Rob Davey

NEW USERS READ FIRST - Registration info & help / Forum rules / Official BFA and BritFoos announcements
Martyn

Rob Davey

Post by Martyn » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:46 am

After just speaking to his mother a moment ago, I am utterly devastated to bring you all the dreadful news that Rob Davey sadly passed away at 3.15pm yesterday (Sunday) afternoon. He was recently admitted to hospital with pneumonia but I am not sure know what that may have developed into.

I said to his mum that I would be in touch with her again and that of course I would tell the foosball community immediately.

I feel sick to my stomach, I cannot believe it, I shall miss him terribly as I know will you all.

Rest in peace my very very good pal.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

Mase

Tragic News

Post by Mase » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:49 am

I am awfully sad to let you all know that yesterday at around 3.15pm Rob Davey passed away.

I am sure like me you will all be in shock.

This is such a sad event we all knew might potentially happen but equally knowing Rob we thought he'd fight through.

Details of the funeral will follow and I will let everyone know.

Regards,

Ben Mason

Bullshark

Re: Rob Davey

Post by Bullshark » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:59 am

RB you were a good mate I will miss you this is very sad and wish his family long life.

Rest in peace mate.

Mike C

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:54 am

My thoughts go out to his family and close friends.

He was quite unique, a good man, and shall very much be missed.

Cream Pants

Post by Cream Pants » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:39 pm

Absoloutely devestated about this! We were briefed earlier in work and although we knew he was in a bad way we did not expect this! Still waiting for it to sink in...

He was a great guy and I was fortunate enough to not only work with him but to also have played in several tournaments with him and be part of some hilarious trips with him and many others from the foosball community.

This is a huge loss and I know he will be missed by all! Thoughts are with his family at this terrible time.

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:51 pm

This is devastating news - Our thoughts go out his his family; from all of us up here in Darlington
Martin Landers
Secretary - Darlington Table Football Club

matty96
BFA Regional Rep - North

Post by matty96 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:45 pm

Such shocking and tragic news.
I personally had some great games with Rob over the last few years and learnt so much from him.
On behalf of the Junior Team I pass on our deepest sympathies.

A massive loss to Team GB and the British Foosball community as a whole.

R.I.P.

davez

Post by davez » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:57 pm

I posted this on facebook, but I want to post here here too:

Those who knew Rob even slightly are struggling to cope with this news. I knew him mainly as a great table football player, the best of the UK seniors. He was a terrifically tenacious opponent, and a fantastic, supportive partner. But I also knew him as someone with a uniquely wicked sense of humour, one which he would sometimes use to hide a deeply caring nature. I'll never forget him, and I'll always miss him.
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

Messiah

Post by Messiah » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:27 pm

I am shocked to here this - my thoughts are with Rob's family.

Martyn/Mase - thank you for posting this on Britfoos, it can't have been easy.
Still going....

Oatsey

Post by Oatsey » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:09 pm

What can I say???????

This news was truly shocking.

Rob has been a great friend of mine since he looked like this :

Glove User by Famous AL, on Flickr

that's over 35 years ago!

He was a phenomenal talent and naturally gifted at foosball , basically the Rob Atha of his day winning trophies in major international events at a ridiculously young age like this (with my old mate Martyn) :

IR 1 by Famous AL, on Flickr

He was always part of the foosball scene and got on with everyone with his great sense of humour and live life to the full attitude as shown here with Bruce (yes it is Bruce!):

Bruce and Rob by Famous AL, on Flickr

He stopped playing like myself and Martyn for nearly 20 years after TS died until the good old internet made him aware of the Mighty Bush:

bush 22 by Famous AL, on Flickr

We could not believe it when he walked in but after 5 minutes it was like he had never been away and I was already laughing (and as usual flinching!) at the stories he was telling us of what he had been doing in the meantime!

I will always remember our "Boys from the Bush" trip to Vegas for the Tornado worlds which was incredible fun and an amazing experience creating many special memories:

Vegas2006102 by Famous AL, on Flickr

It was great to see Rob rapidly once again become a force in the UK game with nobody really wanting to be drawn to play against him.
We had some great times together travelling to numerous events both in the Uk and abroad and the last one being in Nantes 2013 where we were both members of the GB Senior Team See facebook album here :

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Undoubtedly if he put his mind to it he could have been a worthy Uk Senior World Champion .

Like many others I will miss him a great deal and my thoughts are with his Mother and family as like us they come to terms with this loss.

RIP Rob Davey - a truly unique individual.

PADDY.

Post by PADDY. » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:43 pm

I am so sorry to hear this tragic news.

I did not know Rob that well, but whenever i saw him we always shared some down to the knuckle banter.

A good man with a great sense of humour.

A true giant of the UK foos scene.

My thoughts are with his family.

God bless you Rob

Simmo

Post by Simmo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:32 am

I am absolutely shocked to hear about this!

Rob was a great man, and i will always remember him for is very unique humour.

He always seems to put a smile on my face when times were good or bad, on or off the table.

He will be missed greatly but will never be forgotten.

Rest in peace Rob.

Chris H

Post by Chris H » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:20 am

Very sad news, I think it will take a while to sink in. Rob was a true character and always made me smile when we met, with a great sense of humour and someone you couldn't help but like. A very good player on any table and I will remember our times spent together in Nantes. My thoughts go out to his Family at this very sad time.

Chris

PaulM

Post by PaulM » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:27 am

I have been crying, but not out of sadness, but laughter. I have been re reading his 'posts' here on Britfoos.
Rob was a complete star. He took no prisoners, he would slap down anyone. He was rude, and at times inappropriate. Once he started on you, you were his Bitch for life. He was a joy.
His Humour is living on in the Posts. Take the time to read them for yourselves.
You will be crying and laughing and missing him.

Shovo

Post by Shovo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:58 am

Thanks for the tip, Paul. I suggest that anyone struggling to smile at the moment has a look at this.

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:48 pm

Mase rang me yesterday morning with the sad news - although we knew he had been seriously ill with pneumonia it had looked like he was on the mend, so it was a real shock to learn that he didn't pull through. Rob was a fearsome competitor (I never got the better of him in singles) and one of his last results in foosball was beating current world doubles No 1 Giuliano Bentivoglio in the Senior Doubles final at Liverpool. His demise is a huge loss to the Senior team. A year earlier he reached the quarter finals of THE world championships mens doubles in Nantes - a serious achievement by anyone's standards.

His sense of humour was legendary - impudent and irreverent - and about as non-PC as you can get. He certainly kept the forum moderators group busier than anyone else (except perhaps Kalsi) and he certainly knew how to wind people up. I remember being in stitches in the post-tourney senior team meal in Nantes with some of his anecdotes.

The game has lost a great player and a great character. Irreplaceable!

RIP Rob!

joshjaeger

Post by joshjaeger » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:12 pm

Bloop
Babyfoot for a better society

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:38 pm

I still can't believe it.

I've just got back from the Tornado Worlds where Jim Stevens came up to me yesterday morning with an oddly serious look on his face. At first I thought he was trying to sell me some of his DVDs before he broke the news to me. Literally just the day before we were chatting for quite a while about Rob and some of the stories of Jim's trips with him and wondering how he was doing...

Rob was an extraordinary and brilliant character. He was always one of the first people you would want to play pick up games with, especially after a defeat as within a few seconds you'd be laughing and happy again. A really nice guy, a kind bloke who was so easy to get along with, I will miss him. It was a pleasure to be able to play with and against him in tournaments over the last 6-7 years and he will be a great loss to our community. I've not cried so much in a long time.

Rest in peace mate.

Steve

Pete F

Post by Pete F » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:30 pm

This is very sad news. I don't play any more but I remember playing Rob in one of his first comeback tournaments in Oxford, and just scraping over the line against a very shrewd defender, 9-8 after being 6-0 up when he started brick-walling my attacker. Soon after that he was Pro and then PM again and I never even came close.

He was a great guy to talk to off the table - very funny and easy to get on with, provided you gave some banter back! My best wishes to his family and those who were close to him. RIP.

Oatsey

Post by Oatsey » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:23 am

Nice gesture from the yanks who organise the annual bart o fallen foosers event in the states. I am sure Rob would have appreciated this.
This is indeed very sad news. Wish I could have met Rob, sounds like a really great guy with a lot of passion for foosball. We will celebrate Rob's life along with our other fallen foos family that we have lost since the last Bart O'. He will also be honored this October with his name on one of our tournament foosball tables and on our celebration of life trophy.
Rest in Peace Rob Davey, you will be missed and never forgotten...

Stay Strong, Foos On,
Joe Koonce