The Bristol Major Afterglow

Tournament announcements + Results + Match Reports
Tomolo

The Bristol Major Afterglow

Post by Tomolo » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:09 am

May as well kick this one off.

For me this was one of my most enjoyed tournaments considering it's one of my worst performances, results wise, in a while.
Big Kudos to Mase for running it extremely well and to everyone else that was involved in the running of it.
I really liked the venue again and it was nice to be back to finish the season where I first started back in November.

Highs
Being back playing with all of you in general, I really look forward to every tournament.
Attempting to learn a few new shots and pulling them off a few times.
Coming 2nd in Amateur Doubles with Simon, sure we had an easy enough route to the final but we put in a good amount of practice before the tournament which paid off.
My reflexes not failing me too much, made some good saves which I was chuffed with.
Actually asking people questions about why they do things differently, and the over all techniques behind it, has deffos given me a lot to think on and improve for the next tournament. For all the noobs out there REALLY don't be afraid to ask questions to any foozer. Everyone is really helpful and friendly to talk to and usually would go out of their way to show you on a table what they mean as an example. So thanks to everyone who answered a good few of my beginner questions, it has helped.
Passing the time playing cards was extremely fun, I made a whopping £1.70 after going all in on my last hand losing to Ryan.
Mase thinking I was 16.
Anchorman quotes.
Rekindling my love for tornado.
Currently winning against Brice 1 all in games, 3-2 to me - ha!

Lows.
2 and out in both singles and doubles (open)
Not qualifying in what started off as a really promising Handicap Doubles by beating the German Pros 7-4
My dink failing at times when I really shoulda scored. Kept hitting the wall!
Not getting drawn against a few people I always like playing against, my own fault for not playing better really as I'd have been in more games ha!
Waking up late on the Sunday, sorry about that Graeham.
Failing magnificently on Sunday.
Thinking Mac and Jason had left without me hahaha, thanks for the ride to the station guys.
Getting knocked out in the first round of knockouts in Amateur Singles.
They didn't sell Red Bull????????????????????
£1.25 for a plate of chips, then £4.50 for 2 sausage and a smaller portion of chips. Is meat really that expensive?

I'm sure there's more I'm missing, but overall I did really enjoy the weekend away.
See you all at the next one.

Phil Williams

Re: The Bristol Major Afterglow

Post by Phil Williams » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:19 am

I thought this was a great tournament. Well organised and it seemed to run smoothly.
Well done Mase.

Christopher Lyall
BFA Regional Rep - South West

Post by Christopher Lyall » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:12 am

Obv great tournament. More like it please!

Highs
Watching the Ryan V Rob OS final. Definitely the best game of table football I have ever seen in England since I started playing. We are all so lucky Ryan made the trip. His snake and pullshot are both so intense.
Winning SPD. I really liked the trophies too. Not a bad prize fund for it either.
Had fun playing with Mase, Nubbert, Rich and Simon. Really enjoyed the games against Joe and Michael and against Rob and Dave in particular. Fun game against Alex in OS as well. Great fun pickup with Jody too. Thanks guys.
Mase putting so much effort into this. Truly a job well done. Congratulations man. Shovo too.
10 good (great) tables rather than just 6.
Federer winning Wimbledon.

Even at a tournament this awesome there are always some slight lows though...

Lows
PM Elitism was at its worst at this tourney. It was ridiculous how many times Mase had to drag certain people away from poker or even just out of bed to play their games.
Conversely there was also a 'let's call everything novice and amateur on table 11' attitude.
The restaurant's new chef meaning the curry was off the menu.
www.fivebar.co.uk - Foosball Tournaments, Leagues, Shop

CannonBallGuy

Post by CannonBallGuy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:13 am

As above, I really enjoyed the tournament. Very well run, so thanks to everyone involved.
Considering Jason had never seen a Tornado before and I had barely played on one, I think we did well to win the few games that we did. :)
Now we both want a Tornado. My Garlando seems like crap in comparison.

Highs:
Accomodation was good, food nice despite the cost.
Loads of playing space - nice to not be cramped all the time.
Foos 101 with Chris Lyall and tips from various others - Thanks!
25 minute game in first round of NS knockout.
Oli teaching me rules in Handicap :mrgreen:
Hooked on Tornado.
OS Final.
One of the Nubbert bros. thinking Jason was 12.
Final 2BRB game. Sorry Bundy! :P

Lows:
Table 11.
No 3 bar.
No 5 bar.
"Sunday Roast All Day" -> Not at 3:59 because they stop serving at 4:00.
Hooked on Tornado.
Only 2 games in 2BRB - one with Jason who I partnered in everything else.

All in all, a great weekend. Thanks.

cbalife

Post by cbalife » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:16 am

I decided to go to this tournament without really playing too much Tornado at Keele (though I think I was one of the few people used to how table 11 played ha) and I really enjoyed it a lot. Funnily enough once I got used to it (Sunday basically) I think I played better then I ever could on Garlando, but I just lose my head in so many ways, mainly getting drunk too early (saturday basically).

Highs:
Sunday!
Playing Luke in beginners singles, really great match dude your pull shot completely had be flailing haha.
Playing Matt in beginners singles, you just wouldn't let me score would you? :P
Observing people making chicken sounds
Bar-staff were nice, I punched over my pint somehow (dont ask) and he gave me a new one and even said he'd clean it up when I offered.
It was all run very well and had a good atmosphere!

Lows:
Saturday!
Not enough Keele people :(
Getting drunk on saturday and getting knocked out of NPS in the space of 10 minutes or so haha.
Being a Bloop and not hearing my calls for AS
Underarm bruises
Not bringing a pillow and using a shoe instead
The drive back
Not seeing people for a while now :(
Not getting third in beginners singles, I didn't have the heart to play at first then once I got annoyed I scored 3 goals then lost my enthusiasm again. Ah well.
Last edited by cbalife on Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oatsey

Post by Oatsey » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:01 pm

Knowing just how much time and effort goes into running these events and making them happen Just want to second a well done to Mase for running a good un!

*mayya*

Post by *mayya* » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Great tournament - Mase managed to run so many events smoothly, and was always there to help and answer questions, which was truly amazing. And John/Joe and everyone else helping out. Was also great to have such a big mix of international players - Ryan gave us a mini tutorial session which was cool :). Happy with Womens and that I qualified for OS at the UKC (I think). Otherwise, lost a few close games, that was disappointing.

On a separate note, I hate the formats - I know it seems that the UK tournaments are turning into groups/SE, but it so isn't the right way to go (I think). I'd have prefered to have fewer events with more proper games. The justification for the Groups/SE format seems to be first so things run on time - but fewer events would do that - and second so people have more games - but I ended up having 2-3 races to 5, ie filth for 3 minutes after spending 3 minutes wrapping up, and losing out on qualifying on goal difference. So me being crap or not, just isn't as satisfying, and hope future tournaments have more than the open events as DE.

jinxsi

Post by jinxsi » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:20 pm

This was a fab tournament, the organization stood out a mile so well done Mase. The venue is great and its really good to have so much space around each table.

It was a case of business as usual for me: brain disengages during singles, no 5 bar, no 3 bar but manage to raise my game for doubles. Obv coming runner up in the amateur doubles was the high point and I appreciate were in the easier side of the draw.

It was great to see Ryan Moore and the open singles final was epic. It really was great to see people again and I was disappointed to miss Sunday.

I hope this becomes an annual event.

some pics:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/album ... 1128675672
Last edited by jinxsi on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gilles

Post by Gilles » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:39 pm

This was already put on another thread but I think this place is beter

Hi everybody,

Thanks to Ben and all his mate for this nice organisation. I had a very nice week-end and I will come back (I will train a little bit if I find a Tornado tablen ear my house).
I will try to get some friends from Belgium over the channel, because I am sure they will like it (nice and fair players, good game, fun :lol: , bier :drinking: ).

HIGH:
I was happy to see that the level in the UK is not as low some people (UK people) pretend and I saw an amazing final between Rob and Ryan.

I was happy to play with Cath, Chris and Scott, even I had to leave early and stop HD because I had to take the shuttle
(I mist it, I was 15 minutes too late for the boarding and I had to wait 1 hour to take the next one)

LOW:
The food! :evil:
Not ok ... Expensive ... (however the people from the restaurant were very gentil and nice)

Have a nice week, folks

PS: Federer is the Best !!!

Gilles

Private messageE-mail GillesMSNM/WLM

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:56 pm

Massive thanks to Mase for running this tournament, I thought it was awesome. Also for putting me and Rich up on Sunday night, very much appreciated.

Highs

- 2nd in FSO... not sure where this came from, admittedly I seemed to be ridiculously lucky with the draw, having so many good players ending up in the other side with Ryan but I'm still really pleased with how I played. Absolutely bricked some pretty good push/pull shooters along the way, if only my snake defence was as good. Playing Ryan in the final was fun but realising how incredibly easy to read/race/bait/generally rinse my snake shot is was quite scary :(.

- Doing well in Amateur events, winning AD and coming second in AS. In the past I've always messed up ranked events on Tornado and I'm glad I managed to do better this time.

- Incredibly high standard of play, best OS and OD finals I've ever seen. Was great to see Rob and Ryan battling it out in two really intense matches.

- Meeting loads of the Irish guys, really glad you came over because I don't like only knowing people through their forum posts, it's seldom an accurate reflection of what they're really like. Also had a couple of fun pick up games with some of the guys from mainland Europe.

Lows

- Doing badly in basically everything except AD, AS and FSO. Given I don't play Tornado except at tournaments at the moment I suppose I can't expect much in the way of consistency.

- Very top-heavy field meaning I got quite harsh OS and OD draws

- Too much time spent on trains or trying to sleep on a floor
OUTFC Secretary

Rob Atha

Post by Rob Atha » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:13 am

Thanks to mase and the organisers for a very good tournament.

Thanks to all my partners. Norman you played awesome through all the event, you blocked everyone well and in the final you saved my ass a few times. Great playing.

Dave B in handicapped, it was fun, we served well, i think we only had 1 double fault and perhaps 2 net calls. lol.

Thanks to those supporting me during the final of OS, was a great match to be part of and the cheering helped me get even more motivated. It was great to have ryan over here for a tournament, he brought out my best game which doesn't normally happen in england.

Was good to see this tournament attracting soo many international players. Well done mase.

Well done to all the winners!!! especially Ola/Louise for coming back in WD plus Mayya in WS.

Thanks

Rob

The Doctor
BFA Chairman

Post by The Doctor » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:24 am

Who won OS?

UK Foosball Promotions

Post by UK Foosball Promotions » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:13 am

UKFP will post a larger post later on.

But for now.

OS
1. Rob Atha
2. Ryan Moore
3. Alex Shovelton

OD
1. Rob Atha and Norm Cloney
2. Ryan Moore and Des O'Rourke

Full results will be posted tomorrow.

Regards

UKFP
Tour Dates for 2008/09 Season:

20th - 22nd February - TOUR KICK OFF - Altrincham
1st - 3rd May - SPRING TIME CLASSIC - Holywell, Hinckley
3rd - 5th July - THE MAJOR - Warren's Holiday Village, Nr Bristol.

The Doctor
BFA Chairman

Post by The Doctor » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:59 am

Thanks!

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:07 pm

1st off, I want to thank Mase for his efforts in putting this tournament together.
Also thanks to Steve, Rich (P+M), Graeme, Sarah and Shovo for their efforts. And of course to Vicky for her services.

I really enjoyed this event. Played well at points, poorly at others, but overall felt I have improved on tornado (disparagingly few and far between tornado tournaments these days are annoying, as a side note). Was good enough to come away with an overall positive feeling, and that of continued optimism. Which is always good. Had a series of very nice things said about my push shot too, from great players, which is always good. Maybe I might get the message through my thick skull and stick with it/work on it this time....
Along with all the winners, I must give out a massive congrats to Rob for his open finals performances. Double dipping Ryan both times was huge, made even more impressive by how he played - another level stuff against Ryan who hardly put a foot wrong. Of course you have to say well done to Norm for how he played in the OD final too. Well done guys - was great to see such high quality play in the UK.
Fun times throughout too, fri and sat nights were great.

There were lessons to be learnt from this tournament though. Player feed-back is extremely important - and though everyone really appreciated the efforts that went into putting this great tournament together, listening to the people will only improve future tournaments.
I am actually a fan of groups and SE, but that's because it just seems to largely work out for me. However, I don't think this was done in the best way this weekend. I would have rather seen only a sp/np event with a longer game format that 1st to 5, and bigger groups. We had loads of entrants, so bigger groups with more going through would have been feasible, and taken less time overall.

Though it may not be my place to - I will also bring up with issues brought forward by the female players over their WS event. No one really liked the format, and it did seem a bit dismissive towards them, so seemed that it wasn't the best thing to push forward with the groups SE. Women's is a core event, even if it's niche in terms of the numbers involved, thus scheduling of events should be worked around it, rather than vice versa. Particularly in a Masters series event.

Also, did have an interesting (well...maybe...for some) conversation with Dave Z. The scheduling for Sunday evening meant that the pro's were in all events (latter stages of OD, HD, PS and WD final). This meant that at one point, we had only 3 games being played - long games at that - which held up everything else. We had 8 free tables, and loads of players sat around doing nothing, not the best. Dave proposed what should be seen as obvious. We should take a serious look at events, and see how players of each rank have faired in them in the past. This should be taken into account when scheduling a tournament. The effect of players holding up multiple events can be lessened. Of course common sense can, and has been, used to have the same results. Might be worth looking into though, it could only help future tournaments run smoothly.

Just thought I'd say my piece. Wanted to end with the fact that this was a good tournament, largely enjoyed, and I very much hope UKFP run many more events in the future.

Joe.

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:19 pm

Evertonian wrote:We had loads of entrants, so bigger groups with more going through would have been feasible, and taken less time overall.
Yes I would like bigger groups as well but the problem is that the number of games that have to be played does increase a lot.

E.g. for an event with 24 entrants, running four groups of six means 60 games as opposed to 36 for six groups of four, which is a big difference.
OUTFC Secretary

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:38 pm

Graeme wrote:E.g. for an event with 24 entrants, running four groups of six means 60 games as opposed to 36 for six groups of four, which is a big difference.
I know, hence I said to have only a SPS or a NPS. Thus 60 games, not 72. One 'proper' event is better than 2 short format ones imo.

Also
CannonBallGuy wrote:Final 2BRB game. Sorry Bundy! :P
What? Was pretty drunk by that point, but didn't I (Shovo) just fist you? lol.

CannonBallGuy

Post by CannonBallGuy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:03 pm

Evertonian wrote:Also
CannonBallGuy wrote:Final 2BRB game. Sorry Bundy! :P
What? Was pretty drunk by that point, but didn't I (Shovo) just fist you? lol.
Oh, you won alright. But I was managing to block your "fierce" 2-bar shots 95% of the time. If only I knew how! :roll:

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:27 pm

At ITSF tournaments, all ITSF events (Open, Womens, Junior and Senior) are of equal weight and should always have the same (longest practicable) formats. They are all of greater weight than 'divisional' (semi-pro etc) events, so if there are problems with scheduling or conflicts it is the divisional events which must compromise. It is unacceptable to have a short format for e.g. Womens events and if this happened at Bristol it must never be repeated in the future.

Also, please note from the BFA Policy Doc 10 (Tournament Ranking Criteria)
Rule A4 (Results)
(a) Results for ITSF tournaments must be submitted to the BFA within 24 hours

Note that ITSF have requested the results be input directly using FAST software, and have sent you (Mase) an e-mail explaining how.

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:24 pm

Evertonian wrote:
Graeme wrote:E.g. for an event with 24 entrants, running four groups of six means 60 games as opposed to 36 for six groups of four, which is a big difference.
I know, hence I said to have only a SPS or a NPS. Thus 60 games, not 72. One 'proper' event is better than 2 short format ones imo.
Ah sorry I didn't realise what you meant.
OUTFC Secretary