UKC Results

Tournament announcements + Results + Match Reports
Mase

UKC Results

Post by Mase » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:07 pm

Hi All,

Good event in a good venue, people seem excited about tomorrow. I am sure there will be discussions about the balls but this is results so no place for that.

OS
Joint 1st
Jon May (King seat)
Tom Burdett (Losers side)
3 - Dave Carter
4 - Dave Bareham

Nice to see such good quality foos in this event. Jon played some awesome foos over the day and nice to see the old Dave's get top 4 spots without any table time in 18 months (DC) and 11 months (DB).

I must say although I am happy for Jon and Tom it never seems the same to say UK Champion without Rob Atha in the event and I think Joe Hamilton would have made Jon fight for that king seat, he seemed to take it too easy except for a close run game with Nubbert (on fire from what I heard).

OD
1 - Rob Atha/Dave Z
2- Mike Amsden/Tom Burdett

SS

1 - Boris
2 - Eddie

SD

Taking place when I left.

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Re: UKC Results

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:20 pm

OS

1.Burdett, Tom
2.May, Jonathan
3.Carter, David
4.Bareham, Dave
5.Amsden, Mike
--Nubbert, Andrew
7.Bundy, Joe
--Davey, Rob
9.Darragh, Brendan
--Lyall, Christopher
--Potts, Richard
--Warr, Matthew
--Addison, Graeme
13.Atha, Boris
---Worthington, John
---Ziemann, David
17.Edwards, Eddie
---Haddon, Christopher
---Littlefair, James
---Mason, Benjamin
---Oakes, Callum
---Price, Matt
---Warr, Darren
---Zakowski, Grzegorz
25.Jaeger, Joshua
---Landers, Martin

OD

1.Ziemann, David,Atha, Rob
2.Amsden, Mike,Burdett, Tom
3.Davey, Rob,Nubbert, Andrew
4.Lyall, Christopher,May, Jonathan
5.Haddon, Christopher,Darragh, Brendan
--Potts, Richard,Bundy, Joe
7.Jaeger, Joshua,Littlefair, James
--Mason, Benjamin,Bareham, Dave
9.Addison, Graeme,Franklin, Peter
--Carter, David,Worthington, John
--Warr, Matthew,Warr, Darren
--Zakowski, Grzegorz,Price, Matt
13.Atha, Boris,Edwards, Eddie
--Oakes, Callum,Oakes, Mel

SS

1.Atha, Boris
2.Edwards, Eddie
3.Haddon, Christopher

SD

1.Atha, Boris,Edwards, Eddie
2.Ziemann, David,Haddon, Christopher

JS

1.Warr, Matthew
2.Oakes, Callum
3.Brice, Amy
4.King-Hamilton, Alexi

JD

1.Warr, Matthew,Oakes, Callum
2.Brice, Amy, King-Hamilton, Alexi

ybbun

Post by ybbun » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:12 pm

Mase wrote:I must say although I am happy for Jon and Tom it never seems the same to say UK Champion without Rob Atha in the event and I think Joe Hamilton would have made Jon fight for that king seat, he seemed to take it too easy except for a close run game with Nubbert (on fire from what I heard).
Rich Potts was also 2-1 up in games against Jon in the winners quarter-final! If Rich had won that, all top 4 seeds would have been knocked out in the quarter-finals leaving a very unexpected semi-final lineup of Bareham, Carter, Nubbert and Potts. As it was, Jon won through to king seat and then Tom B came all the way through the losers. Congrats guys.

I lost to Jon 8-6 in the final game and Tom 5-3 in the final game. Using slippy balls and not being ill probably helped quite a bit.

*mayya*

Post by *mayya* » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:41 pm

I thought the OS final wasnt played in the end?

FWIW, the girls we're sending for WS/WD are (we didnt need the UKC):
--WS: Sarah and myself (Jody qualifying automatically)
--WD: Jody/me and Sarah/Donna

Bundy Volume 1

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:51 pm

The OS final wasn't played. Jon had to leave, and as the 2 players could not reach an agreement to be =1st it goes down as Jon forfitting the match.

Mase

Post by Mase » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:11 pm

*mayya* wrote:I thought the OS final wasnt played in the end?

Afraid it wasn't Mayya, it got pushed back and back, at first this was because Tom Burdett wanted to play on a certain table when 6 others were free. Offers were made to move any of the tables under lights but he wasn't interested. This caused in excess of a 45 minute delay. I made sure I kept tabs on this as it was a hugely selfish act.

Then the doubles event was allowed to be concluded before singles which had started first. This added a further 1hour and 20 minutes (losers final and grand final). This was due to people pestering the desk and the desk making a hugely wrong decision. This also resulted in Dave Carter having a 3 hour wait between games while Tom stayed "warm".

All in all I feel a certain pro master leant on his "friends" to get things his way. It felt very much like the Hereford event where we all know the old boys act clicked in to action.

potts

Post by potts » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:32 pm

to clear this up-

I was on the desk, and it was me who called the doubles final. The reason for this (right or wrong) all four players involved were around the table, one side was already wrapped up (tom).

This was not due to 'pestering' but because I saw four players and a match ready to be called (maybe wrong..maybe not). I asked tom which match he would prefer to play...he say he didn't mind either way. I figured as he was already in the doubles mind-frame he should play another doubles match...I would do the same with any player. friend or not.

You say the same thing happened at the Hereford tournament...which once again was my decision. Whether or not my decisions were right or wrong, they were made by my thoughts and not influenced by anyone else.If you honestly think I would make a decision based on peer pressure you are an idiot, chatting complete bloop and I thought you knew me better.

Sorry to sound harsh mate, but I bit my tongue after the bloop you said about hereford, but I cant let you say utter bloop involving me a second time.
Last edited by potts on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:58 pm

Just a thought...why not have a printer always available at events, and tables positioned into zoned areas of say 3 or 4 tables...then, unless there is some technical reason not to, run all tournaments using a group format so we can print off and pin the fixtures onto the wall next to each zone, or table .... This would ensure that players know when and where they need to be because the order of games will be on display and predetermined.

We could blue tac some flip chart paper to the wall and using a marker pen draw some boxes showing Quarter Finals, Semis etc just like at Nantes in the world cup.... I don't care what anyone says, you cant take part in an event and be an effective tournament director at the same time....but using this format it would be possible because the tournament director could nominate a captain of each group who's role would be to usher people ensuring they are poised to play and haven't wondered off for a quick full english.
Martin Landers
Secretary - Darlington Table Football Club

Jonathan May
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jonathan May » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:28 pm

The issue was caused by:

1. One player deciding to only play his matches on one particular table, holding the event up by around 45 minutes on two separate occasions.
2. The tournament director not being present at the desk when decisions were being made on point 1.
3. The people behind the desk being pathetic enough to allow this to happen, and making this decision without asking the TD.
4. The TD not being present at the desk when decisions were being made about how to prioritize matches at the end of the event.

It should be clear that Rich is not at fault here.

Of course, all of this could have been resolved with a simple bit of basic human interaction between me and the individual concerned.

I recognized this, and as a result, I was generous enough to make an offer to "share" the title given:

1. I had already waited four hours to play because of this player's utter selfishness
2. I was in king seat
3. I have only lost a best of five singles match on Garlando to Rob and Fred in almost two years.

Instead of accepting my generous offer, made because I had already unreasonably delayed those who had very kindly offered me a lift home, the individual behaved like a three year old and insisted that he win the match - and the "title" of "UK Champion" outright.

The decision taken by the TD to account my refusal to play as a loss is clearly incorrect in the circumstances. I would suggest that whoever made it, corrects the decision.

I'm glad this is now all clear. We don't need to throw around any more accusations. Whilst TDs (and those who step up when the TD is busy playing 2BRB) often make poor decisions, the blame for this situation lies with the arrogance, selfishness and simple-mindedness of some of the UK's top players, who for some reason believe they deserve special treatment.
--
Manager, TeamGB.

Bundy Volume 1

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:39 am

Jonathan May wrote:The decision taken by the TD to account my refusal to play as a loss is clearly incorrect in the circumstances. I would suggest that whoever made it, corrects the decision.
Regardless of the circumstances a forfeit means the loss of the match. Not to say that I do not empathise with the situation, but this is what happens.

This did happen in '09...
From 2009 UKC wrote:Yup, thanks to someone leaving with Juj's stuff he had to leave before the final could be played, making Rob D and Shovo UK champs.

Either way we have three very strong teams in the competition in January, which is excellent.
From 2009 UKC wrote:It is a shame he had to leave whilst we were sitting in king seat because of a silly mistake. Maybe next year.
It's a great shame things could not have been as amicable as they were back then.

I apologise for not being at the desk at the time.

Jonathan May
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jonathan May » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:24 am

There is a distinction. I did not forfeit. I refused to play.

There is also a distinction between genuine mistakes and arrogant self-absorption.
--
Manager, TeamGB.

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:42 am

Thanks for sharing this John..... Can I just say something now to avoid angering people - THE WEEKEND WAS GREAT FUN and thanks again to those who made it happen - BUTsome things were bad and unless we pull them out from under the carpet and discuss them we'll struggle to inspire new people to attend events and come back for more.

From an outsiders perspective, and with respect to all concerned, the wider issue here is in the administering and managment of the event. Players look to be exploiting sloppyness and a lack of forthought and what we see here are the consequences. I feel for John on this one but I also empathise with players who prefered one table over another. The 5 tables the Darlington lads set up were left in the positions we built them for the whole event, there was no oversight on positioning them under lighting, or ensuring they were level and I thought there would have been... I'd have done this if asked but I dont like to take over someone elses show.

After I ran a tournament in Darlington in 2009 the feedback I recieved focussed around me attempting to take part in everything at the same time as run everything. Its just not possible. The work of the TD should include recruiting and delegating roles to volunteers all geared towards improving the player experience, and there are many roles that need to be done, one being having someone organise people to set up, positon and level tables. I felt uncomforable on the Friday, we took it upon ourselves to set up a tables and ended up buildlng 5 while others in the room just set one up for themsleves and practised. Surely this most important of tasks needs to be better co-ordinated and not left to the goodwill of those who follishly turn up first.

One other thing - the timings of matches is the most difficult thing to manage and no matter what contingencies are put in place there'll always be overruns - so this is all the more reason why it should be given the most thought.... one of the things that always gets mentioned in our long journeys home is the lack of razzamataz around the finals in each event.. We'd like to see the Tom Burdertts, Jon Mays, Boris Athas etc playing their finals. Not only will be learn things, a good crowd around a table energises and inspires people, even the non foosers in the room start to get drawn in. Getting a sport into the mainstream is all about presentation and showmanship - just look at WWE wresting, its crap but people go for the drama and exitment.... personally I find it bizaare that I dont know whatS going once Im knocked out of an event, or worse, a final is played in a quiet corner of the room and I have to wait until 1am to see who's won or check on Britfoos.

At the next event can organsiers please be asked to state clearly in advance how they will manage all these issues,
Martin Landers

Bundy Volume 1

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:06 am

You need to join the ITSF Exec. committee Martin. 'They' share the same views.

How popular their vision is and what effect it is having on our game is debatable. We would not be wise to do what they have done, and put other aspects ahead of the quality of the playing experience for the players. They have been doing this for too long focusing on what you say, and significant pressure is building against them now.

Look at the attendance of P4P championships compared to the Leonhart WCS for example - the popularity of each tournament system becomes clear. We are an amateur game, it would be good to remember that before thrusting a completely different 'professional' tournament model upon our players.

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:19 am

Joe

As Chairman have you any positive thoughts you'd wish to share that might address the issues that have been raised here?

Lead and I will follow.

Martin
Martin Landers

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:15 pm

If a player refuses to play on the table a match is called on he or she should forfeit - full stop!

He or she can ask for a different table but the td is not under any obligation to accede to such a request.

davez

Post by davez » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:43 pm

Great post Martin. While many of us are very familiar with the problems, it's useful to see them re-presented with positivity.

In my opinion, if we want finals finishing at reasonable and knowable times, that everyone can watch before last trains, then we need Single Elim. Sorry. It's logic. I don't like it.
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

Rob Davey

Post by Rob Davey » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:49 pm

Jonathan May wrote:
3. I have only lost a best of five singles match on Garlando to Rob and Fred in almost two years.
Umm - You lost 3-1 to me in Bath earlier this year!

But on another note I would just like to say - in order to clear this all up Bundy is a muppet and Tom Burdett is a massive Bloop

Teeb

Post by Teeb » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:22 pm

In the spirit of britfoos' aimless arguments that are unproductive I figured I may as well offer my version of events.

1) At no point, up until I was preparing to play the singles final, was I aware that Jon May had made prior commitments and had to leave by a certain time.

2) I think it was a shame the quality of lighting and the quality of tables was so poor for an event as high profile as the UKC. I was called to play Dave Bareham at around 4-5pm on a table which had very poor lighting. I asked if I could wait until one of the better lit and more playable tables became available and this request was granted. This was for loser comes 4th. I and the TD(s) judged the tournament to be running ahead of schedule. OD and OS were finished by 9pm.

3) After playing Dave B I was asked if I preferred to play singles or doubles, I said I didn't care and the doubles was called. After the match had started Jon May came over and tried to stop the match saying that the singles should have taken priority as it had an influence over who would qualify for Nantes. I, and the other 3 players, did not want to stop a match once started so played on.

4) After the doubles I started the singles match vs Dave Carter (well played Dave!) and was once again interrupted by Jon requesting that the winner of the current match split first place with him as he had to leave due to prior commitments. I said if I won then I wanted to play.

5) After the match called me a "c*ck" for wanting to play the final and not split first with him. I said that the UKC meant something to me and I wanted to play. I had never won a UKC event after having to forfeit from king seat two years ago when my Juj had to leave to pick up his mistakenly took laptop.

Although I could, or perhaps should, complain to a BFA disciplinary board about receiving aggressive and abusive behaviour from Jon, I am not going to. I know that I, like him, have often acted stupidly when adrenaline has clouded my judgement.

I am disappointed that I did not get chance to play the singles final. It is always a good fight when I play against Jon in singles. I do not intend to hold any grudges. It saddens me that others do not hold the UKC in as high esteem as I do. It was never my intention to act selfishly at anybody else’s expense and I am sad that the course of events happened the way they did. If I had been aware that Jon had a prior commitment I would have certainly requested to play things in a different order to allow him to play the final. I am frustrated that he did not make this clear sooner or at an appropriate time.
In an ‘unbritfooslike’ spirit of reconciliation I am prepared to compromise. Jon, please PM me if you are prepared to discuss this.

Tom

Rob Davey

Post by Rob Davey » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:27 am

I just want to add - Tom ............. Dave Bareham hates your guts soooooooooooooooo much!!!

WITH A PASSION I HAVE NEVER SEEN IN A HUMAN BEFORE!

Rob

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:36 am

Thanks Tom for your version - now we have a clearer picture how about playing the final sometime in the next week. Is there any reason why this couldn't happen.
Martin Landers