The Bristol Major Afterglow

Tournament announcements + Results + Match Reports
leaks

Re: The Bristol Major Afterglow

Post by leaks » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:41 pm

Great tournie - in general well run, finished at a reasonable hour (i.e. before the stroke of midnight) each day and everything ran on time as far as I could tell. I think the reason it did run on time is because of Mase - don't want to inflate his already unusually large head, but he is very good at calling matches/getting people off tables and keeping the thing running which makes a massive difference. There's a certain level of bluntness/rudeness which is required I think, and most people are probably too polite to say some of the stuff that Mase would happily shout over the microphone, but it's exactly that level of telling people to get off tables or get on with their matches that is important to smooth running at a tournament like this. It does mean you get less pickup games in between matches, but it also means you finish playing at a sensible time. Well done Mase!
Cheers to all the others who helped as well (Shovo and Joe, et al) - was a good tournie and you all contributed to making it so!

Highs:
- Doing pretty well in no pro comps, two 2nd places - shoulda won them (especially singles) but hey ho, one wrong decision and you can throw the thing away!
- Playing some sweet doubs with Han - she managed to put away a goal or two every game, plus some great passes, really took the pressure off me! Thanks :)
- Late night pok, plonker, bollox hehe
- Vicki getting curry menus when the chefs refused to cook any more on saturday night, resulting in a delicious Indian banquet!
- Playing Rob and Ryan in various matches - a good experience, reminds me that I should really practise more!
- groups and SE - SE just makes the knockout rounds much more exciting IMO (as long as there's ok formats for the group stages). It definitely made me fight a lot harder because I knew it was all or nothing in every match, no safety net.

Lows:
- Being so inconsistent on the 3 again - annoyingly I was getting tons of possession (5 worked well in most matches) but at times my %age on the 3 was embarassing!
- Not making it to bollox bollox nob once.
- Rich knocking himself out of NPD and putting me through by winning a match! I was pleased for myself to qualify, but felt bad for him! Wish we'd both gone through dude!
- Race to 5 - no no, please no! Even race to 7 would make it more bearable. I know there were a lot of events, but that is a seriously bad format and basically meant that a couple of skanks against you in the first game of your group could put you out of the comp straight away!

Anyway, overall an awesome tournie, thoroughly enjoyed it - cheers everyone involved :)

Shovo

Post by Shovo » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:27 pm

Boris wrote:Also, please note from the BFA Policy Doc 10 (Tournament Ranking Criteria)
Rule A4 (Results)
(a) Results for ITSF tournaments must be submitted to the BFA within 24 hours
Mase is on the committee, so the BFA does have the results :P

Jody
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jody » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:38 pm

Overall an enjoyable tournament for me although not really any notable results.

Highs
-Great to see lots of international players at a UK tournament.
-Hanging out in the Irish lodge till early hours playing foos with Damo, Sharon, Ryan, Des & Bobby. Pretty amazing getting to play so much foos against and with Ryan.
-Some great pick up games and also some fun real games which were played knowing i couldn't qualify so the result didn't really matter, not a snake shot in sight and still managed to win some of them.
-WD with Mayya against Louise and Ola, well played girls. We won in the 1st round then had to be double dipped in the final. We had a few chances to win in the 3rd game when we were leading 4-2 at one point but just couldn't finish it and it didn't really happen for us in the 2nd dip. Very enjoyable games though and for once i enjoyed playing in defence when we swapped and scored and saved more than i expected.
-Watching some of the OS & OD finals.

Lows
-WS format
-Table 11
-Race to 5, i'd also have preferred to have had 1 semi-pro event instead of 2 and played a better format.
-As usual my game being pretty inconsistent and by Sunday my hands, wrist and elbow all aching after playing so much.

Jody

Mase

Post by Mase » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:21 pm

I'd like to thank everyone who came for doing so was a fantastic event. I am writing this from my account rather than that of UKFP as these thanks are from me.

My first thanks must go out to John Shovelton for all the pre tournament administration and the sterling job he did with entry fees and registration. Simply a god send and a fantastic bloke to boot. (sucks at 2brb tho :wink: ) Along with John i must also thank Vicki, her constant support, keeping me up beat, fed and watered means that i too can enjoy my tournaments not just survive them.

I'd like to thank table helpers. Steve Lyall, Joe Bundy, Rich Potts, Graeme Addisson and Rich Marsh.

I'd like to thank the desk helpers these were plentiful, rather than forget anyones name i'd like to thank you all, you were a major part to the success of this tournament.

Hi's
-The large turnout on the Friday
-Watching High quality matches all weekend.
-Seeing 20+overseas players at the tournament.
-ROB ATHA showing why he is in the top 3 in the World. In all the years i have been on the scene i have never seen him play so well even in Vegas last year.
-OD with Dave Bareham, i was awful in the first game and carried on my usual "great at home, sh1te at a tournament" game from the first two days. However i ended up on table 2 for my next OD match. Table 2 was along way from the desk and i had no distractions, was relaxed and could barely hear the mic. All of a sudden i started to pass and score. Dave and I never looked back. We won 3 one the bounce including a difficult game against Hannah and Oli. We then faced Joe and Blazic in 9th or better. I think Dave and I did well here. 5-4 in the first and 5-2 in the second. It was a good run and gave me the assurance ive needed for 12 months that i can do it at an event and not just my house or the pub. Carried this on to SPS where I finished 5th, should have finished at least one higher but my lack of ability to block skank let me down.
-Generally fantastic company the whole weekend through.
-Reasonable accommodation and a cheap price.

Lows
-The poor turnout from UK players disgusted me. Players in this country moan and winge at all times about everything. They have an excellent Tornado evet put on for them and no one can be bothered to travel. Lets hope these same people do not moan for more events in the future.

Regarding formats, i agree with much of what is said. People have to really think what the majority want and its events. People want to have a chance to warm up and do well going two and out in SPS and OS might not be enough foos for them.

SO...

I am currently working on a new format, i think it has the makings of excellence to please all. I have run the friday through sport and will do the sat and sun over the next week or so when i have time.

Regards

UKFP....oops....Mase

Damo

Post by Damo » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:18 pm

well done mase

I certainly think Ryan Moores presence energised the event and by Rob Athas own admission raised his game to a level he normally has to reach in the USA.

The Irish are certainly back on the Euro Foos Map

Norm & louise have been flying the Irish flag in the US for a while now.

Ryan asked me to extend his best wishes to all prior to his departure home yesterday and remarked how proud he was to wear the Irish shirt in the finals with Des & Sharon given that he is quarter Irish himself.

Hopefully we can host an ITSF ranking tourny here in Ireland next year.

Time is short I will post in more detail at a later date

Well done to Des Norm Louise Sharon Brian and Dave for sterling performances and I am happy with my own efforts (well Nearly)

Special mentions and gratitude to Dave Oates Scott Walding and Jody

Regards

Damo
Peace & Love in the GHETTO

jhk

Post by jhk » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:51 am

UK Foosball Promotions wrote:Full results will be posted tomorrow.
No results yet?

Tomolo

Post by Tomolo » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:27 am

Hey just wondering if anyone has any news about the upcoming competition the Xmos guys mentioned at the tournament?

Congrats for winning the last one mase.

davez

Post by davez » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:12 pm

Assorted memorabilia....

* A heartfelt thank you to Mase & Vicki and Joe Bundy and Shovo and Dave Oates all the table helpers and other people who worked so hard to give us this tournament

* Beating Ryan in FSO but still not qualifying in my group because I lost to Dave Lawlor

* Cath & I taking a game off Ryan and Des in OD

* Beating Andreas Tkautz 9-4 in Pro Singles with 5-bar shots

* Losing to Andreas Esterbauer 7-9 in Pro Singles with 5-bar shots

* Cath & I beating Teeb & Marte and Joe & Natasha to top out our Mixed group, but then getting KOd by Rob & Ola. SE is rather brutal.

* Vicki's back & neck massages made a huge difference to player wellbeing - what a great idea - thank you so much Vicki!

* Coming 2nd in Pro Doubles with Louise Herring, no idea how we didn't win

* Not playing a final in Pro Doubles and being told we were 2nd

* Losing to Jet in final of Senior Singles (normally fancy my chances against him but he played very well)

* Winning Senior Doubles with Jet, OK there were only 3 teams….

* The prize medals were very heavy and great quality

* Coming 3rd as the highest placed Brit in Pro Singles

* Wondering when was the last time we had two Irish players in an OD final? Rhys could probably tell us…

* Realising that smoking is a significant cause of tournament delay, and its shocking disproportionate prevalence in the women players

* SE is good for media or public events, but completely wrong when you want a more accurate result, e.g for UKC POY purposes

* Losing to Tom Nubbert in 1st round of OS and then hanging on in until I met an on-form Mike Amsden to come 17th

* Dreadful catering staff with no concept of service or even rudimentary politeness to customers

* Cooked breakfasts...yum
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

ybbun

Post by ybbun » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:35 am

Highlights:
- Great to see lots of international players
- Really enjoyed partnering Chris Lyall and Dave Bareham in the doubles events - the intention was to do some swapping, but they both defended so well and I was playing so well up front that we stayed in the same positions the whole time. Finished 1st in pro doubles and 7th in open doubles - both good results, especially for doubles on tornado, not usually my strong point... Cheers guys.
- Clyall's intense battle with Blazic on sweatball in OD, saving 8 snakes in a row
- Winning pro doubles with a 3-1 record, where the others in the group ended up 2-2, 2-2, 2-2 and 1-3. The crucial match was ours against the 1-3 team (the Europeans) which we won with a midfield hack on sweatball - if we'd lost it, the whole group would have finished on 2-2.
- 7th in OD and 13th in OS giving no prize money in a strong field. Sucks to be a pro.
- Overall it was a well run event in a good venue - thanks Mase and everyone else who helped.

jhk

Post by jhk » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:25 pm

Obv awesome tournament. One of the best I have attended. Huge thanks to Mase, Vicki, Shovo, Shovie, Bundy, Dave Oates and all other helpers. I have to admit, Mase really runs a tournament smoothly and rudely on time, so well done Mase.
SE makes it more tense/exciting and, particularly, there is less delay/waiting around to be put off by, so I'm all for it. However, if we are gonna do SE instead of DE, then I think we should at least ensure formats of reasonable length, e.g. first to 5 best of 3 games.
Anyway, the venue was great - it was hot at times, but I thought it was generally fine. Looking forward to another tournament there. Food/drinks were fine I think - except if they can put a little bit more in their burgers other than just bread and meat.
Obv it was a very successful weekend for me :wink: I wish I could have stayed for the Sunday, but work was calling.

Personal highlights:

- Probably my best moment of the weekend: the Pro-Am final. We came back from 4-0 down against Ryan Moore & Damian Glavin to win on sweatball! Jon played brilliantly at the back, making crucial saves and scoring that awesome pull-kick. I was really pleased with my 5-bar, which both blocked and passed through Ryan quite well, and 100% snaking on the 3 was good too. We made a great team Jon!
- 13th OS in such a strong field. Very pleased with that. I mean, I don't play Tornado ever. Had some great games on the way against Norm, Clyall, etc and skanked Mase lol. I think I was the highest placed Amateur = free OS/OD entries next UKFP tournament, woohoo!
- 1st in NPD. Standard. Had some close matches where it could have gone either way against Graeme & TomC, Simmo & Mayya and Hannah & Oli. I think I was passing and shooting well throughout, and Nubsy defended awesomely - well played mate and well done on your AS victory too.
- Best OS final I've ever seen with my own eyes. Well done Rob. And I'm sure the OD was awesome too. Well done Rob & Norm. I really wanna get my hands on the videos of these matches.
- Great to see many promising Amateurs/Novices improving fast and pulling up excellent performances! The likes of Tom Curtis, Luke Sampson, Rich Potts, Graeme Addison, Nubbert MCR/JCR comes to my mind. Keep up the good work guys.
- Runner-up in the XMOS Competition. Thank you XMOS. And well done Mase for winning it.
- Oh and great medals by XMOS.
2BRB: Hannah & Shovo are 8-7 up against Jee & Nubsy, and has just scored one and holds the other ball in play.
Shovo (to Oli): "The question is, shall we be gay?"
Hannah: "..."
Then Shovo OGs it off the opponent's back wall. Priceless.
Looking forward to the next one!

smokinhack

Post by smokinhack » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:22 pm

Really good tournie, thanks to all who were involved.

Good to see players come over from abroad to provide some more varied competition, especially people like Ryan who was great to watch/play against/generally hang out with. Best of luck at the worlds.

Doubles was great fun:

Mase - We didn't have the best start by any stretch of the imagination, but played pretty well thereafter. You played your natural, relaxed game and hey, it worked! Good playing with you. Maybe next time you'll have the vocal cords to shout a bit louder after scoring.

Rob Davey - Great fun as always to partner you. We did alright in the end! Great pushkicking by you/banking by me on the big points lol, sweet!

Nubbert - I don't think I've ever laughed so much on a foos table as watching you score the most ridiculous angles, hacks etc. God knows how we endied up winning that event, but hey high 5! Great fun.

Rob Atha - We play flawless tennis. Our serve was imperious, you know we just get in the zone and feel invincible, and we're only 28 years old (lol listened to way too many Federer interviews!). Hey, was fun pplaying with you, great to see you bring out the flair game, was awesome! Congrats at winning OS & OD mate. Great finals!

Hutdawg - Good to see you again mate. Awesome play in the group stages (3 goals conceded lol). Pity bout the knockout, we both kinda dried up. Oh well, maybe another time mate.

Singles - sucked lol. Couldn't hack properly for some reason = screwed.

All in all, was good fun.

STORMIN NORM

Post by STORMIN NORM » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:08 pm

Very well run tournament, great job Mase and all the crew who worked behind the desk, and to the people who
set up and broke down the tables, you do not go unnoticed.
It is also nice to have some good quality Tornados to play on at a tourny, cheers Foos4Fun!

*I would say the food was GASH indeed!
*I did manage to miss all 3 breakfasts, and i only heard good reports for that .
*The woman behind the food counter(Computer says Noooo)
Overall, Great Tournament location, nice close rooms, good tables,weird locals and good turn out.

A good show of international players as well, De Irish, zee Germans, zee Austrians, one or two Polish and a couple of Icelanders I believe.
It was also cool hanging out with Damo on the Sunday night, never really got to know the guy until then. Its always nice to have another player
so enthusiastic and passionate about he game.
Ryan Moore flying the flag for the U.S. gets a special mention, that singles final was certainly the best foosball match ever played in the U.K.
Ryan made Rob search deep for his "A" game, and both players must be proud of how they displayed the game.
Its a shame there had to be a loser, but Rob, that was World Class!
My singles game never even left the cabin with me on Saturday, but I got to meet some nice players with the few games I did have.
It was nice to put a face to the names I know.
As for the Doubles, well the final is all a bit blurry to be honest.
All I know is we where 2-0 down in games and 3-0 down in the third,time out is called, I looked over to see Lou & Ola playing there Womans final
and time in is called, there is a load of blocking and a gammy goal or two from me and we are still in!
Rob I remember towards the end, took 13-15 secs on every shot and went as deep and long as possible to Finally win it For us.
Ohh and if there is any amateur out there who wants to learn a 5 bar, just look at Ryan Moores 5. Its the simplest and the tightest uphill and downhill I have ever seen.
Thanks to everyone involved, it was a fun weekend!
Cheers,
Norm.

Finally I wanted to mention, $ days before we left for Bristol we got word a very close friend of ours was taken to hospital with terminal cancer.
Many of you may know him and some of you have played both with him and against him.
This nearly made me not go to Bristol, but with some encouragement and thinking about it I decided to go and try and forget about things for the weekend.
I can only say he was in the back of my head all weekend.
I just want to sign off with Dedicating my Open Doubles win To .............Dermot Costello 49yrs
who passed away Yesterday, with his family and close friends by his side.
I'll miss you my Friend!
Norm.

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:30 pm

Dermot Costello appreciation split to Irish Foosball Scene, as requested by Norm.

potts

Post by potts » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:35 pm

any idea when the new rankings will be in?

cbalife

Post by cbalife » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:56 pm

potts wrote:any idea when the new rankings will be in?
After Tulln probably?

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:05 pm

potts wrote:any idea when the new rankings will be in?
I've been away and sick with swine flu, the results 'arrived' just before I went away, so as soon as I get a few hours spare I'll update the lot (as of 1st August).

Boz

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:22 pm

Rankings are updated but don't have time to list now.

Promotions & Relegations (Tornado unless stated)

Ziemann PM
Bareham PM
Shovelton J PM
Harris Pro
Deakin Pro
Yeung Pro
Moss Pro
Haddon (SP) - relegated
Kim JH SP
Nubbert T SP
Potts SP
Nubbert M SP
Bowers SP
Lawlor SP Am (Gar/Bon)
Sampson Am
Fogarty Am
Marcek Am
Glavin Am

cbalife

Post by cbalife » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:39 pm

ughhhhh still novice

Damo

Post by Damo » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:33 pm

hi boris

how does one get promoted from novice to amateur in their first tournament.
what is the criteria and how does it work,

Damian
Peace & Love in the GHETTO

jhk

Post by jhk » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:44 am

Hey Damian,

You get points allocated depending upon your performance at a tournament, and when it accumulates past a certain threshold, you get promoted ranks. So as a novice, you begin at 900 and you become an amateur at 950, semi-pro at 1200, pro at 1800 and pro-master at 2400. At the Major, I think your successful performance in Pro-Am and Handicapped with Ryan Moore contributed a large amount of points to elevate you past 950 points, so that you have become amateur. The ranking system works as explained in this document:

http://www.britfoos.com/Community/Chart ... sDec07.pdf

Hope that helps,

Jee.