UK Masters 2010, Tornado Pro-Tour, 23rd-25 July

Tournament announcements + Results + Match Reports
Zaku

Re: UK Masters 2010, Tornado Pro-Tour, 23rd-25 July

Post by Zaku » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:48 am

Funny that people are complaining about the price
well it's not about complaining it's about looking for why the turnout is not as good as we all would like to see.

I remember tournaments 4 years ago with big number of players and I wonder what happened?

Mase

Post by Mase » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:26 pm

Zaku wrote: I remember tournaments 4 years ago with big number of players and I wonder what happened?
Its not just four years ago, the were 88 people over the weekend at the Major in 2009 and there were 96 at the HTOII in 2008. Thats just Tornado. Jon May had 125 people at his Garlando event. I guess the secret is having a M at the start of your surname or perhaps.........People have re evaluated what they want to do with their time and money and foos atm is not top of the list.

We need to discover what to do to get that re evaluated so that foos is up there again.

Mase

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:32 pm

All the potential prize money goes into the BFA table scheme. We used to get huge turnouts at Warwick (3 consecutive 130+) using locally sourced tables - unfortunately and understandably very few people are in the position we were in being able and willing to go to the lengths to source them.

This is also relevant in the other thread going on at the moment: Simple fact is tournaments need more money in them for people to attend. Paying £40+ in entrance fees getting top 3 results in your events and only breaking even isnt on. This is a big reason why people have lost their enthusiasm for tournaments and turn up less often now.

So what can be done? The BFA can't do anything about the transport costs for the tables. Maybe the BFA should reconsider how much it sucks out of the tournament prize money pool to cover the cost of the table scheme? Taking a hit in revenue for the next few tournaments could be better for the long term prospects of the game.

At the moment the table scheme is just grinding things to a halt.

Gilles

Post by Gilles » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:42 pm

I think people should come to play, just because they love to play.
Otherwise, I would not come to the UK this week-end!
It's not my table (second tournement ever on tornado next week)
It's not my type of game (tic tac, pull shot... not for me)
It costs me a lot of money (travel, hotel, tournment fee) (a lot more then for a lot of UK guys)
And there is even no competition for semi-pro, which means I can only play OS and OD (+ 2 or 3 minor events)

Anyway, I don't care, I come just for the fun, hoping it will be as funny as last year in Bristol (thanx Mase)

See you on friday (I'll arrive late thursday night, around midnight)

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:26 pm

Wonder if it would be useful after the tournament is over to have a "why I didn't go" thread, strictly for constructive purposes to aid future organisers. Btw, I don't think falling tourney player numbers are unique to Tornado.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

davez

Post by davez » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:37 pm

Martyn, Hi. I just had exactly the same thought as you, as I was walking home. I mentally composed what I thought might be an appropriate poll question, which was "If this had been a Garlando tournament instead of a Tornado tournament, would you have been more or less likely to attend?".
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

Oatsey

Post by Oatsey » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:21 pm

In my view it has nothing to do with it being Tornado, the next few garlando events will be the same. As far as i know there are no events even scheduled for any table except fireball.

Definitely the recession has had an impact on the affordability and priority of attendiing events for many people. Given Steve's valid points about the increased cost due to the table scheme you have adouble whammy.

There are also othe reasons such as far too much focus on ITSF and top players and not enough on semi pro/ams etc making things more serious and less fun too i suspect for many people.

It would be interesting to hear peoples views as Martyn says who has the right open question to ask.

Mase

Post by Mase » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:01 am

It has nothing to do with it being Tornado, the last 5-6 Garlando events have not exactly had high turnouts.

Warwick had 60 odd.
There was about 45-50 at Swansea and Nuneaton.
Keele was goodish but take out the Keele players and Bath players the majority of which go to very few events and it is not much better than the above.

This is not a criticism but people have to realise what people want in that time 2 organisers have put on 3 events with attendance of 85, 96 and 125.

Give them what they want!

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:33 pm

Due to a problem with table delivery, only the bases were delivered today. As a consequence all events scheduled for this evening are cancelled. Delivery of the tops has been arranged for early tomorrow morning so the remainder of the events this weekend should be held on time as stated in the tournament programme.

Oatsey

Post by Oatsey » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:06 pm

Apparently Tony spredeman is there and beat Rob in OS!

Rob Davey

Post by Rob Davey » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:19 pm

Apparently he is and if true - what a great marketing opportunity missed!!!!

I think anyone running an event would prefer to know a world class player was attending rather than have it as a surprise on the day?????????????

Rob

PADDY.

Post by PADDY. » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:50 pm

Was Frank Drayton there?