Darlington 2010 - Post tournament Comments!

Tournament announcements + Results + Match Reports
Oatsey

Darlington 2010 - Post tournament Comments!

Post by Oatsey » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:31 am

Any feedback/write up from this event? How did it go?

It looked ok from the pictures but not sure why there were Tornado trophies there?

Martyn

Re: Darlington Garlando Open 2010 1st-3rd October

Post by Martyn » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:05 am

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

Nub

Post by Nub » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:21 am

Preliminary results removed, view bundy's thread :)
Last edited by Nub on Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:09 pm

Hi Joe/ & Everyone who attended, and to those who were unable to attend but provided words of encouragement.

Many, many thanks for the incredible support we received for this event. It was wonderful to see so many people travelling to our town to take part....in abismal weather too.

Your many words of encouragement have given me great support and made me feel very proud of what we have begun to achieve up here in the north east. I have drawn strength from those who made the effort to attend and I feel inspired and energised to work and grow interest the game locally.

During the tournament I was touched by how many players came up to me, and my friends, to offer gentle words of support and encouragement - and I was amazed at just how quickly a player can improve by embracing a few simple techniques they were previously unaware of….This unexpected addition to our local gene pool was a welcome spin-off and has given us a lot to think about as well as the motivation to recipricate your support by travlling ourselves to other events.

There is much to be done up here to give the game greater prominence but I now feel energised to do all I can to develop a much bigger player base and make Darlington the “Must Attend Event” in the annual Foos Calendar.

Tom, Greame, Mike, Mark, Boris, Errol, Lee, and many others whose name I can’t recall were all stars. I particularly enjoyed the out-of-office banter over a well earned curry, although by that time I was completely shattered.... Rob Atha, thank you for travelling up, sorry I never got the chance for a longer chat…..

I am now looking forward to consolidating our local league and developing a core group of players who regularly travel to national and international events over the coming months and years.

I could say so much more but this is already too long.

Thanks again Joe for ensuring this all went so smoothly

Yours ever,

Martin
Martin Landers
Secretary - Darlington Table Football Club

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Darlington Results and after-glow

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:52 pm

All results for non-'ITSF' events are knock-out stages only.
MOD - Final standings now included for all events

OS
1. Burdett, Tom .
2. Nubbert, Andrew .
3. Bicki, Lukasz .
4. Amsden, Mike .
5. Atha, Boris .
5. Nubbert, Mark .
7. Darragh, Brendan .
7. Zakowski, Grzegorz .
9. Addison, Graeme .
9. Bundy, Joe .
9. Potts, Richard .
9. Tari, Joszef .
13. Burlakov, Stanislav .
13. Darragh, Alina .
13. Tez, Errol .
13. Willetts, Tom .
17. Aiken, David .
17. Biggs, Joe .
17. Binney, Matthew .
17. Oakes, Callum .
17. Peyton, Abigail .
17. Price, Michael .
17. Warr, Darren .
17. Warr, Matthew .
25. Dixon, Paul .
25. Kelly, Charlotte .
25. Landers, Martin .
25. Trosclair, Lee .

OD
1. Burdett, Tom Atha, Rob .
2. Nubbert, Andrew Amsden, Mike .
3. Bicki, Lukasz Zakowski, Grzegorz .
4. Bundy, Joe Potts, Richard .
5. Nubbert, Mark Willetts, Tom .
5. Tari, Joszef Atha, Boris .
7. Burlakov, Stanislav Addison, Graeme .
7. Warr, Darren Warr, Matthew .
9. Aiken, David Price, Michael .
9. Darragh, Alina Darragh, Brendan .
9. Landers, Martin Oakes, Callum .
9. Trosclair, Lee Tez, Errol .
13. Binney, Matthew Dixon, Paul .
13. Peyton, Abigail Jerga, Gabor .

PS
1. Tari, Joszef .
2. Bicki, Lukasz .
3. Atha, Boris .
4. Zakowski, Grzegorz .

5 Darragh, Brendan
6 Nubbert, Mark
6 Bundy, Joe
8 Addison, Graeme
9 Burlakov, Stanislav
9 Darragh, Alina
11 Willetts, Tom

PD
1. Bicki, Lukasz Zakowski, Grzegorz .
2. Willetts, Tom Tari, Joszef .
3. Atha, Boris Potts, Richard .
4. Darragh, Alina Darragh, Brendan .

5 Nubbert, Mark Bundy, Joe
6 Burlakov, Stanislav Addison, Graeme

AS
1. Tez, Errol .
2. Warr, Matthew .
3. Cieslik, Marta .
4. Oakes, Callum .
5. Landers, Martin .

6 Warr, Darren
7 Trosclair, Lee
8 Peyton, Abigail
9 Binney, Matthew

AD
1.Warr, Darren Warr, Matthew.
2.Dixon, Andy Cieslik, Marta.

3 Tez, Errol Trosclair, Lee
4 Price, Michael Aiken, David
5 Landers, Martin Oakes, Callum
6 Biggs, Joe Kelly, Charlotte
7 Binney, Matthew Dixon, Paul

NS
1. Warr, Matthew .
2. Warr, Darren .
3. Tez, Errol .
4. Price, Michael .
5. Aiken, David .
5. Trosclair, Lee .

7 Oakes, Callum
7 Jerga, Gabor
7 Landers, Martin
10 Binney, Matthew

ND
1. Tez, Errol Trosclair, Lee .
2. Warr, Darren Warr, Matthew .
3. Aiken, David Price, Michael .
4. Kelly, Charlotte Biggs, Joe .

5 Landers, Martin Oakes, Callum
6 Peyton, Abigail Peyton, Adam
7 Dixon, Paul Binney, Matthew
7 Dillon, Sean Rose, Steve
9 Jollie, Neil Zissler, John

Pro-Am
1. Burdett, Tom Warr, Matthew .
2. Bundy, Joe Addison, Graeme .
3. Zakowski, Grzegorz Cieslik, Marta .
4. Tez, Errol Bicki, Lukasz .
5. Darragh, Alina Darragh, Brendan .
5. Nubbert, Mark Trosclair, Lee .

7 Willetts, Tom Burlakov, Stanislav
7 Nubbert, Andrew Landers, Martin
7 Tari, Joszef Oakes, Callum
10 Binney, Matthew Potts, Richard
10 Amsden, Mike Warr, Darren
12 Biggs, Joe Atha, Boris

WS
1. Darragh, Alina .
2. Cieslik, Marta .
3. Kelly, Charlotte .
4. Peyton, Abigail .
5. Warr, Margaret .
5. Warr, Rachel .

WD
1. Cieslik, Marta Darragh, Alina .
2. Kelly, Charlotte Peyton, Abigail .

SS
1. Atha, Boris .
2. Tez, Errol .
3. Harms, Brian .
4. Biggs, Joe .

SD
1. Atha, Boris Harms, Brian .
2. Tez, Errol Biggs, Joe .

JS
1. Warr, Matthew .
2. Oakes, Callum .

Pro-Am DYP
1. Warr, Darren Darragh, Alina .
2. Dillon, Sean Willetts, Tom .
3. Hindle, Richard Potts, Richard .
4. Ward, Martin Bicki, Lukasz .
5. Bundy, Joe Landers, Martin .
5. Burlinson, Darren Addison, Graeme .
5. Langan, Nick Darragh, Brendan .

Under 11 Doubles
1. Emily Warr & Carter Thompson
2. Regan Thompson & Robert Landers
3. Robson Paley & Sophie Landers
4. Courtney Thompson & Callum Moncur

Under 11 Singles
1. Emily Warr
2. Robert Landers

MikkyX

Re: Darlington 2010 - Post tournament Comments!

Post by MikkyX » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:09 pm

Massive thanks to everyone who attended, helped organise or helped run this event. I had a fantastic weekend, met some great players, picked up a lot of tips and help and look forward to the next one. Hope everyone who came up to Darlo for a few days went home happy and not too wet!

Can't wait for the full results to be released so I can see where I rank now! :D

Bundy Volume 1

Re: Darlington Results and after-glow

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:34 pm

I'd like to give a huge thank-you to Martin for all the promotion he did for this tournament, and his efforts over the weekend. It was an absolute pleasure to work with you.
Big thanks to so many of the Darlington guys too (too many to name you all, sorry!), and Lee Trosclair (float on), who did all the setting up and down of the tables....I seriously can't put into words how good it was not to have to do all of that, with very little help, over many hours. They were all very happy to help however, and from how they were, imo our community could only be improved if we adopted more of an attitude like this. You'd be amazed how quickly and well they got it done too. Fantastic effort guys!
Thanks generally to everyone who turned up.

From what I heard the keen local players loved the tournament, and it only increased their desire to play the game. This is enough to make the tournament worth while to me.

It really was the most fun I've had at a tournament for so long. This may have partly been because I'm more competitive on Garlando than I ever have been, but mainly because of the fantastic atmosphere everyone who was there created, and how stress-free it was for me to run. So many aspects of this event I wish were at every tournament.
Had a lot of really fun games too, OS games against Lukasz and the Pro-Am final spring to mind.
An early finish Saturday meant for a really fun night. Music, drinking, Chinese, excellent company and the best quiz ever a la Brendan. All followed but no real hang-over. Ideal.

I also think a lot of lessons were learnt at this event for myself and Martin. I would love to do a Darlington again next year, and could only see it being better, and I also think every travelling player would come up again.

Not all was ideal though. The attendance wasn't what was hoped. We did get very good numbers of novice players, but most only entered one event on one of the days. Due to how the pricing was set out and table fees, we didn't get money into the tournament fund from many of the novice players. This meant the pay out was low, and I couldn't really pay out in anything but open events (where we did at least have a decent prize fund that went reasonably deep). I do genuinely feel bad about this, as those who finished high in other events deserved more.
The only other downer was an incident of cheating. This was a player who kept swapping the Garlando balls for Robertos (or something similar) that were a lot grippier . They did this against players who couldn't tell the difference before the ball was in play, even after they were told they could not use the Roberto balls.....several times. This benefited them and disadvantaged the people they played. This was a great shame to see. I wont name the person, and I only hope that they see this and realise the error of their ways and do not make the same mistakes in the future.

Anyway, lets end with a summing up of the highs;

The people.
The atmosphere.
Boris's iPod (seriously should be worked into a tournament being granted ranking status).
Very friendly hotel staff.
Trevor Sinclair.
Brendan's quiz, and the competitiveness beyond that of the tournament.
Just having more fun than any tournament in a long time.

Foos as a whole in this country may be languishing but if events that feel like this carry on, and we learn how to improve on them, things can't be that bad.

Float on.

Bundy Volume 1

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:39 pm

edit: cheers mods for fixing
Last edited by Bundy Volume 1 on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nub

Post by Nub » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:30 pm

I second everything Joe said, with a couple of extra highs:

Martin Landers' 1-bar
Matthew "sweatballs are more fun" Warr
Timeout
Twilletts pretending to be a mathematician :p
149,000 miles and Brendan's car is STILL red

I had a brilliant time, and would certainly make the journey again if we're lucky enough to have another Darlington Open next year.

Nub

ybbun

Post by ybbun » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:56 pm

Thanks to everyone involved in running this!

I really enjoyed this tournament. The turnout was fairly low but as Joe said this was mainly due to most local players entering the events which were convenient for them. The largest attended event was probably the Friday DYP - someone suggested that if that hadn't been held there might have been a bigger turnout on the Saturday! Despite the large number of events it was great that there was a core group of about 10 locals that played in every single event over the weekend. And from chatting to various people it was clear that they were enjoying themselves, not only in the novice and amateur events but also the opportunity to play against national players.

Highs:
- Playing with Martin Landers in the pro-am - we didn't do very well but had some good games and spent a lot of time chatting about different approaches to shooting/defending etc. It was nice to meet you and see the great work you've done in Darlington.
- Playing with Mike in OD - as expected involving lots of (effective) swapping at random moments.
- Watching the pro-am final - with an epic conclusion involving the "2nd worst time-out ever" allowing Tom B to go to defence and save a shot to win (but not as bad as Mark's double timeout on the same rod at Oxford) and 13yo Matthew Warr then scoring the final 2 goals to give him and Tom B a 5-4 victory in the last game.
- Darren and Matthew Warr beating the Darraghs in open doubles - Matthew in particular was impressive here, picking up a good snake defence very quickly that proved the difference in the match.
- Tense novice matches that always seemed to go to sweatball
- Coming 2nd in OS and OD, winning every match apart from losing to Tom B 4 times... gah. And of my 4 OS finals I've had to win an earlier match from match ball down every time (this time against Mike).

Once again thanks to everyone who ran this and I'd definitely come again.
Last edited by ybbun on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jozefi

Post by Jozefi » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:58 pm

Hello everyone

The tournament management was good, really great location.
Unfortunately, very few players came to Darlington. but .....

I did not understand why it has not been rewarded for carrying out the podium finishers. Can not think of the money, but some small reward or medals, but that you're the first, second and third place. I went to the competition, and the road was 270 miles, but had no tangible memories out the podium results.
So regardless of the number of people, I missed the first three places in remuneration. because not knowing in advance that will be 20 players or 100
So I finished second place in pro doubles prize nothing, I told ok :(,but I finished in pro singles on first place-prize Same nothing:(. I was pretty sad that the first did not even get anything.

I had Roberto sports ball. The ball was NOT in game. I can prove it just I did some practice. I do not understand why the slander

Boris, Tom, thanks for the doubles game, and I regret that I did not really go in the game. Have not played since February, making it difficult to play effectively.

I'm sorry if I told a lot of bad, but I wrote down my remarks.

cheers

Jozsef Tari

Bundy Volume 1

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:01 pm

Jozefi wrote:I had Roberto sports ball. The ball was NOT in game. I can prove it just I did some practice. I do not understand why the slander
My comments weren't directed at you. Someone else used them in proper games.

Jozefi

Post by Jozefi » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:09 pm

Evertonian wrote:
Jozefi wrote:I had Roberto sports ball. The ball was NOT in game. I can prove it just I did some practice. I do not understand why the slander
My comments weren't directed at you. Someone else used them in proper games.

Was only 1 ball on the spot and I was there I did not give anyone

Jonathan May
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jonathan May » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:14 pm

Evertonian wrote:The only other downer was an incident of cheating. This was a player who kept swapping the Garlando balls for Robertos (or something similar) that were a lot grippier . They did this against players who couldn't tell the difference before the ball was in play, even after they were told they could not use the Roberto balls.....several times. This benefited them and disadvantaged the people they played. This was a great shame to see. I wont name the person, and I only hope that they see this and realise the error of their ways and do not make the same mistakes in the future.
Joe - looks like you did a good job. Sorry I couldn't make it.

The incident above is not OK. At all. Was it dealt with at the event using disciplinary procedures?

I am very concerned about this kind of behaviour with Fireball because the ball used is going to be a contentious issue, no doubt. I would appreciate knowing who deliberately and repeatedly cheated.

From a personal viewpoint, I would want anyone doing this to receive a ban. That is up to the disciplinary commission though. If someone were discovered doing it at the Fireball event they would be disqualified from everything.
--
Manager, TeamGB.

Bundy Volume 1

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:28 pm

Jon May wrote:Joe - looks like you did a good job. Sorry I couldn't make it.

The incident above is not OK. At all. Was it dealt with at the event using disciplinary procedures?

I am very concerned about this kind of behaviour with Fireball because the ball used is going to be a contentious issue, no doubt. I would appreciate knowing who deliberately and repeatedly cheated.

From a personal viewpoint, I would want anyone doing this to receive a ban. That is up to the disciplinary commission though. If someone were discovered doing it at the Fireball event they would be disqualified from everything.
At the packing up stage I found several non-garlando balls that were not brought in by myself or Martin. So someone else brought them in besides Jozsef for practice (who I do not at all suspect of using or provide the balls for tournament play)

Unfortunately this was only discovered to be happening at the very end of their games at the tournament, so there was nothing that could be done in terms or barring them from entry. It is very disappointing that this may have been going on against novice players who though disadvantaged, would not know enough to call this as foul play. I had hoped that the message of the tournaments purpose to promote the game to the new scene of Darlington had been understood by all. This being the case it is particularly disappointing. I have witnesses to the incident when it was brought to my attention, so should disciplinary action be an option post event then we will be doing so.
Though I will stress that I do not want this to be aired too publicly and to at all take away from what was an excellent event comprised of a top quality group of people.

(P.S looks as if a group of Darlington players have caught the tournament bug and are hoping to make it to the fireball tournament)

Rob Atha

Post by Rob Atha » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:33 pm

Shame that player!!

Thanks for the tournament, I only could make the sunday for OD, thanks to tom for partnering me and good job to Martin L who has lots of up and coming players interested in the game. Keep up the good work.
Rob

MikkyX

Post by MikkyX » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:02 pm

Forgot to mention in my earlier post that we only have a Jaques table in our office for practice - it's 4 years old (and looks like it) and the difference after a weekend on the Garlandos..... it's like playing on bleeding astroturf! Dave and I couldn't actually finish a first to 9 friendly tonight on it, it just felt so, so awful in comparison! :lol:

We've GOT to get a Garlando at work now!

Once again, thank you to everyone who turned up, local or otherwise. I had a great time and I can't wait to do this again. I'm in Blackpool for a four day weekend at the end of this month and it has occurred to me that Manchester is only an hour's drive away...... FIREBALL!

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:21 pm

Wow, thanks for everyone's positive comments and suggestions for improvement.

Next year will be much better - I'd like to do this annually in the summer
Martin Landers
Secretary - Darlington Table Football Club

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:48 am

I agree with most of the positives people mentioned above and enjoyed the weekend a lot. Organisation-wise things went well although given the low attendance this was pretty inevitable.

I'm very glad the local players seemed to have a good time, it'd be great to see some of the Darlington guys and gals in Manchester in a few weeks.

Personally I was a little disappointed with how I did, I matched my seeding in OS and OD but had opportunities to do better which I failed to take, losing against Boris in each despite taking games in both :(.

2nd in Pro-Am with Joe was my best result, we did fairly well throughout including a good comeback against Greg and Marta in the semifinal. In the final I made the 2nd-worst timeout call of all time - I had the ball on my 3 with a shot to win, shooting against Matthew Warr. I took a timeout, which says something for how quickly this lad had picked up tournament-style play and defending because against pretty much any other novice I would have had the confidence to just go for the shot and probably slammed it into the back of the net. Of course I'd forgotten that the timeout would let Tommy B go to the back, Joe took the shot and it was blocked and ultimately we lost (with MWarr scoring the last two goals)...

It was a dramatic finale and naturally the locals were rooting for Matthew to win so I take some consolation in that it was what the crowd wanted to see.

I'd like to echo above comments regarding Boris' IPod (so long as the shuffle doesn't bring up any of his own stuff :P) and Brendan's quiz, which provided much hilarity on Saturday night post-curry, although our team (or at least Mike Amsden) were probably taking it a little too seriously...
OUTFC Secretary

atomic tortoise

Post by atomic tortoise » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:38 pm

Last edited by atomic tortoise on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.