein I asked if they would like to receive cards on condolence, it was suggested these should be sent to Rob's mum Roberta, known by most as Bob. If you would like to send a card of condolence please sent it to: Roberta Davey, 25 Queens Hill, Knowle, Bristol, BS4 2XL.

As Martyn says the feeling that Rob is so strange. The fact he is no longer with us is simply too alien at the moment to understand, I can't believe I will never see him again, never board a plane with him off on a foos adventure. Never again will we tease people together and laugh til our guts ache.

So sad for all of us!

Rainbow Les

Post by Rainbow Les » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:40 pm

Just read the sad news that Rob has passed away. Thoughts are with his family. He was a great person and player. Will be missed by all that knew him. I will let the lads know tonight in the rainbow.

Oatsey

Post by Oatsey » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:35 pm

Joe Koonce who organises the Bart O fallen foosers annual tournament which honours foosball players who have died during the year in the USA has agreed to include Rob Davey and his name will be enshrined on the amazing trophy for the October event as shown in this thread on the USA forum:

http://foosballboard.net/phpBB/viewtopi ... 4b2326676f

Rob would have liked that I am sure.

davez

Post by davez » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:23 pm

Anyone going to Rob's funeral from London, traveling on the 12:30pm train? If so it might be nice to share a cab together to the crematorium. Facebook me please.
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

kizersose

Post by kizersose » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:26 pm

So sad to hear the news about Rob,, not been on britoos for a long time, my thoughts with his family,,RIP Rob.
George.
Kick ass at Nante British team good luck

Mase

Post by Mase » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:35 am

A quick update for tomorrow.

Having spoke with Dave Oates and a few others although the family are not having a wake it is felt a few of us would like to go for a drink to remember Rob and toast his name.

Dave O has kindly done some research and found the Cross Hands pub. This is about 500 yards away from the Crem.

They are both located on Bridgwater Road BS13 7AS

Regards,

Ben Mason

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:12 pm

The funeral took place today and as Paul Martin noticed, there were 13 foosers who attended, the same number of players on a Tornado, arguably Robs best table.

In alhabetical order: Mike Amsden, Boris Atha, Dave Bareham, Chris Bulley, Martyn Harris, Paul Martin, Ben Mason, Jon May, Alun Oates, Dave Oates, Alex Shovelton, John Shovelton and Dave Ziemann

Big thanks to you all on behalf of Rob and his family, especially the far travelled ones. Thanks to Ben for relating his personal memories (and a great poem too) plus reading the family communication.

All foosers except DZ (who had a train to catch) then went to a local pub and celebrated Robs life including remembering some of his legendary stories which were truly hilarious.

It's pretty fair to say there aren't a lot of characters like Rob around and we all should be quite sad that he's gone, but extremely glad that we knew him.

R.I.P. Rob Davey, gone but not forgotten.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

davez

Post by davez » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:30 pm

It was a good service and I'm so glad I went. I'm pleased I saw Bel (Rob's girlfriend) and was able to share a hug with her. Martyn and Mase both gave very moving eulogies. Martyn, I don't know how you did that without cracking, I thought you were amazing. Mase, I can't believe you actually included that 'two hands better than one' elliptical reference to a theme which Rob pursued in Nantes!
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:31 am

Just wanted to mark the one year anniversary of the passing of my old mate Rob, I have no idea where that 12 months went.

It's still hard to think he's not here, there have been many times I have wanted to call him, times I half expected my next text to be from him asking a question about the next tournament, his review of the last one or just a joke so filthy I'd rock with laughter but then quickly delete it!

Still miss him, that won't change, I almost feel him watch me write this and him teasing me mercilessly about being so melancholy!

Martyn
Albert Einstein

willhawkes
BFA General Secretary

Post by willhawkes » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:43 pm

I put a post up on the BFA's Facebook page Martyn, there are a few sad comments there too.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:33 am

Very much appreciated, thanks.
Albert Einstein