Warwick Open 2010

Tournament announcements + Results + Match Reports
Christopher Lyall
BFA Regional Rep - South West

Warwick Open 2010

Post by Christopher Lyall » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:09 pm

I am delighted to announce that it is now possible to register for this event in advance via the online registration form. Please click the link below to access this form and follow the instructions. Pre-registering early for this event will help the organisers plan and will cause less hassle for you on the day, so please remember to do so if you are planning on attending!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----> Warwick Open 2010 Registration Form <----
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Individual Event Entry Fees

The DYP is £5 if that is all you are entering, but free otherwise.
JS and JD are £3 each or both for £5 unless you are entering something else (not including DYP) in which case they are free.
Senior and Women's events are £3 each or both for £5.

For the other events the cost is simply the number of events you are entering, as given in the following table:

Rank - Cost of 1 Event - Cost of 2 Events - Cost of 3 Events - Cost of 4 Events - Cost of 5 Events

Junior AND Novice - 0 - 5 - 10 - 15 - 15
Junior OR Novice - 5 - 10 - 15 - 20 - 20
Amateur - 10 - 15 - 20 - 25 - 25
Semi-Pro - 10 - 15 - 20 - 25 - 25
Pro - 10 - 20 - 25 - 25
PM - 15 - 25

Venue Address and Directions: See here.

Attention Students: Free Accommodation

I personally know how expensive it can be to travel to a tournament as a student, and how cutting costs is often made wherever one can. As such, we at Warwick are very happy to announce that we will be able to provide some free accommodation for visiting students playing at this tournament! We are not able to offer much more than floorspace, but we should be able to fit about 20 students looking for a cheap alternative at Warwick students' homes either on campus, in Coventry or in Leamington, all a short bus ride from the venue.

If you would like to take advantage of this offer for yourself or for other students as well then please get in touch with me (you can click here to send me a personal message on Britfoos which I shall reply to promptly).

Accommodation and Parking

The first thing to note is that Car Parking at the University of Warwick is free after 6pm on Friday and all through the weekend, allowing those driving to park on campus during the day.

As the University of Warwick is a campus university then as you would expect visitor accommodation close to the grounds is in short supply. Most students at Warwick live in either Coventry or Leamington Spa, and as such most of the hotels and B&Bs are there, however there are some very good ones in a nearby small town called Kenilworth as well. It is to these three places that I recommend you go. The choice should be based on whether you intend to drive in every day or not. If you do not intend to drive to campus every day then my recommendation is catching the bus. This will be one of three buses:

National Express 12 - Goes from Warwick University to Coventry Bus Station regularly. This is the bus you should catch if you intend to stay in Coventry.

National Express 12 (again, but a different route) - Goes from Warwick University to Leamington Spa via Kenilworth. This is the bus you should catch if you intend to stay in Kenilworth.

Unibus U1 - Goes from Warwick University to Leamington Spa. This is the bus you should catch if you intend to stay in Leamington Spa.

All of these buses run regularly and late into the night except for on Sunday where you should obviously check the bus timetable in advance. I would recommend using Google to search for the timetables.

My personal number one recommendation for both drivers and non-drivers at this tournament would be to stay at this hotel:

Village Hotel, Coventry
Coventry Business Park
Dolomite Ave, Coventry, West Midlands CV5
024 7671 9000
http://www.village-hotels.co.uk

If you book now you can get a twin room for two nights for a total of £98. This hotel is one of the closest to the venue, is directly on the 12 bus route heading to Coventry and is large and spacious.

Failing that I would then recommend this one:

Holiday Inn, Kenilworth
212 Abbey End
Kenilworth
CV8 1ED
http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/ ... oteldetail?

Again a short drive from campus and on the second number 12 bus route listed. With this hotel it is definitely better value to sleep double rather than single.

If you really don't care where you sleep, or have left booking to the last minute and are looking for anything that's available then I suggest you browse here where there are plenty of options:

http://www.bedandbreakfastsguide.com/b- ... y--28.aspx

ENQUIRIES: Email c.a.lyall@warwick.ac.uk for more information.

Pre-register for this event by clicking here.
Last edited by Christopher Lyall on Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:10 pm, edited 11 times in total.
www.fivebar.co.uk - Foosball Tournaments, Leagues, Shop

Rytis Mitkus

Re: Warwick Open 2010

Post by Rytis Mitkus » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:18 pm

uuuu.... interesting

PADDY.

Post by PADDY. » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:16 pm

Fantastic News!

Happyham

Post by Happyham » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:17 am

Rytis is banned. This is a 'ban the pull or pin or anything that Lithuanians shoot' tournament. Sorry.

Where on earth is semi pro singles?! If I was semi pro, I would be kinda pissed that I had to play pro singles and get bummed by a whole loada pro's that are likely to turn up.

Other than that. If it runs like the previous warwick tournaments run by Harry ' Lord Jesus Christ ' Cummings then it will be as smooth as eggs.
I hated every minute of training, but I said "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."

Please subscribe/comment/support my blog at http://happyham1986.blogspot.com/

CannonBallGuy

Post by CannonBallGuy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:33 am

Happyham wrote:Where on earth is semi pro singles?! If I was semi pro, I would be kinda Bloop that I had to play pro singles and get bummed by a whole loada pro's that are likely to turn up.
I'm a bit bummed about the lack of Novice Singles.
Doubt I'll be going though, dissertation is due a couple weeks later.

Rytis Mitkus

Post by Rytis Mitkus » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:00 am

Happyham wrote:Rytis is banned. This is a 'ban the pull or pin or anything that Lithuanians shoot' tournament. Sorry.

anyway its like just a 2 or 3 weeks after tecball worlds, so doubt about coming.

PADDY.

Post by PADDY. » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:46 am

Happyham wrote: Where on earth is semi pro singles?! If I was semi pro, I would be kinda Bloop that I had to play pro singles and get bummed by a whole loada pro's that are likely to turn up.

Good point Joe,
Hopefully an oversight.......

Christopher Lyall

Post by Christopher Lyall » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:35 pm

I'll see what I can do...

queen_of_foos

Post by queen_of_foos » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:09 pm

Can we make SPS on Sunday if it's added in? :)
Won't be able to make Saturday - it's wedding season!

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:45 pm

Where on earth is 2 ball al volo handicap singles roto (yes, it can work)?!?! I'm totally Bloop and I KNOW a lot of other people will be too.

If it is added in can we make it when Saturn lines up with Mercury because that's when I best perform with my magic star dust.

Thank you!

Christopher Lyall

Post by Christopher Lyall » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:51 pm

I am seriously considering, and welcome, all the requests for events and scheduling, but please accept that not everything is possible.

Chris

Edit: More details included in first post.
Last edited by Christopher Lyall on Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Rob Davey

Post by Rob Davey » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:54 pm

You forgot 'muncher'

Cheers

Reece

davez

Post by davez » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:07 pm

Impressed with the clarity.
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:16 pm

Package deals look great value - do they include table fees?

To be honest I think Semi-Pro players get a pretty good deal at most tournaments, whereas Pros get a pretty lousy deal at a lot of tournaments. Even if there was just PD and PS (no SPS) I don't think SPs could really complain. I'm definitely coming to this - hopefully will get a fair few others from Oxford along too.
OUTFC Secretary

Christopher Lyall

Post by Christopher Lyall » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:06 am

Graeme wrote:Package deals look great value - do they include table fees?

To be honest I think Semi-Pro players get a pretty good deal at most tournaments, whereas Pros get a pretty lousy deal at a lot of tournaments. Even if there was just PD and PS (no SPS) I don't think SPs could really complain. I'm definitely coming to this - hopefully will get a fair few others from Oxford along too.
Hi Graeme,

Yes package deals do include table fees. I am very happy that you are definitely coming to this and look forward to seeing you. My intention is that this tournament be attractive to students, so your comments are quite encouraging.

Chris x

CannonBallGuy

Post by CannonBallGuy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:59 am

caféaulait wrote:
Graeme wrote:Package deals look great value - do they include table fees?

Hi Graeme,

Yes package deals do include table fees. I am very happy that you are definitely coming to this and look forward to seeing you. My intention is that this tournament be attractive to students, so your comments are quite encouraging.

Chris x
Definitely _very_ attractive, except the date.
This comes about a week before I hand in my dissertation - ie, when I will be starting it.
Don't know if that is just my course though.

Mac

Willy

Post by Willy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:03 pm

I personally don't see the need for SPS as semi-pro's already have 1 more event than pros and amateurs for the same price.

PADDY.

Post by PADDY. » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:53 pm

I would like to see who the top SPS players are at this May tourny.

Whatever happens this looks likea great value for money weekend.

cheers Chris

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:07 pm

Look at the OS results then Paddy.

Christopher Lyall

Post by Christopher Lyall » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:09 pm

I'm going to Altrincham this weekend so I'll add more details to the first post after I get back. Sorry to only tell you half a story! Hope to see some of you over the weekend.

Chris x