The Barrels 1st Open UK Foosball Tournament: 14/08/11

Tournament announcements + Results + Match Reports
Lil Brice
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:27 am
Real Name: Sarah Brice
Location: Keele Uni

The Barrels 1st Open UK Foosball Tournament: 14/08/11

Post by Lil Brice » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:54 am

The Barrels 1st Open UK Foosball Tournament

Sunday 14th August

69 St. Owen Street
Hereford,
Herefordshire,
HR1 2JQ
01432 274 968

Minimum sponsorship: £1500!!!

10 brand new garlando telescopic pinny feet tables

This is a no snake, no pin shot tournament!

BFA ranking event

Registration 11:30
Open Singles (groups/ SE) 12:00
Open Doubles (groups/ SE) 15:00

(more events subject to attendance)

We aim to finish events between 7:30-9:30pm

Entry Fees: (£)
Nov/Am/SP/Pro/PM
Open Doubles: 3/ 3/ 5/7.50/ 10
Open Singles: 3/ 3/ 5/7.50/ 10

No Table Fees!

Pre-Registration - http://www.britfoos.com/registration/BarrelsOpen

User avatar
leaks
Posts: 873
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:35 pm
Real Name: Oliver Deakin
Location: Southampton

Re: The Barrels 1st Open UK Foosball Tournament: 14/08/11

Post by leaks » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:13 pm

Lil Brice wrote:pinny feet
...
no pin tournament!
lol! :)

Tempting, particularly for the bargainous price!

Alex MM
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:21 pm
Real Name: Alex Millington Marston

Re: The Barrels 1st Open UK Foosball Tournament: 14/08/11

Post by Alex MM » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:08 pm

When you say "no pin" do you mean no pin shots or literally no pinning? Not even like inbetween tic tacing when your about to lose the ball?

User avatar
Simmo
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:25 pm
Real Name: Simon Yeung
Location: Gloucester/ Birmingham

Re: The Barrels 1st Open UK Foosball Tournament: 14/08/11

Post by Simmo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:48 pm

Alex MM wrote:When you say "no pin" do you mean no pin shots or literally no pinning? Not even like inbetween tic tacing when your about to lose the ball?
Im pretty sure its just no pin shots.

User avatar
Boris
BFA Treasurer
Posts: 9447
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2003 10:15 pm
Real Name: Boris Atha
Location: Liverpool
Contact:

Re: The Barrels 1st Open UK Foosball Tournament: 14/08/11

Post by Boris » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:36 pm

I've always thought that reducing time limits with say a maximum 3 seconds for the ball to be stationary (or pinned) would be a better way of dealing with tedious set-shots than a ban on pinning the ball. Nothing is more boring to watch than a pull shooter taking their full time allocation and setting the ball up just so ...

Lil Brice
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:27 am
Real Name: Sarah Brice
Location: Keele Uni

Re: The Barrels 1st Open UK Foosball Tournament: 14/08/11

Post by Lil Brice » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:44 pm

I meant no pin shots. You are allowed to pin the ball for control.

Lil Brice
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:27 am
Real Name: Sarah Brice
Location: Keele Uni

Re: The Barrels 1st Open UK Foosball Tournament: 14/08/11

Post by Lil Brice » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:01 pm


SpAn
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:55 am
Real Name: Spencer Powers
Location: Warwick Uni/London

Re: The Barrels 1st Open UK Foosball Tournament: 14/08/11

Post by SpAn » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:02 pm

No pin shots, it is almost like you people want me to start learning something else. I'd need to work out how to get there but I'm up for it.

Willy
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:52 am
Real Name: Tom Willetts
Location: At Work

Re: The Barrels 1st Open UK Foosball Tournament: 14/08/11

Post by Willy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:01 pm

Sounds awesome!... but I'm on holiday :(

User avatar
Elvis
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:55 pm
Real Name: Martin Landers
Location: Darlington
Contact:

Re: The Barrels 1st Open UK Foosball Tournament: 14/08/11

Post by Elvis » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:07 pm

The Darlington crew really wanted to support this event but we all seem to be on holiday when its on - good luck
Martin Landers
Secretary - Darlington Table Football Club

User avatar
Mase
Posts: 6587
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:49 am
Real Name: Ben Mason
Location: Bristol - UK

Re: The Barrels 1st Open UK Foosball Tournament: 14/08/11

Post by Mase » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:28 pm

Is this event ranking? I would think not with the barring of certain shots.

Regards,

Mase

User avatar
Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London
Posts: 3258
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:13 pm
Real Name: Joe Bundy
Location: Liverpool

Re: The Barrels 1st Open UK Foosball Tournament: 14/08/11

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:48 pm

The committee and TCC have voted to award this tournament Cat E ranking status. The updates to the policy documents are now up on the main site.

User avatar
Mase
Posts: 6587
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:49 am
Real Name: Ben Mason
Location: Bristol - UK

Re: The Barrels 1st Open UK Foosball Tournament: 14/08/11

Post by Mase » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:52 pm

Guess the committee and TCC are happy to be dictated to on styles of play now.

I think it is a nice idea that will allow players to experience a different style but for me it is not a tournament to attend as I like to snake and pin. I wish the organisers all the best and hope you get a good turnout.


Regards,


Ben

User avatar
Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London
Posts: 3258
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:13 pm
Real Name: Joe Bundy
Location: Liverpool

Re: The Barrels 1st Open UK Foosball Tournament: 14/08/11

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:10 pm

Mase wrote:Guess the committee and TCC are happy to be dictated to on styles of play now.
The committee, the BFA, supports UK table football. Full ITSF rules are not the be all and end all of UK table football. Though there are obviously many good reasons for rules on which tournaments get to be awarded with BFA ranking status, which I obviously wont go into now and we'll be here all day, we feel the new policy documents and the Cat E category bring a good balance and show our rightful support of quality events such as this.

I'm very much looking forward to this event. 1 day, very low entry fees and lots of sponsorship - all ideal.

jamesofptfs
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:43 am
Real Name: James Littlefair

Re: The Barrels 1st Open UK Foosball Tournament: 14/08/11

Post by jamesofptfs » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:42 pm

What type of balls will be used?

User avatar
Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London
Posts: 3258
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:13 pm
Real Name: Joe Bundy
Location: Liverpool

Re: The Barrels 1st Open UK Foosball Tournament: 14/08/11

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:51 pm

According to the TCC proposal: Barenherz

potts
Posts: 491
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:10 pm
Real Name: richard potts
Location: tamworth
Contact:

Re: The Barrels 1st Open UK Foosball Tournament: 14/08/11

Post by potts » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:52 pm

Just to let you all know the venue will be opening a bar in the main tournament room, so we wont have to work our way through the pub for a pint!

Also, food can be brought into the pub beer garden and the venue room.

User avatar
Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London
Posts: 3258
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:13 pm
Real Name: Joe Bundy
Location: Liverpool

Re: The Barrels 1st Open UK Foosball Tournament: 14/08/11

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:54 pm

potts wrote:So we wont have to work our way through the pub for a pint!
Good jobv, but you mean a bottle of Weston's Vintage - this is the reason why Steve will be there :wink:

User avatar
davez
Posts: 4072
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2003 11:17 pm
Real Name: Dave Ziemann
Location: London, UK

Re: The Barrels 1st Open UK Foosball Tournament: 14/08/11

Post by davez » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:09 am

I think a no snake tournament is a fine and fun idea. Everyone knows what a snake is (wrist on handle + rolllover) and it's easy to tell if someone shoots a snake. But I think making this a no pin tournament is a mistake because it's hard to rule and can cause disagreements. For example:

1. am I allowed to pin the ball but not shoot it, and if so, what is the minimum that I must then do with the ball before I can shoot it?
2. can I pin the ball and then instantaneously and do a straight rollover?
3. can I pin the ball and then move my man around convert to a regular pull or push shot (a reverse)?
4. can I pin the ball and then roll over the ball and push-kick it to the far man and cut it in?
5. can I pin the ball and shoot from my 5 or the 2 or is the restriction only on the 3?
6. is a back pin disallowed or only a front pin?

I don't mean these questions to be answered, there are probably many similar ones, but I just pose them to demonstrate the difficulty in implementing the rule.

Finally, I understand the reason for having a snake-free tournament, but I don't understand why pin shots should be banned (and not pulls shots for example).
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

richmarsh
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:12 am
Real Name: Rich Marsh
Location: London

Re: The Barrels 1st Open UK Foosball Tournament: 14/08/11

Post by richmarsh » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:42 am

I will probably come to this because I enjoy foos (no matter what rules are used) and my only issue at the moment is getting back on the Sunday evening.

However, Dave raises some interesting points that I agree with.
davez wrote:I think a no snake tournament is a fine and fun idea. Everyone knows what a snake is (wrist on handle + rolllover) and it's easy to tell if someone shoots a snake. But I think making this a no pin tournament is a mistake because it's hard to rule and can cause disagreements. For example:

1. am I allowed to pin the ball but not shoot it, and if so, what is the minimum that I must then do with the ball before I can shoot it?
2. can I pin the ball and then instantaneously and do a straight rollover?
3. can I pin the ball and then move my man around convert to a regular pull or push shot (a reverse)?
4. can I pin the ball and then roll over the ball and push-kick it to the far man and cut it in?
5. can I pin the ball and shoot from my 5 or the 2 or is the restriction only on the 3?
6. is a back pin disallowed or only a front pin?

I don't mean these questions to be answered, there are probably many similar ones, but I just pose them to demonstrate the difficulty in implementing the rule.
To add another question into the mix, why has the Barenherz ball been chosen when this is the grippiest, most pin and snake friendly ball? This may be the only tournament where I would agree with using speedballs given the rule restrictions.
davez wrote:Finally, I understand the reason for having a snake-free tournament
I don't however really understand the reason for this, but as I said earlier it wouldn't stop me from coming.

Post Reply