The BFA Club Trophy

Tournament announcements + Results + Match Reports
BFA Committee

The BFA Club Trophy

Post by BFA Committee » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:23 pm

BFA Club Trophy

The British Foosball Association would like to introduce the Club Trophy, the newest way for clubs to compete. The idea is simple: players score points for their clubs by doing well in events at tournaments – that’s it! The competition begins at this year’s Warwick Open and runs for the rest of the year, with the highest placing club awarded silverware and other prizes at the end. The competition is completely free for all registered BFA Clubs to enter – all you have to do is make sure that you state which club you are playing for when you pre-register for a tournament.

The idea behind this event is simple: to gives clubs a way to compete without any extra hassle. Players score points for their clubs by doing what they currently do – competing in singles and doubles events at tournaments. This competition isn’t creating extra events at tournaments – it’s simply rewarding your club if you do well in the events already being run at a tournament, be they Open, Women’s, Senior, Junior or rank-restricted.

You might notice that the format of this competition is very similar to the Club Trophy event also being held at this year’s Warwick Open. This is no accident – the BFA committee saw the Club Trophy event that the Warwick guys were planning on running and decided that it was a good enough idea to want to extend it across the rest of the year. We’d like to thank the Warwick Table Football Society for their idea. Whilst we appreciate that using the same name for our competition and starting it at the Warwick Open is a little confusing, simply bear in mind that the existence of our competition does not in any way affect their own competition – we still wish to encourage tournament organisers to host events between clubs!

If you’re part of a club and you’d like to find out more about entering your club into this competition then please take a look at our guide for clubs.

If you’re interested in taking part in this competition but aren’t part of a club then don’t worry, there might already be some clubs near you that you can join. You can browse our list of clubs and get in contact with any that you are interested in. You can also set up your own club too – it's simple and free to register you and your friends as a club.

For any other enquiries please either post in this thread or send an email to committee@britfoos.com and we’ll get back to you shortly.

Thanks, and good luck in this year’s competition!

Christopher Lyall
BFA General Secretary

Matt Price
Site Administrator

Re: The BFA Club Trophy

Post by Matt Price » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:31 pm

Good to see this picked up on. It's a great idea. Congrats to Alex(?) and whoever else may have had a hand in coming up with it, and good stuff by the committee to take it on board! :D

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:00 pm

Nice idea. I would like to enter Oxford University Table Football Club. What do I actually have to do to enter?
OUTFC Secretary

cmau

Post by cmau » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:11 pm

http://www.britfoos.com/clubs/oxford-un ... tball-club

It appears that you are already a registered club so in tournaments all you have to do is identify your players (assumed to be with pre-reg forms - "Club" field) and Chris will do the rest.

Christopher Lyall
BFA Regional Rep - South West

Post by Christopher Lyall » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:29 pm

Hi guys,

Firstly I should probably state that I am the BFA Executive Committee member currently responsible for all Club Trophy matters, so feel free to direct questions to me if you have any. I will now address some issues that I have received both in this thread and by email:

Entering Your Club into the Club Trophy

Currently our website does not support storing a list of a club's players in any sort of database. We hope to change this in the near future to allow registration of a club's players on our website. Until this time, entering a club into the Club Trophy can be achieved by simply getting in touch with us (myself or the rest of the committee) and informing us of your club's desire to enter the competition, as Graeme has just done. Alternatively, if a player pre-registers for a tournament that counts towards the Club Trophy, stating that they are part of a registered club then we will automatically enter that club into the competition if they aren't already entered. I have taken the liberty of entering into the competition all of the clubs that are currently fielding teams to compete in the team event at Warwick. These are:

-Bristol TFC
-Cheltenham TFC
-Darlington TFC
-Keele University Foosball Society
-Liverpool Table Football Club
-London Table Football Championship
-London Table Football Club
-The Perse Table Football Society (Cambridge)
-Surrey Tsunamis
-Warwick University TFC

If you are running one of these clubs and don't wish to be entered into the Club Trophy then let me know and I'll take your club out of the competition.

The club system is still in its infancy, even after the BFA Cup last year, so I appreciate that a more rigid system of managing membership is required - this is something that we as a committee will be working on in the coming weeks not only to support this competition but also others that we intend to run this year. When I launched this competition I emailed all of the registered BFA clubs informing them of the Club Trophy, so all of the club contacts will have been notified (except for Birmingham City TFC whose email address is out of operation). The eventual goal will be that clubs submit to us a list of players that are competing for them in the club trophy at each competition, but as right now clubs are only just beginning to take shape we do not wish to overburden those leading them with any extra bureaucratic responsibilities.

To sum up: the simplest way to enter your club into the Club Trophy is to send me a personal message, or post here, stating that you wish to.

Club Membership/Changing Clubs

Current rules on the website state that "Players can be members of/registered by more than one club or team, but cannot play for more than one club/team in any competition." As when written this rule was intended to apply to the BFA Cup last year - a one-shot club tournament rather than a season-long league - it is currently up for review by the committee. For now, players should assume that they are free to leave and join clubs, transfer between clubs and form new clubs. We do however anticipate that once the committee settles on a sensible way of managing players' allegiances in competitions then player's will not be so free to transfer between clubs and compete in the same competition. As I said, this is currently being discussed and I'm not sure what the outcome will be.

As for geographical restrictions concerning the clubs that a player may join, the Warwick tournament organisers (who the committee applaud for embracing the club setup in such a whole-hearted way in planning their competitions) have decided for their club events at the Warwick Open that players may only be counted as part of a club if they live within 40 miles of the club. For the moment we will stand by this guideline, though it too is up for review by the committee. We are keen to see clubs develop, and want to support a Club Trophy competition in which those competing together as members of the same club are genuinely affiliated outside of the competition. We will act so as to encourage this.

Foreign Players

This question can be simply answered - entry into the Club Trophy is restricted only to those people currently living in the UK. This includes all university students currently studying in the UK and anyone currently living in Northern Ireland (though as yet no clubs have been formed in Northern Ireland). The rule is intended to avoid clubs attempting to enlist foreign pro-master players as members of their clubs for the duration of a tournament in order to boost their clubs' score in the Club Trophy.

Season Length

The 2012 season will run from yesterday until December 31st 2012. In future years the Club Trophy season will begin on January 1st and run until December 31st of the same year.

Prizes

Prizes will be awarded to the winning club this year. As the Club Trophy is currently free for clubs to enter we may or may not give out further prizes. Any prizes will include silverware. That is all that I can confirm for now.

I hope that this has been informative. Thank you to those who have pointed out the need for clarity on these points. I will update the published information to include answers to these questions.

Thanks

Chris
www.fivebar.co.uk - Foosball Tournaments, Leagues, Shop

Christopher Lyall

Post by Christopher Lyall » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:23 pm

The results of the BFA Club Trophy, post Warwick have now been calculated and released:

Go here to see how your club has done!

A reminder of how the points scored by each club are calculated can be found here.

I'll provide a more detailed breakdown of how each player has done when I find a presentable way of doing so.

Best of luck to everyone in this year's competition!

Chris

Matt Price
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Price » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:27 am

I like your choice of photo... :D

Alex MM

Post by Alex MM » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:46 am

Has their been any more development on the rules about registering your club? Is it essential for a club to have a venue in the UK? Rules about eligabilty of players to compete for your club? Seeing Ireland listed was a pleasent surprise I was under the impression they would not be able to register but hopefully we'll get to see a lot more of them now. I know there were long discussions before the Warwick Open and the rules put in place were temporary. It is important to clarrify the rules to enter into this competition as well as publish a list of players in each club with some way for new players to contact the chairmen of clubs.

Sorry if I sound demanding :P, Alex

cbalife

Post by cbalife » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:43 pm

matt price wrote:I like your choice of photo... :D
As do I!

(Victory)

Christopher Lyall

Post by Christopher Lyall » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:35 pm

Alex MM wrote:Has their been any more development on the rules about registering your club? Is it essential for a club to have a venue in the UK? Rules about eligabilty of players to compete for your club? Seeing Ireland listed was a pleasent surprise I was under the impression they would not be able to register but hopefully we'll get to see a lot more of them now. I know there were long discussions before the Warwick Open and the rules put in place were temporary. It is important to clarrify the rules to enter into this competition as well as publish a list of players in each club with some way for new players to contact the chairmen of clubs.

Sorry if I sound demanding :P, Alex
You do sound demanding Alex, but it's fine - there's no need to be sorry.

I think that before I answer your questions I should take a moment to give a small explanation about how we envision the club scene to progress. As we see it, a club is an independent body - not something organised or run through the BFA, but a separate entity that utilises the BFA's services, such as use of our website, or the ability to enter competitions that we organise for clubs. The analogies are everywhere in other sports - Manchester United as a club aren't run or managed by the FA, they do however enter competitions run by the FA. The FA has no power to place restrictions on which players may be a member of Manchester United, but it can decide which players are allowed to represent Manchester United in the Premier League/FA Cup etc, as it runs those competitions.

Similarly we the BFA don't at all intend to restrict who can actually be a member of a club - how a club manages its membership will be down to the club. Successful clubs might be in a position to charge a membership fee for their players or something similar. It's up to the clubs to manage themselves. Right now though, we are at a stage where it would be pretty unthinkable for a club to say "no we don't want this player", so to save time on the part of the club organisers we are simply taking as given that if a player says that they are a member of a club then that's fine with the club. I'd expect this status quo to change in the future - in which case our rules will again evolve to cope with the developing scene.

So with regards to your queries, I would approach answering them whilst bearing in mind what I have just written. Any club can form anywhere in the country, and a club needn't be restricted to just one table/venue or even necessarily have a table/venue. As an example, Darlington Table Football Club operates over a selection of venues, organises its own league across those venues and charges its players to play in the league. This club existing doesn't rely on the BFA at all. Darlington TFC has since registered as a BFA Club in order to enter BFA Club competitions, and for the added exposure that our website provides.

So, regarding the Club Trophy, the BFA in no way places restrictions on what clubs players can be members of - it's up to the clubs to decide who they'll accept. However the BFA, for the moment, effectively does this indirectly by limiting the players that a club can submit into BFA competitions.

Right now, final decision on whether a player can represent a club in the Club Trophy rests with me, as the committee member overseeing this competition. I am authorised to make my decisions based on the following guidelines: a player is eligible to represent a club in the BFA Club Trophy if:

-it is one of the two clubs closest to them or
-they live or study as a student within 40 miles of the club or
-they play at the club 10 or more times in a year

Players wishing to switch clubs after already playing for a club will have to state their reasons for wanting to change to me, and obviously if they're reasonable (ie not just jumping ship) then that would be fine.

As for Ireland and Nuneaton - two playerbases that definitely exist and are active at UK tournaments but that haven't yet registered as clubs - I've included them and will be contacting them about properly registering as a club shortly.

Finally, the list of players, associated clubs, and points scored from the Warwick Open 2012 is as follows:

Name Club Warwick Open 2012
Addison, Graeme Oxford 0
Ahearne, Blake Nuneaton 0
Amsden, Mike LondonClub 12
Anielak, Mariusz Leicester 2
Ashley, Luke Cheltenham 1
Atha, Boris Liverpool 0
Au, Chee Meng Keele 2
Berry, Tom Warwick 0
Bezlov, Dean Warwick 5
Bomev, Boyko Nuneaton 0
Bundy, Joe Liverpool 5
Burlakov, Stanislav Oxford 0
Chau, Franky Warwick 8
Choh, Fabian Oxford 0
Chudzinski, Karol Leicester 1
Cordle, Stephen Warwick 6
Crump, Richard Keele 0
Davey, Rob Bristol 8
Deg? Nuneaton 0
Dehany, Martyn Nuneaton 0
Dunleavy, Patrick Nuneaton 8
Fitzgerald, Jude Ireland 9
Glavin, Damian Ireland 6
Haddon, Chris Nuneaton 0
Hawkes, Will LondonChamp 3
Kaye, Josh Keele 0
Kettle, James Warwick 0
King, Mark Nuneaton 10
Konieczny, Tom Leicester 0
Lau, Jungle Ireland 10
Laugwitz, Justus Warwick 0
Lesage, Charles LondonChamp 2
Leung, William Warwick 2
Littlefair, James PTFS 1
Lyall, Christopher Bristol 29
Lyall, Stephen LondonClub 30
Mandall, Robert Warwick 1
Marsh, Richard Oxford 18
Mason, Ben Bristol 9
May, Jonathan Bristol 37
Millington Marston, Alex Warwick 4
Mohamed, Saman Nuneaton 10
Mok, Vincent Warwick 9
Morgan, David Oxford 25
Moss, Bobby Liverpool 0
Nubbert, Andrew Surrey 31
Nubbert, Mark Surrey 5
Nubbert, Tom Surrey 2
Oakes, Callum Darlington 6
Ormerod, Bill Nuneaton 8
O'Rourke, Des Ireland 6
Pearson, Brodie Oxford 15
Powers, Spencer Surrey 0
Preda, Alexandru LondonChamp 0
Racy, Mayya LondonClub 39
Robinson, Matt PTFS 4
Russell-Gebbett, Andrei LondonChamp 1
Shore, Addison PTFS 4
Shovelton, Alex Bristol 20
Singh, Inderjit Nuneaton 0
Skrupskelyte, Greta Warwick 5
Tan, Louis Cheltenham 41
Thirsk, Laura Keele 2
Thompson, Jean-Phillippe LondonChamp 5
Walding, Jody PTFS 23
Warr, Matthew Darlington 10
Watson, James Keele 2
Wheeler, Steve Keele 4
Willetts, Tom Warwick 3
Williams, Mark Warwick 0
Wong, Jonathon LondonChamp 0
Yeung, Simon Cheltenham 15
Zakowski, Greg Cheltenham 1
Ziemann, Dave LondonClub 10

If you feel I've registered you in the wrong club, I've missed you off, I've included you when you don't want to be included, I've missed your friends off etc, then please get in touch.

A link to the points breakdown document was in my previous post.

I hope that this has been useful.

Chris
Last edited by Christopher Lyall on Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alex MM

Post by Alex MM » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:48 am

Thank you for your reply. I will follow this up fully when I am back in the country in a weeks time. By "a venue" I did by no mean one specific venue. However clubs with no venue have a next to nothing chance of attracting new players. I assume a major goal of the BFA for introducing the club structure is to encourage new players to get interested in the game and national/international tournaments. Am I right in thinking this? I have serious doubts about whether the above format will achieve this. I am very worried about the direction the BFA are taking with the club structure. Please remember looking at existing successful clubs structures such as FA teams may not be the best structure that promotes growth. It seems like this trophy is just another shiny thing a group of existing good players can win. Like I said I will follow this up fully when I come back from holiday.
Alex

EDIT Also you seem to have given some players points for a club that they were only part of the clubs 'team' such as Jungle and Louis.

Christopher Lyall

Post by Christopher Lyall » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:26 am

Hi Alex. I am unable to reply to your post now but will do so this evening. It would help me if you could explain your concerns in more detail. Likewise if anyone else is concerned about the rules regarding the club structure then please don't hesitate to make yourself heard.

Chris

Christopher Lyall

Post by Christopher Lyall » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:15 pm

Alex later messaged me via PM so rather than write here I'll be responding to his queries there.

Re Jungle Lau - I had assumed that he was part of the Irish club. As that is apparently not the case I have removed his points scored. If anyone knows more details then please let me know!

Chris

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:33 pm

Jungle lives in London and has played at Bar Kick. So maybe put him in JP's London club? (London table football championship?)

Christopher Lyall

Post by Christopher Lyall » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:10 pm

A Notice Regarding the Club Trophy

Hello again.

The UKC, taking place at a Riley's in Coventry on the 26th-28th October (details here), is a tournament the results of which will count towards the BFA club trophy. I'd like to ask that all captains of a club wishing to enter players into the club trophy for this tournament message me with a list of those players. I'll be taking names on the day as well, but I'd prefer a list in advance where this can be done as it will save me a lot of avoidable hassle.

Now, this year we haven't had many tournaments. In fact this is only the second tournament since the club trophy was first introduced way back in February. As such the results of this year's club trophy will be based solely on these two tournaments, if no more are organised before 2013. This was hardly the plan when the club trophy was first suggested, so obviously I'm a bit disappointed, but the BFA will still be awarding prizes as promised and we hope that the competition was a bit of fun to be a part of. We'll be starting a whole new club trophy season next year, and with a bit of luck there'll be plenty of tournaments that clubs can amass points from.

That's pretty much it! Good luck to all the players playing in the UKC, and good luck to all the clubs in the club trophy.

Chris

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:42 pm

List of players and most recent club affiliations.

Addison Graeme GBR OXF
Addison Paul GBR NUN
Ahearne Blake GBR NUN
Amsden Mike GBR ELB
Angelique David GBR BKK
Anielak Mariusz GBR LEI
Ashley Luke GBR CHE
Atha Boris GBR LIV
Atha James GBR LIV
Atha Rob GBR LIV
Au Chee Meng SIN KEE
Bareham Dave GBR LNC