Capital Venue Open - feedback and afterglow etc

Tournament announcements + Results + Match Reports
Oatsey

Capital Venue Open - feedback and afterglow etc

Post by Oatsey » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:18 pm

Hi guys.
Firstly a massive thankyou to everyone who came and supported this event.
Myself, the venue and the Five Bar guys are extremely greatful and would invite you to give constructive feedback and afterglow so things can be tweaked and improved for future events as the Capital Venue Tour Develops.

I know most of you will have appreciated the time and effort put in to make the event happen and the potential of the venue for future events.

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Re: Capital Venue Open - feedback and afterglow etc

Post by Boris » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:13 pm

Thanks to everyone who worked hard to make this event happen. The venue is everything it was cracked up to be, the Leonhart tables are just about the best tables out there (controversial perhaps but they are well-made and can support all styles of play. The only disappointment about the venue was the PA which was pretty awful and fuzzy.

Obviously the highlight was taking my first ITSF Senior Singles title in the UK. The final against Eddie was epic, both sets going the full distance and all but a couple of the games close-fought. Eddie had done me in the winners final (another 5-setter) showing the advantages of a player with a German table (Tec-Ball) to practice his bank-shots on and they were flying in from all over the place, but I managed in the final to block almost all of them which probably made the difference in the end.

Other highlights were more 5-set victories, (6 in all including the final) including two where I won from 2 games down (against Scott Walding in seniors and TWilletts in OS). Makes a change from losing from 2 games up...

In the only 3-set match I played all weekend (against DZ in the SS losers final) I forgot it was best of 3 and thought I'd just gone 2-1 up when Dave extended his hand.

Lowlights were getting thrashed by Matty Warr and Louis Tan in OS, and not being able to repeat the 3-0 first-round demolition of Stuart & Eddie when it came to the SD losers final, doubles performances generally (apologies to Paul M and Scott).

I have made my views on the shortcomings of the event known to the organisers, who are looking for feedback before finalising the details for the next event in August, so I won't repeat them here. However could people comment on the schedule, formats and exclusivity issues as well as your own experiences of the tournament.

Also if you didn't attend the tournament what were the reasons for this, and how might things be made more attractive in future, enough to change your mind?

Oatsey

Post by Oatsey » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:39 pm

Hi all,

some pictures of the event here although obv most are rubbish as just taken from my phone. DZ will no doubt publish some decent ones!!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 690&type=1

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:29 pm

Would just like to say congratulations to Five Bar on running a generally good tournament. There were a few grumbles but focusing on the positives:

Venue- with some music added in next time is really good, loved having a finals area and there were plenty of tables for people to practice, play pick up and 2 ball as and when they pleased and a great bar with food.

Leonhart- Fun table! Everyone had to adapt but made for a lot of competitive games over the weekend and no-one feeling really outclassed.

Events- Nice to have a bit of the variety and the NPSC was a great alternative to open which I really enjoyed. Swiss was a little confusing and I would have preferred divisional events but still was good fun and allowed people to play a lot of people they might not play regularly which is always good.

Highs

Winning NPSC with Nick Wen :D great partner and we only dropped 2 games over the entire event (somehow i didn't drop a singles game, sorry Chris!)
Beating Brice and Bundy in Swiss
Gloucester was actually a pretty decent night out, god did I regret it on Sunday!
Scoring a volley finally got ticked off the bucket list :bday:

Lows
Straining myself poledancing on Saturday night and not being particularly able to defend a snake for most of Sunday

Looking forward to another Gloucester tournament and would definitely recommend.

Oatsey

Post by Oatsey » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:49 am

Hi Andrew,

thanks for the feedback.

The lack of music will definitely be fixed for the next one as the only reason it was not there was because we found out too late that the PA system could not just cut the music out when used by the mike to call match's so it was either no music or no mike! This did make the otherwise superb pit area in particular far too quiet.
This will be fixed for the next one I am told.

The air con in the main room also needs to be turned up when its a really hot day like that and that should be an easy fix as well .

Gipsy Beast
BFA Vice Chairman

Post by Gipsy Beast » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:42 am

Well done to all the peeps involved for making this happen.

Great table to play on.... Great to see so many of them in one place!

Really impressive venue, I didn't know such a complex existed. Window from the bar area looking on to the the finals zone was just brilliant. Really enjoyed seeing old faces and meeting new ones too. All together fantastic experience. :icecream:

Oatsey

Post by Oatsey » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:17 am

Although there has not yet been feedback on the ball quality here I know it will come as the balls were not good and very inconsistent . They were not the balls they send to me to try out 2 months ago .I discussed this with several people at the event.

So as you would expect I have queried this with Christian of Leonhart and this is his explanation below:
Hello Dave,

at the moment we have some trouble with the itsf balls.

The first version i sent to you was not accepted by the german players...
So we tried to change the surface of the ball. Now the germans can play better on it.

This was the ball i sent to you for the tournaments.

But now we have an second, complete other ball. We will test it this month in an tournament.
Than the DTFB decide which ball is the german ball and so the official itsf ball.

This is an never ending story.

The only thing you can do is:
1. Play at the moment with this ball i sent to you
2. Wait for the next version, i can send you at the end of july (This ball is very very easy to play)

Best regards,
Mit sportlichen Grüßen
So lets just hope the July ball is great , accepted by the Germans and we can then use it in August. In which case problem solved.
Last edited by Oatsey on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gipsy Beast
BFA Vice Chairman

Post by Gipsy Beast » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:25 am

Its true these ITSF Balls are a "never ending story"..... Annoyingly!

Cream Pants

Post by Cream Pants » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:43 pm

I seriously enjoyed the weekend and am already looking forward to many more tournaments at the Capital venue.

The venue was absolutely awesome!!! I agree that music would have improved the atmosphere a bit but we know why that was not done and that it will be sorted for future events.

The venue was BY FAR the most professional venue I have ever played a tournament in in the UK. The banners, pictures etc looked great and made it feel more like a 'Home' for table football rather than just a venue borrowed for the weekend. The main room was great with plenty of room for tables, players and a trophy display at the end to show you what you could win! I'm always a fan of the bar and this event was no exception, cheap drinks and cheap very nice food (if you didn't have it, next time have the Chicken Caesar!) .. not sure what more you would need from a bar.

And of course THE FINALS AREA... SOOOO GOOD! the seating was great and the fact you could view from the bar was also a bonus.. with more people the atmoshpere could be amazing! Having been lucky enough to make the Friday night DYP final in there when the music, announcements and slight crowd were factored in it really made it feel like the sport it deserves to be.. Great fun and it has made me really want to make more finals in that pit area!

Highlights... coming 3rd in the No-Pro super cup with my dad was a good result.. shame we didn't make the final but a podium finish is still a great result! And of course winning the friday DYP with Martin Stepanda.. I don't know what happened but everything clicked and we ended up winning the event taking some big scalps on the way so that was fun!

lowlights - As others have said shame about the balls but that far from ruined my tournament and was more of a slight inconvinience, packages for the fun events.. Personally I would rather be able to select the fun events that I would rather take part in say just the DYP for example rather than have to play rollerball forward shoot out as well but thats an easy fix.

Overall best tournament since I can remember, great to see everyone again and meet some new people and i'm really excited about future events at this incredible venue and the future of UK foos! Well done to everyone who made it happen and for all your hard work!

monkey

Post by monkey » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:42 pm

First off, the venue is incredible - by far the best I've seen (including abroad). Good jobv finding it. There were always tables to practice on, the staff were really friendly and the food/drink was cheap.

My only real issue with the tournament was the price. I paid £74 to go for Friday evening and Saturday. I skipped an entire day of the tournament and it was still much more expensive than I've ever paid before. Also there was the pleasant surprise of needing to buy balls (£4 each), which wasn't announced in advance.
Someone wanting to just play in the Friday DYP would have had to pay £19. That seems a little excessive.

I'm still not sure what to make of Leonhart - maybe it would be better with different balls. I found the main difference to other tables was that tic-tacing was too risky. This meant 5-bar became guesswork (the ball wouldn't stay in a good brush position for long) and you had to shoot set shots from the 2-bar. Having said that, it's always fun when the majority of players have never played on the table and there's an element of who can adapt fastest.

Friday night was fun. Good to see Luke Ashley again after 6? years. Goalie wars didn't start so well, but then Davey B showed me the 'brush from the middle' shot. A stupid shot - no use in any game other than goalie wars. Turns out it was very effective, so I shot it almost exclusively, much to other people's annoyance, and took 3rd place. Davey B came 1st using the same shot.

I got Paul Martin in the DYP, which was a perfect draw for me. Paul was solid as usual and despite me having no 5 bar we made it to the semi finals, where we got deservedly beaten by James Oates (well done on winning btw). Slightly disappointing coming so close to a final in the pit and not making it.

The No Pro event was exclusive with the Open events, which meant the Open standard was high. I drew Rob Atha in the first round, which obviously I lost (although I did score a Wristy McTwisty), won one in the losers, then lost to Jan Le (a very good Czech player). That didn't last long.

I started pretty badly in Open Doubles, but after losing our first 5 games, things started to click, and we managed to win a couple of matches before facing Mike and Bobby. Matt was blocking well, scoring at crucial points, and I was playing pretty well too. It went all the way... we were 5-4 up in the 5th before losing 7-5. Really frustrating to lose - we'd just found some form and with some winnable matches in the draw, a top 4 finish could have been a real possibility.

I won all my LHS and 2BRB games before forfeiting out to catch the last train. Oh well.

All in all, for me, it was too expensive and too far to come regularly. Apologies for any negativity - I thought I should voice my opinions about the prices. I actually really enjoyed the tournament and thought the venue was unbelievable!

Mike A

Post by Mike A » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:27 pm

Really enjoyed this tournament. The Venue was excellent and it was great to have a top quality table to play on. I really like the Leonhart table, but it would be even better if they can develop a good ball and stick with it. I've now played with three different Leonhart balls in the last 6 months and I found that execution with this latest ball was worse than with the ball we used in Luxembourg in April. This was quite frustrating having come into the tournament expecting the ball to work in a particular way - I had no idea that they were still messing around with the Leonhart ball. The balls also seemed to be inconsistently produced as well, with some rolling around more than others.

[Side note: It would be helpful to know which of the ITSF tables are still experimenting with the balls so we can take this into account for table picks for UKC and Nantes and also to decide which overseas events to travel to.]

It was fantastic to have the pit area set up in the way it was, with fantastic spectator viewing and live streaming. The windows for spectating from the bar were also an excellent feature. When not playing the bar offered good quality food and drink and when you were out of the tournament, the snooker tables were set up identically to those used in the world championships at the Crucible with perfect lighting, slick cloths, tight pockets and heated as well, so it was a great opportunity to play and realise just how good those snooker pros are! It is a very different experience to playing at your local club.

I can't decide whether it was good or bad to play all the open events up to the losers final on the Saturday and then only have the lesser (sorry, can't help the snobbery) events to play on Sunday. On the one hand it was more difficult to manage time for eating and staying fresh for matches on Saturday, but on the other hand it did mean that you were guaranteed an early get away on Sunday. 5/5 winners and losers side was really good and I would like to see this used in future tournaments.

I will definitely be going back to future events at this venue.

davez

Post by davez » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:49 pm

Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

robmoss2k

Post by robmoss2k » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:58 am

Two criticisms.

One: the balls were awful. A lot of them didn't stay round for long. The one I have, which incidentally cost more than the football I bought on Monday, also rolls from side to side on my table as well as on the Leonharts, so no blaming of the tables, which incidentally I began by hating and ended loving.

Two: the OD final on Sunday would have been a bit too late for me. Gloucester is a long way from home, it's a 3 hour drive, and had I got there (we ended up 4th, so we were only one match from some Sunday OD action in the pit) I would potentially have had to start thinking about a last ditch attempt to book Monday off work and find a hotel for the night, given that these things have a tendency to run late. I'd much rather the finals from the previous day were all finished by around 4pm rather than looking to start at that time.

However...

Apart from those two gripes, the tournament was generally excellent and I'll most certainly be coming to the next one.

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:45 pm

Thank you to the organisers, and those that sorted out the venue, for their efforts.

It was nice that the venue staff were so lovely. I didn't get the chance to properly thank them, but would appreciate it if the message could be passed on.

Joe.

nickwen

Post by nickwen » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:49 pm

As my last tournament in the UK, I am really glad to have attended this tournament organized by Bristol’s very own Five Bar Foosball. Job well done to the organizers as this is probably the most systematic tournament that I’ve ever been to (the monitors with the matches schedule is a great idea!).

Feedback
1) There should have been cash prizes for winning the No Pro Super Cup and also 3rd places in the Swiss events.
2) If possible, all events should be put on hold while the Open finals are taking place so everyone could watch. Probably because of time constraints this could not be done.
3) I’m not really sure of the reason for it but if the events could be separated from the bundle such as the DYPs and also being able to join both the Open events and also the Super Cup would have been great!
4) The Super Cup is probably the most interesting concept that I’ve ever played and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Highs
1) Winning the No Pro Super Cup with Andrew Trapmore. Best I’ve ever seen him played :)
2) Came in 3rd in the Semi Pro Singles. The Swiss system is abit confusing though. Didn’t know I made it to the semis.
3) Had fun playing with Rob Moss in the DYP.
4) Manage to watch world class players such as Rob Atha and Miguel Dos Santos in action.
5) Noticed that Sarah Brice is probably the bubbliest person that I’ve ever met.

Lows
1) Lost confidence during the knockout stages in Pro Am and letting my partner, Alex Zalantai down. Sorry :(
2) Probably spent my remaining month’s allowance all on food during the weekend.
3) Not able to take pictures with everyone as most people left early on Sunday :(

Lastly, I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for warmly welcoming me into the BFA community. Everyone has been so nice to me and has taught me a lot. The most notable mentions are the people from Bristol whom I play with the most such as Alex Shovelton, Ben Mason, Christopher Lyall, Alex Zalantai, Joseph Tipler, Andrew Trapmore, Zac Moody Jonathan May, Dave Oates and James Oates and also people who have helped and advised me along the way such as Dave Ziemann. Thanks for the memories and I wish the BFA all the best in its future endeavours :D

Kingy

Post by Kingy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:26 am

Thanks to all that made this tournament happen, the venue is excellent and the tables were excellent. No complaints! Had lots of fun partnering Przemek Pojawa and Tom willetts, thanks guys! Results wise could of been better, to many close games lost by only a goal.
Most importantly for me, my son (Reece) really enjoyed it, he got a different view of Foosball at this tournament than the previous two he went to, the venue alone made it feel more professional. partnering Mike Amsden in the dyp friday and Andrew Nubbert in pro-am sunday really helped him, they both gave him lots of advice, he thinks he can't lose when he is partnering a pro-master!!!! But then eventually after winning a few games, gets disappointed when he loses! He also enjoyed getting on table 1 in the pitt area (thinking he is on tv) and watching finals there. Overall this tournament got him more interested than I have ever seen him before. To the point that on our way home he was telling me he is going to get his friends round to play on the Garlando in our garage!
Mark

Oatsey

Post by Oatsey » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:57 am

HI Mark,

Thank you for that feedback

Its really great to hear that as this is exactly what this venue is trying to achieve as we need to be able to encourage new junior players into the game and have their parents feeling like its a good thing too.

Junior GB team will perhaps have a new candidate soon!!!

davez

Post by davez » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:38 pm

* Deep thanks to Chris, Mase, Jon, Dave, and all at Five Bar and all helpers for making this happen
* The venue was amazing; ample parking, air-conditioned with good lighting and very friendly staff
* I got the impression (without evidence) that asking for a veggie food option for next time might not fall on deaf ears
* Actually a bowl of apples on the bar!
* I hope that what they lost on numbers they will gain on spend per capita (relative to snooker)
* I was playing constantly from 10am on Saturday without respite until 1:30am while on Sunday I had no games until late afternoon - this is wrong
* Our progress in OD was impacted by tiredness on late Saturday night, with OS and OD being played at the same time
* The only hard reason for me to be there on Sunday was senior finals
* Excluding PMs from the Swiss events was a bad decision. The whole purpose of Swiss is to cope with mixed player ranks, so excluding PMs is an organisational convenience which arbitrarily penalises one section of players without any underlying rationale
* I played some of my best ever foos and yet I didn't always have the result to go with it!
* lost to Mathew Warr in first round of OS; I didn;t show up but I didn't think either of us played well
* lost to Jody in losers' bracket of OS, she played well I was a bit asleep
* played amazing in Mixed with Emily, dominating the 5 bar against Juj and also Shovie but having a poor 3 bar in those games
* played good in Senior Doubles with Chris being solid at the back, some good anti-bank work there
* Eddie Edwards played well all round, beat me in SS, I was very casual
* then Boris also beat me in SS, even though I was snaking well - I think he actually scored real goals on his 3!!
* Boris shooting a 3-bar curler on me in SS FFS
* Left Handed Singles is a really good event - it requires and teaches very useful new skills for singles
* Miguel was amazing at LHS, shooting power pin to push-kicks on his 2-bar - look and learn!
* The SS final fight between Eddie and Boris was a great foos match and Eddie's unrepeatable banter made it even better
* I hope for the next one we get a consistent batch of quality balls
* the pit area was fantastic
* the pit seating poses an interesting dilemma - can we put bums on seats so it doesn't look dead during finals?
* All credit to Louis and Jody, we let them come back from a 2-0 down to beat us
* thank you to my brilliant partners, Juj, Emily, Chris and new player George in the Pro Am
* looking forward to August!
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

Shovo

Post by Shovo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:54 am

davez wrote:* played good in Senior Doubles
Who's good?

davez

Post by davez » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:55 pm

Just checking you're reading.