Warwick Open 2010 Afterglow

Tournament announcements + Results + Match Reports
richmarsh

Warwick Open 2010 Afterglow

Post by richmarsh » Sun May 09, 2010 8:18 pm

Got back at a reasonable hour so I'll kick this one off.

Strange tournament for me. I played well on the Friday night and Saturday morning, then had a complete body malfunction and felt horrible until Sunday / now. Only really played near my best in a handful of matches which was disappointing, but overall still enjoyed it.

Many thanks to all the Warwick guys and helpers (Chris, Colin, Nik, Tom etc) for running the tournament well. Thanks to Dave Z for partnering me in PD, you played solidly throughout. Thanks to Teeb for playing with me in OD, even though that was a bit of a fail. Thanks to Chris again for letting me stop at yours, and my apologies for stealing your bed on Saturday night.

Highs
- Having a few very good matches, notably the epic comeback against Bobby moss.
- Friday night drinking and curry.
- Ideal venue.
- Cheap entry.
- Fireball tables.

Lows
- Feeling like crap for the best part of two days.
- Missing skool dayz :(
- Pro Singles. By this point I really wanted to go home and sleep, so my game got progressively worse with each group match.
- Getting hit in the head with a ball while playing 2brb drinking games.

Ombudsman

Re: Warwick Open 2010 Afterglow

Post by Ombudsman » Sun May 09, 2010 9:53 pm

Hi everyone...

I really enjoyed this tournament, especially as it might be my last for some time here in the UK, even if I think I will come back to the UK for a tournament one day. I like the community here very much, hope to see you all again some time. It was a pleasure to meet so many people again, although I would have wished that more Warwick students (not from the society) would have entered some events.

Highs:

- Getting Martin to enter the DYP
- Having large groups in the DYP, which was especially good for new players, as two games out really feels terrible when you go to your first tournament, Martin found that very good as well.
- Playing with Simon in the DYP, with fighting through the group stage (maniac defence *g*) and then seeing him find his 3-bar back and scoring almost 100 % in the K.O.-games, therefore winning against very good teams. Thanks for drawing me and giving me my first 1st place foos medal :)
- Attending the best organised tournament I ever attended.
- Playing with Ankush, the 2 or three games we played good together were really fun, think the best was against Tom and Steve. Sorry for not showing my best side...
- The fireballs!!! I love that table. The ball goes where it is intended to go and does not roll like a gauged egg. You can play precisely what you want and if it doesn´t work you know it´s your fault, and alone yours. Sorry, Mr. Garlando, but this is just a load of ... not so good stuff... with your table. And: BANKSHOTS. yeah, of course, my pullpin from the back is not effective if you just place your men in the middle of the field and that´s it. But when you have to be beware of banks from two sides then, yeah, it´s a bit different and than you can´t just camp in the middle. Suddenly there are gaps :). And yeah, you don´t have to think of every movement in the goal because the table might suddenly turn upside down or shake like a jackhammer, you can just defend as fast as you want. Why shall I not be allowed to move fast in the goal, I mean somehow I have to compensate my bad response time :D
- getting to play with very nice balls :D ok that sounds bad... hm. I like the balls I got to see at this tournament a lot better than that at Liverpool. hm. still bad. I can show you two different balls and then tell you which one I like more, maybe you´ll understand then *g* sorry if that´s not funny at all, I´m german, that´s just normal.
- Location was obviously very nice :)
- I generally liked that I had some games, even though I played bad, so that was good about the group stages... nevertheless, I don´t like one game to seven too much, I would prefer best-of-three-rounds, although I understand that this is a question of time.Double-K.O. is fun when you play good, as it was with Tom in Liverpool, but if you play bad or just have bad draw luck, it´s nice to have still played some games.

Lows:

- Having already on Friday a very mixed game, then getting even worse over Saturday and Sunday. It know that I don´t have a 5-bar, but then even losing all the other bars was bad. It was Open-Goal Day :/ I realised once more, that I can forget to enter any event if I´m just a bit tired.
- Little practice in the last 2 months and no practice in the last 4 weeks... although I have my own table here...
- I am not so sad about my single games, but I am sorry for letting Ankush down, although we did ok in AD. Nevertheless, then losing the game for 3rd place 8-9, with 8-6 in front and I had a ball on the 3-bar.
- My headache today. The screen hurts my eyes ^^ I´m glad it just showed up after the events.
- Being so tired all the time. Think it´s the consequence of writing essays for 9 days and nights non-stop. Dammit, vulcano!
- The Garlando... Never liked the table too much but it´s getting worse... I think the Tornado Event ruined me as I saw that there is so much more fun with other tables..., Come on, a 30kg table with banks but without bankshots and somehow built to prevent the ball from rolling straight ? I´ve never seen someone playing billard with a walking stick and uneven balls on a pasting table.

PADDY.

Post by PADDY. » Sun May 09, 2010 10:33 pm

A really well run tournament and a great venue.

Big thank you to Scott Walding & Brendan Darragh

It was great to catch up with a lot of people again.

Highs – Doubles Games / Win or lose it did not matter it was a lot of fun
Lows – Singles Games / David Blunket could have played better than me (this was not fun)

Highs - Clown Foos (Very funny games/banter all weekend)
Lows - Clown Foos (Shame we never won any of them)

Highs - Bobby Moss
Lows - Bobby Moss's patented wrench shots AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

Highs - Teeb & Rich in Open Doubles
Lows - Watching Teeb leave the building

Highs - Playing Grzegorz Zakowski & Stanislav Burlakov
Lows - Always losing to Grzegorz Zakowski & Stanislav Burlakov.

Highs – Sunday dinner
Lows – Queuing in Costa Coffee

Great weekend,

Lots of Fun

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Mon May 10, 2010 9:39 am

I just want to add my thanks to the organisers too, what a sweet way to spend a Sunday. Well run tournament, excellent and centrally located venue with superb facilities (japanese chicken teriyaki recommended) and of course catching up with old friends. Oh, and the foos.

Thanks to Stan for filling in for me in PD when Paul Martin had to pull out last minute (get well soon matey).

Thanks to my OD partner Dave Ziemann, I never felt we'd ever lose a SE match at all, but the 5-4, 5-4, 5-4 loss in the OD quarters vs Steve & Simon put paid to that. Deciding winning sweatball goals in the first 2 games was slop, Steve afterwards very generously admitting to that. Tough to take, but that happens. Great game guys, thanks.

Clown foos brightened the day, what a pair of charlies !

Only played on Sunday but heard nothing but nice stuff about the entire weekend, well done again to the team for putting on this event.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

Teeb

Post by Teeb » Mon May 10, 2010 10:48 am

Good tournament, thanks to the organisers.

I guess I experienced both sides to SE. It certainly was more exciting than DE. I was surprised to win OS, I didn't really expect to, it had been a while since I've done anything much in singles. I was less surprised to do badly in doubles.
PADDY. wrote:Lows - Watching Teeb leave the building
Paddy,

Well played to you and Scott in our doubles match. I'm not going to make any excuses, you just simply scored when it mattered most. I left the building because I was out of all events and wanted to make the most of my Sunday afternoon (which I ended up not doing, I just went back to bed). Please don't think I was storming out disrespectfully.

I'm not going to complain about any of the running of the tournament because it was very good but I would reccommend that the organisers use (perhaps Boris') prepared prize fund breakdown in future. Winning OS was only £10 more than coming 2nd, this is very unusual, and, in this case, disadvantaged me :(

I hope there will be a Warwick Open next year!

Tom

PADDY.

Post by PADDY. » Mon May 10, 2010 12:54 pm

Teeb wrote:
PADDY. wrote:Lows - Watching Teeb leave the building
Paddy,
Please don't think I was storming out disrespectfully.
Tom
I don't think that at all,

Just having a bit of fun (See my other remarks)

El Capitan

Post by El Capitan » Mon May 10, 2010 1:53 pm

Many thanks to all the (incredibly well dressed) organisers, desk monkeys and table movers.

Highs:
The return of ClownFoos.
PD and SPD silver medals.
Micromachines 64. Let's race dem cars... and SNES Bom-Ber Man.
The Dr Oetker diet.
Playing against:
  • Luka Schwarzenegger (drugs test pls) / Greg Walletlostski,
    Paddy D / Scott / Alina / Brendan... It's just like any other Friday.
    Dan K / Colin "David Cameron" Fallon / Tall Nubbert / Chris "always chipper" Lyall
    Dave "John May"gan / Mayya,
    Dave Zee / Emo Marsh / Martyn Harris / Stan "Madman" Beardakov / Graham Addison
    etc etc etc
Oh, and Warwick quiz machines basically giving out cash.
Garlando Speed-Eggs. Yeah, brilliant.

Lows:
El Cap doesn't do Lows.
Ok - one low. WWF No Mercy 64
Ok - one more low. All the food I ate from the CostCutter.

Quote of the event:
Clownfoos vs Paddy and Scott. We're one game up, score is 4-4 in the second, Paddy had just scored and was keen to celebrate.
Paddy D "John, don't ignore me, I'm not going anywhere"
Me, placing the ball on Dave's midfield... "You're going home after this one"

ClownFoos will return........

PADDY.

Post by PADDY. » Mon May 10, 2010 2:12 pm

El Capitan wrote:
Quote of the event:
Clownfoos vs Paddy and Scott. We're one game up, score is 4-4 in the second, Paddy had just scored and was keen to celebrate.
Paddy D "John, don't ignore me, I'm not going anywhere"
Me, placing the ball on Dave's midfield... "You're going home after this one"

ClownFoos will return........
I couldn't play that last ball I was laughing so much I had tears in my eyes.

A truly fantastic game with hilarious results! :lol:

Mase

Post by Mase » Mon May 10, 2010 6:45 pm

Enjoyed coming for the one day, nice open venue. I love the formats of groups and SE. Means you can relax into the event with groups and hit the KO hard.

OD - Mossy and I played really well after a slow start in first game and had an excellent result beating Shovie and Dave 7-3. Lost first round of the KO to CLyall and Fallon went to Sweaty in the 5th, was a good game, high standard and very tense.

PD - Finished 4th. Good to play with you again Simon. Had a great game in quarters to beat Marsh and Zee 5-2, 5-2.

Good event, only consideration for future would be if it was sunny all the time the room would get very hot and the glare off the rods might be a concern.

Thanks Chris and Warwickites.

Mase

DaveC

Post by DaveC » Mon May 10, 2010 6:52 pm

Great tournament, well done everyone involved. It was great to see old friends again after such a long tournament hiatus.

High - ClownFoos
High - Everything else
Low - None

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Tue May 11, 2010 10:39 am

Good tournament, well done to Warwickfoos, especially Chris, for putting the whole thing together and keeping it running so smoothly. Thanks to Greg and Pete for partnering me and for Colin and Nik for putting me up for two nights and providing much appreciated coffee and toast.

Highs

- winning SPD with Greg, first time I've won SPD playing up front. We played together at Liverpool and were awful, didn't even make it out of the group stages but more than made up for it on Saturday. We both played well throughout and only the final against the clowns was close.
- cheap entry fees
- doing well in OS and OD groups (coming 2nd and 1st respectively in groups of 6)
- antics of Dave Carter and John "which one's my shandy?" Worthington (my mum is still fat. Twice :P)

Lows

- crashing out in the first knock-out round of both open events and PD
- being rubbish in PS (especially a 7-1 pasting at the hands of Sarah Brice :roll:)
OUTFC Secretary

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Tue May 11, 2010 1:53 pm

DaveC wrote:Great tournament, well done everyone involved. It was great to see old friends again after such a long tournament hiatus.

High - ClownFoos
High - Everything else
Low - None
Promotion at long last couldn't have done your mood any harm eh Dave?

monkey

Post by monkey » Tue May 11, 2010 10:09 pm

Thanks to CLyall, TWillets, CFallon, NDoran and everybody else involved in organising this.

Highs
Nice spacious central venue - completely changed from a few years ago.
Cashpoints and food only a few metres from the tables.
The organisation of everything - Chris clearly put a lot of effort into this, and it showed. Groups + SE format means everything runs on time, and you mostly get more games than DE.
Having lunch breaks. It's pretty much unheard of before, but knowing you have 2 hours to go get some lunch was very welcome.
Skool Dayz. That got out of hand far too quickly.
Wristy McTwisty. I think I may have overdone it a little.
Beating Shovo. Turned out to be my only knockout win of the weekend.
My new lightning fast 1 in 100 rollerball shot.
Low entry fees.

Lows
I don't recognise my old union any more.
Getting Clownfoosed more than once. I fell into their trap of playing like an idiot. Tall Nubbert got affected even worse, shooting a leg wrench in a serious game.
Missing the DYP again coz of the trains. In the end I probably had a better time playing drinking 2brb though so can't complain.
Winning our OD group only to draw Shovie/Morgan in the first knockout round and losing that 8-6 in the fifth.
Results - my results on Sunday are normally bad and this was no exception. I felt more and more tired/ill as the day went on and it showed. My bad Nubbert Jnr #1, let you down a bit there. On the plus side I got to leave at a reasonable time.

Looking forward to the next one.

ybbun

Post by ybbun » Tue May 11, 2010 11:01 pm

Thanks to the Warwick guys for putting on a great event.

Highs
A Warwick event again after 3 years, get in.
Great venue - lots of spectators, food nearby, spacious.
Good organisation (Clyall not playing on Saturday to help run the tournament = dedication to the max)
Quite a few new players, including 5 juniors.
Rollerball - it gets my approval.
Mark winning pro singles and briefly reclaiming Nubbert pride against Dave Morgan.

Lows
Only playing 8 games all weekend, despite not playing particularly badly.
The organisers did well with the medals, formats and winner announcements for juniors and novices, but more people need to take an interest in their matches or they won't come back.
The timing of matches on the hour was an interesting idea but I don't think it worked - it wasn't followed strictly and left lots of downtime which could have been used to fit in more events.

Rytis Mitkus

Post by Rytis Mitkus » Wed May 12, 2010 10:59 am

sad that i missed this one. it looks like this was very good tournament. but... WTB results

Bren

Post by Bren » Wed May 12, 2010 7:48 pm

Highs
- Well organised, many thanks to all the organisers
- Good venue
- Most events on or near enough on time
- Mr Worthington's excellent hospitality you don't get free Puzzle Bubble and "In the oven forever chips" at premier Inn!
- Winning a knockout game in OS to claim a ridiculously high finishing position given that Luke Sampson had a shot to beat me in the group stage that would probably have seen me finish bottom on goal difference.
- Escaping from the groups in 4th place at least 3 times (2 of which were incredibly lucky goal difference and forfeited games involved)
Playing really quite well (for me) in all the first round knockouts (only won one though)
- Seeing Mr Burdett eventually drop back to defend my 2 bar from the back in the third game of our OS match (i'm claiming this as a small victory especially as I lost the match 3 games to 0)
- Two really good games singles against Lukasz Bicki, thouroughly enjoyed them even though I lost both.

Lows
- Losing to Alina :cry: first time we have had to play eachother since we played eachother twice in our very first tournament (Warwick 2006). I lucked both those matches so fair enough that she burried me with a sweat ball hack.
- Failing to qualify from the only group where I actually played well.

General notes:
- I agree that the hourly match starts in open events were an interesting idea and I think are ultimately a good plan in some circumstances, having witnessed them work well at the world cup I think they suit very large events with lots of tables and relatively few events but I think at UK tournaments where there are relatively few tables (compared to the world cup) and lots of events (compared to the world cup) it didn't quite work.
- Large groups with plenty qualifying is definately a massive plus. Groups of 4 with 2 qualifying has often been effectively short format DE with a bonus game if you lose the first 2. The larger groups took the pressure off a little and allowed for (in my opinion) higher quality group games (probably to my detriment as filth is my main shot! but I still think it was good). That said I did feel almost like I was cheating getting through with 2 wins out of 5. Or in OD 1 win out of 4 or 5 on a three way goal difference tie break.

And finally massive thanks to Paddy Dunleavy for Pro Doubles, Worthington for hospitality, Carter for DYP, and of course Alina.......for beating me :cry:

Nub

Post by Nub » Thu May 13, 2010 12:50 pm

Fantastic tournament!

Highs:
-Pro singles
-Winning OS, OD and PS groups :D
-Pro singles
-Having time to get food
-Leaving nice and early
-Very dedicated organisers
-Pro singles
-Pro singles

Lows:
-Playing well in OD but getting pwnt by SE (and group-sandbagging)
-Filth, I feel genuinely bad, sry clyall

Happyham

Post by Happyham » Thu May 13, 2010 3:06 pm

Alex Shovelton: Always the bridesmaid, never the winner of a table football tournament.
I hated every minute of training, but I said "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."

Please subscribe/comment/support my blog at http://happyham1986.blogspot.com/

shovie

Post by shovie » Thu May 13, 2010 4:59 pm

Ahem, Fireball Elite Singles Champion I'll have you know...

PADDY.

Post by PADDY. » Thu May 13, 2010 5:55 pm

Does anyone have the results?