Post Manchester Fireball 2010 discussion and Pics

Tournament announcements + Results + Match Reports
Philo

Post Manchester Fireball 2010 discussion and Pics

Post by Philo » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:19 pm

I saw a few cameras about on the day and wondered if anyone took some good pics they wouldn’t mind sharing.

Here are a couple of mine, taken with my phone i'm affraid:

Would also like to say this was the best tournament experience I have had in ages. Good to have so many games with lots of skilled nice people. :D

I was also again very impressed with those fireballs. Did anyone else notice how few balls flew off the table compared to other tables?
Philo

atomic tortoise

Re: Post Manchester Fireball 2010 discussion and Pics

Post by atomic tortoise » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:27 pm

ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space......firstly total respect to jon may and all of the manc crew for hosting such a great event......to everyone who turned up....to all the more experienced players who took the time out to share their knowledge and give support to the less experienced....[are you experienced?....oh let's not start that again!!!].....in my case especially thanks to lukasz,norman,tony,oatsey,dammo,yuri and tessa,brendan and alina....to andy gidney[for the transport] and emil for putting up with me as their partners....chris herbert and mase for the poker....the lovely chloe in the bar downstairs at the venue....[1.70 a pint!!!!!!!!!....that's 1980s prices!!]..........

highs:
arriving
playing a semi pro in the first round of the open doubles and losing 8-7 in the fifth[in the excitement i have forgotten his name...could someone remind me?]
meeting and playing the keele collective
hanging out with brian harms on saturday
seeing the darlington massive on sunday
not embarrasing myself too much[except when me and andy played statues against rob and mase in handicap doubles]
coming second and picking up a trophy in beginner's singles[well played mac!]

lows:
leaving
getting home at 4 a.m

...can't wait for the next one....float on!....[sorry mase!!!!!!]

Christopher Lyall
BFA Regional Rep - South West

Post by Christopher Lyall » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:30 pm

atomic tortoise wrote:playing a semi pro in the first round of the open doubles and losing 8-7 in the fifth[in the excitement i have forgotten his name...could someone remind me?]
That would be one Mr Stanislav Burlakov.
www.fivebar.co.uk - Foosball Tournaments, Leagues, Shop

atomic tortoise

Post by atomic tortoise » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:33 pm

....that should read that i lost 8-7 in the first round open singles....

atomic tortoise

Post by atomic tortoise » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:36 pm

wow that was quick christopher....thanks...also i forgot to say a massive thanks to tom burdett for his comments after that game...

atomic tortoise

Post by atomic tortoise » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:44 pm

...........oh and to dave z for explaining the adjustment rule.....now if i can only stop doing it i should be ok.....

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:59 pm

Huge thanks to Jon and the foosball UK team. Was really good to see a big UK tournament again (or rather the biggest in the UK in my time in the game), how big of an achievement this was cannot be under-estimated.
Lots of very good things happened at this event, and I very much look forward to their future tournaments.

I was also really pleased by the ball choice. Maybe it was just because it really suited my game, but think it was a really good call.

[self-indulgent bit]
Personally I really loved having Sunday as the singles day. Gave me time to really warm up and get into the table, and thus play better than I usually do. In fact, this was the 1st tournament ever where I did better in singles than doubles. Obviously winning AS was the biggest highlight, really happy to win my 1st singles event in a pretty strong field (look at the results and some of the players in there, and then lol at the title of 'amateur'). Thanks mainly to Mr. 3 bar, who was pretty much always there and consistant. Was probably by best run in OS too, finishing above some top quality players.
[/self-indulgence]

Thanks to all my doubles partners too. Wish I could of played as well as I did in singles with you, but still had fun and some solid results.

Was good to see some new players pick up good results too. Lee taking Stan to itsf sweat ball in 5-5 format was a really good performance, it's a very hard thing to do against a player who has strong tournament experience, it is a different game.
My 'one to watch' though would be Alex McDonald, a junior from Keele. I didn't get to see him in too many games, but taking down a good semi-pro in singles was no mean feat, considering he can't of been playing that long, and only a month or so with tournament players like Fitz. He's already got a solid overall game, and some very good 2 bar shots. So well played man.

Congrats to all event winners too, it was a tournament with a very strong field of players, so well played all.

Really good to see everyone again too, hopefully we can have lots more big turn out tournaments this sporting year, as I do love you all x

Matt Price
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Price » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:17 pm

I'd like to add to the praise being put on Jon May and all those involved in the running of the tournament. I had a great time at this tournament and really loved the table.

Highs

- Doing well in Open Doubles with Fitz, we played pretty well, it was certainly my best ever finish in Opens.
- Getting a good turnout from Keele and seeing all the Keele guys doing well, particularly our three beginners who all came away with at least one trophy each.
-Performing well in a few singles games and doing well in left handed singles!
- It was nice to have a lot of 'fun' events like left handed, rollerball etc all included in the package.
- Getting a (fairly) consistent pull shot at the very end of the tournament.

Lows

- I found it disappointing that the Novice events didn't start until very late on Sunday evening. I know that it can't be helped and that things will always overrun, but I had been hoping to do well in the Novice events and was way to tired by the time they came around, which meant I didn't perform well and didn't enjoy those games very well. Apologies to anyone that had to play me in Novice.
- Not getting a (fairly) consistent pull shot until the very end of the tournament...

I had a great time though and am a big fan of the table. I'm also chuffed that we managed to get 8 Keele guys to the tournament and glad that our beginners did so well!

atomic tortoise

Post by atomic tortoise » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:47 pm

.... and to j.p for helping me with my french...merci bien mon ami....a bientot....

davez

Post by davez » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:54 pm

Thank you very much Jon May and your dedicated team for an excellent and clearly very successful tournament!

All of your hard work paid off. I think it was the perfect turnout for the events, number of tables and the time available.

Is the secret to tell people it's going to be a big event, and tell them early?

I hope to find time to also post some personal reactions and maybe some fireball table feedback as well.

Thanks again Jon!
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

Simmo

Post by Simmo » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:53 am

Many thanks to Jon May for organising this fantastic tournament and for the guys who set up the tables. Thanks for my partners who had to put up with me in doubles.

Highs:

Turnout! I havent seen an amazing turnout in a very long time,
Seeing everyone again,
Meeting new people,
Winning SPD with Chris (your snake was on fire in the KO stages!)
Actually playing well with Chris for once lol,
Making a profit,
Had an amazing game against Andreas and being 2-0 up but still dont understand how i lost.
Winning 2brb with Mr.Ziemann after an epic own goal fail,
Coming 2nd in SPS narrowly losing to Tamas Beh,
Watching Tony play live!
Epic left handed shots from Tony in LHS
Beating Rich Potts a million times over the weekend :wink:
Slingshot winner again Mark Nubbert on sweat ball :D
The stylish trophies,
Mase playing Katy B - Katy On A Mission all weekend :roll:
All the fit students at the bar working or drinking.
James Oats spending more time at the bar than on a table

Lows:
Not being able to drink much or party,
Almost missing the train back to Brum,
65th in OS, :?
Doing pretty badly in all the group stages,
Not doing as well as i hoped in OD

PaulM

Post by PaulM » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:28 am

Thank you to all involved with this competition. I loved the venue, the Table was fun, the ball worked. The standard of competition was very high, and there were more Europeans than I expected. Well done Jon.
It's great having a venue with it's own Cashpoint. Very Useful. I got so confused at the Bar though. No wonder Students get so drunk. Those prices are fantastic.
There were some great matches, but the Game that sticks in my mind is FSO, when Tony Spredeman was beaten by Martyn Harris, 7 - 6. Fantastic result. It was even announced on the PA, but not a single clap, no sound of appreciation from anybody. You all must of expected Martyn to win that game. I just wish there had been more people to watch it. Well done Martyn.
The lighting was the only issue for me. Moving the Tables to the edge of the Hall, under the balcony was a big improvement. Is the prize money breakdown ready for publication yet? I am still trying to work out how much I didn't win.

Great time
Thank you.

davez

Post by davez » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:40 am

Wow Martyn, I wish I'd seen that!

Maybe you can casually drop that one in when you play Tony's father in the senior team event in Nantes.
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:32 pm

Massive thanks to Mr May and all his little helpers for this tourney, which indeed lived up to it's billing.

Loads of events, great turnout, loved the tables and plenty of room to play on them.

Chris Bulley and I runners up in 2ballrollerball? LOL - I usually never enter this event but as it was in the package, well....

Thanks Paul Martin for watching the game and for your comments re me knocking Tony out of FSO - hehe, I can't believe I am even saying this ! I was 6-4 up as well, he naturally stormed back and I then started to mentally prepare my "well done Tony" speech. However, the game then went end to end and I happlily managed to fall over the line. Memorable !

A word on Tony. A nicer guy you could not wish to meet. I found him once again to be approachable, friendly, and willing to give his time to anyone who spoke to him. I run my own business and I'd be fortunate to have someone like Tony represent my company. Dennis is truly lucky to have Tony on board in connection with the promotion of Fireball tables.

Nice also meeting Brad from the USA, I wish I had not suffered a complete loss of voice as I wanted to talk more to him and indeed many others over the weekend.

Rob Atha and Tonys OS match shows just how the game can be played at the very highest level.

With a winners trophy and runners up medal in my pocket plus a bit of the folding stuff, I left Manchester with good memories and the hope that another Fireball event is not too far off in the distance.

Martyn
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

davez

Post by davez » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:12 pm

Martyn wrote:plenty of room to play on them.
Good point.

ybbun

Post by ybbun » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:02 pm

Fantastic tournament - thanks to all those involved in making it happen! Great turnout, great venue, very well run.

Highlight was winning rollerball forward shootout - best event ever. Not having to play Tony Spred at any point was particularly helpful.

I'd hoped to do well in left-handed singles too but got beaten by an on-form Dave Z who made the final before losing to Spred. That was a fun one to watch (good dinking Dave).

Also really enjoyed my OS match against Dave Oates - he destroyed me 5-0 in the first game with a series of excellent bank shots but I somehow cobbled together a defence and edged the next two games. It was very tense foos and lots of fun.

Lowlight was seeing someone (not a regular) attempt to cheat against Matthew Warr, trying to deny him a goal by claiming stationary shots on the 5 aren't allowed, at a crucial point in the match. He clearly knew the rules and was taking advantage of Matt who wasn't going to challenge it. What's wrong with some people?

atomic tortoise

Post by atomic tortoise » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:12 pm

hey...name and shame the culprit..oh and while i'm here...i can't believe how few people have commented on here about the event....and that includes the organisers...i realise people have lives to live outside of foosball but a simple thank you to the people who attended and made it such a success would not go amiss....this was only my second tournament and i am a late arrival to the scene but i can't help but notice a definite sense of friction and factionalism going on....perhaps i'm mistaken...i'll go back and read all the previous threads on here and see if i can work out what happened in the past to bring this atmosphere about....until then i'll just float on!

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:54 pm

Thanks to Jon and Foosball UK as well as everyone who helped behind the desk and with other organisational stuff. I think overall this was a good tournament, I definitely hope there's another Fireball event in the not-too-distant future. If it looks like there'll be a few a year I'll be sure to look into getting a Fireball next summer when I have a bigger house :D.

Highs:

- taking a game off Tony & Damian in OD (push snake ftw), Mark and I had come through a weird game against Ollie and Hannah and were rewarded with getting a game against Tony, which was great fun
- receiving some good advice from both Tony and Brad from the US
- finding a front-pin late on Sunday and deciding to go with it instead of the snake, which helped get me to the AS quarterfinals
- I generally like the tables, there weren't too many bounce-outs (except in the BYOB singles with Tessa's bouncey ball...) or balls off the tables, it's a very fast table with the ball coming off the walls really quickly which did take some getting used to
- I enjoyed the left-handed singles and handicap singles even though I didn't get very far in either, I do like these non-standard sorts of events
- seeing people who haven't been to a tourney for a while and meeting new players especially from overseas, always enjoy this side of tournaments
- an excellent turnout from Keele, well done Fitz & co

Lows:

- playing very inconsistently and struggling on the 5-bar and 3-bar (not ideal when playing up front in doubles...). My pull-side snake never really got going and I should have changed to front-pin earlier. I rarely get a chance to play on any tournament-standard tables and I also don't often play against people who are better than me, until this changes I think I'm going to be stuck on a bit of a plateau as far as tournament results go
- there were too many events, as I said there would be. Having the fun events like left-handed singles is good but IMO it was too ambitious to have them alongside all the regular events, hopefully not as many events will be crammed in next time...
- I wasn't particularly impressed with the number of overseas players who were allowed to enter Amateur events. Yes our players have benefited from the reverse where players already in ranking systems can sneak in as rookies but I still feel a stricter criterion could have been applied
- I kind of feel the poker event damaged the social side of the tournament, with around half the players disappearing off to play. I think it would have been different if it had been held in the same room as the tourney and had been a bit cheaper (as it felt a little too exclusive) - I understand that this may not have been possible

Jon I hope you don't mind my criticism, I'm very glad to see someone trying to experiment with some new ideas at a tournament. I just hope the feedback from this event can be taken into account to make for an even better one next time.

Finally I'd like to say well done to Joe Bundy for playing some excellent singles games and winning Amateur Singles in a pretty strong field.

Oh, and Brendan I owe you a filthy game of singles :)
OUTFC Secretary

Jude

Post by Jude » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:52 am

Well done to Jon & co, great event, and lovely to see so many tables, took me back to the Tournament Soccer days :)

Highs - The Duke and I choosing to be "lovers", and then being successful as so...
The Duke's stick pass! and pull shot!
Meeting and chatting with lovely people
Playing on the "adult" poker table

Lows - SKO first to 7 lottery
Playing on the "one flew over the cuckoo's nest" poker table

Well done to Jon & co, great !

Damo

Post by Damo » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:37 am

Well done to Jon May ,Chris Herbert & Co for a great Tourny.

Venue was excellent tables played well and it was encouraging to see Dennis there working hard on the tables and listening to the feedback from the players.

The success of this tourny bodes well for the future of Foos & Fireball .
Speaking to Martin Landers & Lee Trosclair it was great to hear how they are bringing the game of foosball and growing player numbers in their respective areas.

Many thanks to my partners Tony Spredeman, Petra Koncz & Martyn Harris it as a pleasure to play with you all.
It was also great to that the Irish success in OD (Norman) AD (Jude) WS & WD (Louise) and Karl McGlynn also played well.

3rd in the OD and 9th on the DYP were good results for me again thanks Tony & Martyn,

Regards,

Damian
Peace & Love in the GHETTO