Warwick Open 2012 - The Team Event!

Tournament announcements + Results + Match Reports
Steviola

Warwick Open 2012 - The Team Event!

Post by Steviola » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:30 pm

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd write a bit about the Team Event at this year's Warwick Open.

As an organisation the BFA are trying to encourage a domestic club structure to solidify, develop and promote the "grass-roots" side of the game, with the ultimate aim of having a steady stream of new players and national/regional league structure. To help encourage this formation of clubs we are holding a Team Event on Saturday. Here are the main rules for entering a team:

1. Each team needs to be part of a registered BFA Club. Don't have a BFA Club? That's fine, you can set one up in 2 minutes here: http://www.britfoos.com/node/add/club
2. Each registered BFA Club can enter more than one team e.g. Keele A, Keele B, Keele C etc.
3. A BFA Club must be made up of players who either live within 40 miles of that club or who regularly (defined as 10 or more visits in a rolling calendar year) frequent it as a player.
4. To encourage players to form BFA Clubs but are without the minimum number of players to put out a team (4 players):
i) BFA Clubs formed since the BFA Cup 2011 can pick 1 guest player as long as they are Semi Pro or below and unaffiliated.
ii) Other BFA Clubs clubs have to draw out of the hat (containing unaffiliated players SP and below).

In summary:

So for players looking to set up a BFA Club but are one player short you will be able to draw from a hat of players ranked Semi Pro or below to bring your team to it's full compliment of players.
For players who do not have other players nearby to realistically form a BFA Club and enter a team you can, as long as you are ranked SP or below, get your name into the hat on the day and get drawn into a team.

There are no Ranking-based points limit for entering a team (i.e. you are able to form a team containing any rank of player) however each match is handicapped. So, for example if a Pro Master is playing a Novice in the first singles game, the Novice will start with a 4 goal headstart in a race to 7!

Finally, the match format. The match order is the same for the group stage and the knockout stage, and is as follows:

Group matches each game is first to 7. All 5 games will need to be played.
Knock out matches are first to 7 best of 3. 5th game is played as a decider if required.
Please remember all games will be handicapped.

D=Doubles with S=Singles

D1
S1
D2
S2
D3

Stipulations and restrictions.
- No player from D1 can play in S1.
- Maximum of two games per player.
- Contrary to the original post, any player can play in the third doubles game.
- The 2 singles matches have to be played by 2 different players
- Each captain has 5 minutes to write their team down and the swap with the opposition.

Teams are picked for each match in a blind draft (i.e. you pick your team without seeing the opponent's lineup).

We encourage teams to wear their own team kit during the team event to create a sense of club identity :)

Details on prizes to come - any questions or queries on the above please just ask away.

Steve
Last edited by Steviola on Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mase

Re: Warwick Open 2012 - The Team Event!

Post by Mase » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:37 pm

Hi Steve,

This looks really good. Think it is clear that clubs will be helped if they are short of players BUT not rewarded for not trying to get the club numbers up.

The club scene is the single biggest factor that will create a super competitive UK scene.

Regards,

Ben

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:20 am

If there are 2 singles and 2 doubles games then doesn't that need 6 players? Will teams of 4 or 5 have to throw one game in each match?
OUTFC Secretary

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:41 pm

Graeme wrote:If there are 2 singles and 2 doubles games then doesn't that need 6 players? Will teams of 4 or 5 have to throw one game in each match?
Steve, correct me if I'm wrong...

The format is similar to the Junior and Senior World Cups, with teams of 4x players selected for each match. Each player can play two games, either a singles and a doubles or two doubles games, with the deciding doubles being the two players who did not play singles. Unclear whether D1 can or cannot include the player who plays S1 (not allowed in the World Cup to allow two matches to be played simultaneously).

Mase

Post by Mase » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:53 pm

From our previous discussions the format is the same as the seniors played in Nantes.

Regards,

Ben

davez

Post by davez » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:57 pm

Looks great! Steve, please can you clarify:
1) in the group stage, is the 3rd doubles always played or only if there is a tie?
2) does each player play a maximum of 2 games (and exactly 2 games if the 3rd doubles is played)?
3) can a player play S1 and also D1 or do you want to be able to play them simultaneously?
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

Simmo

Post by Simmo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:44 pm

davez wrote:Looks great! Steve, please can you clarify:
1) in the group stage, is the 3rd doubles always played or only if there is a tie?
2) does each player play a maximum of 2 games (and exactly 2 games if the 3rd doubles is played)?
3) can a player play S1 and also D1 or do you want to be able to play them simultaneously?
Well the answer to question 1 is yes and i think the answer to question 3 is that anyone can play to fill the 3rd doubles spot

Mase

Post by Mase » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:10 pm

Dave,

It is the same as we played at World Cup for seniors.

LOL. How can that be unclear. We got to the final playing it.

Stop over thinking!

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:35 pm

Mase wrote:Dave,

Stop over thinking!
Mase is correct.

Jude

Post by Jude » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:43 am

Mase wrote:Dave,Stop over thinking!
Surely not! It's one of Daves great pleasures :)

davez

Post by davez » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:17 pm

Steviola wrote:

Stop over thinking!
Mase is correct.
Mase,

Something Steve said implied a difference from WC format - he said that the 3rd doubles was only played if necessary. In the WC it's always played in the group stage.

Also, not everybody here or going to Warwick will know the rules for the Senior team at the World Cup, so I think it should be publicised.

For example, if Steve wants to play games simulataneously, then this affects the line up order and the players need to know that or they will submit incorrect line-ups.

Stop under thinking.
Last edited by davez on Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

davez

Post by davez » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:20 pm

Steviola wrote:Hi everyone,

I thought I'd write a bit about the Team Event at this year's Warwick Open.
any questions or queries on the above please just ask away.

Steve
davez wrote:
Steviola wrote:

Stop over thinking!
Mase is correct.
So what happened to the Steve that said "any questions just ask away"? Why not just answer the questions so people know? Thanks.

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:28 pm

Hi Dave,

I have been very busy the last 2 days. I will publish full format details if I have time tonight, otherwise tomorrow. If there are any other questions please ask and I will try to answer them when I can.

Really looking forward to this event - I want to see lots of new clubs and teams involved with plenty of banter!

P.s I was referring to Mase's comment regarding format - not the rest of his post.

Mase

Post by Mase » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:20 pm

Hi Dave,

I was simply trying to help by answering your question. You did not say you were asking on behalf of everybody. I am sure Steve will give a full answer on this and how it will work as he says later.

You make a good point about the groups, I am assume that Steve will want the 5th game played so that the groups can produce consistent and even results.

Mase

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:06 am

Hi guys,

First post edited with details of the Team Event format - there are a few changes/clarifications.

Hopefully that should all make sense.

ybbun

Post by ybbun » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:07 am

Can one person play both singles games?
BC
A
BD
A
CD

davez

Post by davez » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:40 am

Good spot, I think it's supposed to say "The 2 singles matches have to be played by 2 different players", as it does in the ITSF WC rules.

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:05 pm

Sorted :D

Jonathan may
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jonathan may » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:16 pm

Can I ask what the ruling is for foreign players? Are they eligible to play in the team competition in any circumstances?
--
Manager, TeamGB.

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:59 pm

Hi Jon,

If ranked SP or below they can join the hat with other players without a team to be picked by those needing one extra player.