BFA League Championships 2012-13

Tournament announcements + Results + Match Reports
Boris
BFA Treasurer

BFA League Championships 2012-13

Post by Boris » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:28 pm

The long-awaited National BFA Foosball League has finally arrived, starting this November.

Th competition will involve local or regional leagues of 4-6x teams playing each other home and away between 1st November 2012 and 14th July 2013. Teams will be allocated to leagues according to geographical proximity. Teams play home matches on their own table and away matches on their opponents table. Teams may play on any full-sized table type with 2x defenders, 5x midfielders and 3x forwards provided it is maintained to a reasonable standard.

Teams must be affiliated to registered BFA clubs - the minimum criteria being 4x players and a table.
Teams consist of between 4 and 8x players (however short-handed teams of 2-3x players can fulfil away fixtures to avoid a forfeit).
Players must live or work within 40 miles of the club they represent (if no clubs within 40 mi then either of their 2x nearest clubs), or have a longstanding relationship (over 12 months) with the club, teams may field one player who does not meet the residence criteria.
Clubs may enter more than one team in the competition, however players cannot play for more than one team from a club or league.

Entry fees are kept to a minimum - £30 per team (£20 for teams comprising all novice/unranked or junior players)

Matches consist of 10x games, no player can play more than 1 singles and 1x doubles position, or 2x doubles positions (including 3rd doubles) - however teams may also select different players for each position (up to 8x players)
Singles 1 and Singles 2 - play one game against each opponent
Doubles 1 and Doubles 2 - play one game against each opponent
Doubles 3 - play 2x games against each other (cannot include any singles player)

Games are a race to 7 goals, handicapped by one goal start per difference in rank, so a novice team playing a pro-master team only needs to score 3 times to register a win. The main aim is fun competition and to spread the game throughout the UK.

The top teams in each league will qualify for the National Finals (2013 BFA Cup) in Autumn 2013 to be held at a central location. This may be held in conjunction with the 2013 UK Championships or as a separate standalone competition. In the finals stages, each position (S1, D2 etc) plays their counterparts on both tables.

A separate European Champions League Qualifying competition may be held during the season with teams of 7x players (3x singles, 2x doubles, no-one plays more than one position, unhandicapped). Details will be announced in due course, however any clubs wishing to compete in the ECL MUST have entered at least one team in the League Championship and have fulfilled all their scheduled fixtures.

Teams will be asked to rate 9x playing sessions each week (8pm each night at 3pm on Saturdays and Sundays) as preferred, good, OK and avoid and also any periods when the team will be unavailable. A default fixture date will be set for the first most mutually convenient date within a fixture window. This can be changed with the agreement of both captains provided it is completed before the end of that fixture window (fixture deadline), there is no restriction on playing fixtures early if both teams agree.

For full details visit the new League Championship section on the BFA website here:
http://www.britfoos.com/bfa-league
Frequently Asked Questions - http://www.britfoos.com/bfa-league/faqs
Club Registration - http://www.britfoos.com/node/add/club
Team Registration - http://www.britfoos.com/bfa-league/registration

Registration closes at 6pm on Saturday 27th October - Teams will be allocated into leagues on Sunday 28th October with fixtures published on or before 31st October.
Late registrations may be accepted subject to a £10 penalty and the availability of a space within an existing league (unless several clubs join together in a local area allowing a new league to be established).

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Re: BFA National Leagues 2012-13

Post by Boris » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:47 pm

Volunteers Wanted

The BFA are seeking volunteers to act as league coordinators for each region (as per the forum) to assist with the organisation of regional and local leagues.

The main duty will involve contacting all the venues within your region by telephone to let them know about the BFA, how Clubs work, the League, and whether they would be interested in entering a team or learning more about how to promote the game.
You will be provided with an excel spreadsheet listing all the venues we are aware of (more than appear on the current venues database/google map on the main site) - and a 'script' or template as to how to do it.
Obviously the idea is to get as many venues forming clubs and entering the League Championship as we can. You may need to research some venue phone numbers via google, yell or bt.
The different regions vary in number from around 20x to around 70x venues, the larger regions can be broken into manageable chunks if needed.

If you would be willing to take responsibility for this in your region or area please PM or e-mail me on boris.atha@britfoos.com

Each league will have a steering committee comprising representatives of each club, and will have a director appointed by the BFA or elected by the steering committee and ratified by the BFA. Volunteering at this stage does not guarantee or imply appointment as league director. The main practical duties of a director would be to rule on disputes as to fixture scheduling or table condition.

The finishing touches are now being applied to the League website and registration forms and we hope to go live within the next few days.

Elvis

Re: BFA National League Championship 2012-13

Post by Elvis » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:13 pm

i'LL DO IT
Martin Landers
Secretary - Darlington Table Football Club

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Re: BFA National League Championship 2012-13

Post by Boris » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:40 pm

An announcement is imminent!!!

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Re: BFA League Championships 2012-13

Post by Boris » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:53 pm

See announcement above with links and visit your regional forum for more local colour!

Phil Williams

Post by Phil Williams » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:43 pm

So when will the BFA be contacting all the venues to let them know about this league? I am pretty sure nothing has been sent to the Good Companions, Black Boy, Pig and Whistle and Red Lion for where there are an abundance of players!

I know that of most of the pubs in Hampshire you have listed, it is only the players at the Pig and Whistle who know about this forum so all those other venues will be oblivious to this league!

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Re: BFA National Leagues 2012-13

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:48 pm

Boris wrote:Volunteers Wanted

The BFA are seeking volunteers to act as league coordinators for each region (as per the forum) to assist with the organisation of regional and local leagues.

The main duty will involve contacting all the venues within your region by telephone to let them know about the BFA, how Clubs work, the League, and whether they would be interested in entering a team or learning more about how to promote the game.
You will be provided with an excel spreadsheet listing all the venues we are aware of (more than appear on the current venues database/google map on the main site) - and a 'script' or template as to how to do it.
Obviously the idea is to get as many venues forming clubs and entering the League Championship as we can. You may need to research some venue phone numbers via google, yell or bt.
The different regions vary in number from around 20x to around 70x venues, the larger regions can be broken into manageable chunks if needed.

If you would be willing to take responsibility for this in your region or area please PM or e-mail me on boris.atha@britfoos.com

Each league will have a steering committee comprising representatives of each club, and will have a director appointed by the BFA or elected by the steering committee and ratified by the BFA. Volunteering at this stage does not guarantee or imply appointment as league director. The main practical duties of a director would be to rule on disputes as to fixture scheduling or table condition.

The finishing touches are now being applied to the League website and registration forms and we hope to go live within the next few days.
Phil, I'm going to quote all of Boris's above post again. 'The BFA' (the committee) do not personally know the state of every venue, or even every venue for that manner, in the country. The reason we made this call for help is that we want to reach these potential players we are not in regular contact with. We had hoped that those who also want to help grow the game would volunteer to offer a little help. It would be greatly appreciated if people could do this in their local areas. If they don't, then the game in our country is always going to struggle.

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:47 pm

Can I echo what Joe has said - I've published the list of venues for each region which have been reported within the past 3 years - sorted by postcode. We have phone numbers for probably about 75% of the listed venues so if you contact me I will send you the full file for the area you are interested in. We felt it would be inappropriate to list phone numbers on a public forum.

I am slowly working through venues for whom we have e-mail details and sending them a region-specific e-mail with links to the competition pages on the main site. Unfortunately we don't have the funds to undertake a global venue mailing - this accounted for most of the costs of last year's BFA Cup and was not cost-effective.

This will only work if people on the ground want it to - the structure is there, it just needs clubs and teams to fill it to make it work. Obviously the more teams there are the more 'local' the leagues can be. I realise there is a chicken and egg situation here with teams understandably reluctant to enter if they are likely to have to travel half the length of the country to fulfil league fixtures. Thus there is an incentive for clubs wishing to compete to contact other venues in their area and encourage them to join the league, and to enter two or more teams if they are able to do so.

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:43 pm

We've had new clubs forming in London (2) and Edinburgh over the past 2 weeks - room for plenty more!

12 days to go till the registration deadline!!!

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:29 pm

Thanks to Tom King for organising a bulk-e-mail for all Britfoos subscribers.

More clubs have formed in the past week - welcoming Imperial College and Edinburgh University.

Remember, registration closes at 6pm this Saturday - register your team or teams here:
http://www.britfoos.com/bfa-league/registration

List of clubs, confirmed team entries listed in red :

London

4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse Dalton
Bar Kick Shoreditch
Deloitte TFC City
Imperial College London

Isha Kingston
Lewisham Tornados
London TFC
London TF Championship - Hackney
Pimlico Beer Garden Pub
Queen Mary Foosball Society
Dalston Babyfools
Woodford Gentlemens Club
Elbow Room Shoreditch
Central?
Victoria?

South East
Oxford University TFC
Surrey Tsunamis
Southampton Rockets FC

South West
Bath Blockfeet
Bristol TFC

Cheltenham TFC
The Singer Tetrads, Somerset

East Anglia
Cambridge Girton College
Cambridge University
The Perse TFC Cambridge

Midlands
Birmingham City(?)
Leicester TFC
Keele University
Northampton Milton Bayer TFC
Tamworth TFC
Warwick University TFC

North West
Lokomotiv Liverpool TFC
Manchester Rainbow Warriors

Yorkshire & North East
Darlington TFC
Doncaster Town TFC

Scotland
Edinburgh Beavers
University of Edinburgh FC

Significant player bases without registered clubs include:
Nuneaton
Hereford
Reading
Lancaster
Chester
Southall

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:11 am

All clubs please confirm your registrations today or tomorrow ...
http://www.britfoos.com/bfa-league/registration

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:39 pm

I understand some teams have had problems registering as the form has rejected teams using the same name as last year's BFA Cup.

The registration deadline is thus being extended by one week or until the problem is fixed.

If you wish to add players to your squad (to a maximum of 10x players) e-mail all their details (full mame, year of birth and nationality) to clubs@britfoos.com - dont forget to include your team name! Players become eligible for matches 6x days after they are registered.

ybbun

Post by ybbun » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:36 pm

Boris wrote:I understand some teams have had problems registering as the form has rejected teams using the same name as last year's BFA Cup.

The registration deadline is thus being extended by one week or until the problem is fixed.
This is now fixed - please try again if you have had problems.

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:55 pm

Current Leagues

London (to be split geographically into two leagues)
Queen Mary Foosball Society - Garlando
Imperial College TFC - Tornado
Lewisham Tornados - Tornado
Deloitte Table Football Club - Garlando
Victoria - Garlando
Central - Fireball
Elbow Rooms - Fireball
Bar Kick - Bonzini

South & West
Oxford - Garlando
Bristol - Fireball
Bath - Garlando
Roadwater Somerset - Garlando

North
Keele Uni - Garlando/Tornado
Lokomotiv Liverpool - Bonzini/Garlando
Darlington - Garlando

Scotland
Edinburgh Uni (2+ teams) - Fireball

It is not too late to join the league but if you wish to do so please do it before the end of this week, the final draw will occur in 7 days time. After that teams will only be accepted where:
(a) An existing league has fewer than 5x teams and all existing teams agree to add another team
(b) Where a number of teams in an area register together and are able to form a new league
All other registrations will be put into a waiting list for the next available league compeition.

In particular where are teams from Leicester, Nuneaton, Warwick etc? These would make a Midland league viable with Keele.
What about players in Southampton (BFA Cup Holders), Reading, Surrey Tsunamis etc who could form a viable Southern league with Oxford.

What about the Bristol veterans forming a Bush team to make the South West more interesting?

In the North where are teams from the Rainbow, Telfords Warehouse and Lancaster Uni?

Matt Price
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Price » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:32 pm

Boris, I'm not sure whether some of these are really viable options. I'm in The Singer Tetrads team and don't have a problem with travelling to Bath/Bristol, but to Oxford is a 3 hour drive. That's 6 hours round trip, excluding traffic and actually playing the games. There won't be enough hours in the day to get that played, even assuming we can do an all day trip of a weekend.

Similar story with Keele to Darlington.

I know that we want more teams per league if possible but with those travel times games aren't even possible to play, even assuming that the teams are willing to travel that distance.

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:39 pm

I agree with Matt.

Let's make this work by not making it too hard for the players to take part.

Matt Price
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Price » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:02 pm

Boris, would it be worth sending out another mail shot, stating what you have put in the last message;
that entry is still open for teams in some leagues where there are under 5 current teams and to appeal for any further entries. Many people don't check the forums regularly and may have assumed that registering as a club automatically means they are a registered team.

Giving them a reminder that clubs in certain geographical areas can enter a team may be beneficial.

Mase

Post by Mase » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:44 pm

Ok guys, this is where it has all fallen down in the past.

I ran the league 5 years ago and regionalising such a small player base is virtually impossible. If we WANT to play we will just have to travel.

Boris has done a good job, it is highly unlikely there are going to be many more teams popping out the wood work (hope Im wrong). Having spoken to Dave O I know he and James (probably Fame Too) have no appetite to play in the league.

Matt can I ask when you entered the league knowing the UK scene how many SouthWest teams you thought would be in the comp. Having only one long trip is really good. In the old league there were 2. The only area with the density of teams to make travelling not a major head ache is London and I recon I can get to Bath and back quicker than they will get to some games.

Im afraid we either have to put up and play while we try to get more people playing or simply not play.

Regards,

Mase

Matt Price
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Price » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:01 pm

Mase wrote: Matt can I ask when you entered the league knowing the UK scene how many SouthWest teams you thought would be in the comp. Having only one long trip is really good. In the old league there were 2. The only area with the density of teams to make travelling not a major head ache is London and I reckon I can get to Bath and back quicker than they will get to some games.
I was hoping maybe a few Bristol teams, one from Bath, maybe Cheltenham? I wasn't all that sure. Mase, like I said, I don't have a problem with travelling, but it becomes a problem when there are not enough hours in the day. From Watchet we will be unable to travel to Oxford of an evening - if we were to leave at 5pm we wouldn't get there until 8pm. Then we would have to play - that's maybe 2 or 3 hours, so 10pm at the earliest, plus a three hour drive back, which is 1am. Again, that's with optimistic timings and ignoring the fact that we will be travelling on motorways during rush hour. It's not feasibly possible, or at least is a struggle for people who have work in the morning, and therefore relies on both teams being able to play the matches at a weekend. Even then, it becomes a very long day and risks making a joke out of the 'preferred/unavailable' options.

If it didn't work last time, that suggests that we need to make it easier this time around. In all honestly, I would rather have just the three 'proper' South West teams, Watchet, Bristol and Bath and I feel that it makes more sense to do that.

I haven't spoken to others in the team I've joined so I don't know how they feel, but when I last spoke we were under the impression that we would be playing teams in Bristol and Bath. All the other members of my team are novices and so don't necessarily have the passion that more experienced teams might. They are keen, but I got the impression that some felt even a trip to Bristol was a bit far for a game of table football. To travel to Oxford is a lot further. Besides the fact I have no idea what days/dates/times they have put down as available to play, I have no idea whether they are available weekends.

This won't work if we have to travel half the country to play. I'm not saying we won't play Oxford if they remain in this league, but it will massively depend on the rest of my team and their availability. I think it would make much more sense to keep the South West division to just Bath, Bristol and Watchet and either place Oxford in a Midlands division with Keele (if another Midlands team should be encouraged to join in time), or place Oxford within the London scene - after all, the travel times for London - Oxford are about half that of Watchet - Oxford.

Mase, although I do appreciate where you're coming from, that's merely my thoughts.

EDIT: I should also say that I fully appreciate the effort and hard work that Boris has put into this. The fact that there are a number of new scenes joining due to this just goes to demonstrate that this can work.

Mase

Post by Mase » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:12 pm

There is a famous phrase

"You can please some of the people all the time and all of the people some of the time."

As someone who has organised foosball for years that phrase is rubbish.

"You can very rarely make people remotely happy, they will always prefer to have nothing than a less than perfect something".

It is what is. Please don't think I'm being harsh but you know enough of us to drop a pm and see what teams we are putting in. I could have told you in 10 seconds there would be one Bristol and no cheltenham.

FYI a couple of Bristol players not entering stated a trip to Watchet to play you guys as a one reason of a few they were not interested.

And remember Oxford have 3 longish away days. We all only have 1.

Regards,

Mase