STUDENTS: National University Championship: CALL FOR OPINION

Tournament announcements + Results + Match Reports
Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:00 am

i have not read the replies, but my thoughts re the initial question:

- have experts / demonstrations.
- keep it simple. single elim, possibly extra plate/DYP events.
- goodie bags at the end.
- dont complicate/confuse message with non-foos stuff.
- transport is key. people will jump on a foos bus assuming priced in a competitive way and saves thinking about transport. clearly having national express helping would make a big difference, remember train is expensive.
- you need a finishing time that is say 6pm. and keep to it (tie transport in).

Richard

Jonathan may
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jonathan may » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:15 am

So... There seems to be general consensus on a lot of points and the proposal is with the sponsor now.

The only problem is it seems BOTH a late start time AND an early finish time are required.

With these suggestions the event looks like running 12-6.

No-one could run an event 12-6.

Nub

Post by Nub » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:37 am

Chuck Norris could.

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:06 pm

The alternative would be a venue with accommodation included (e.g. a holiday camp out of season) to allow a 2-dayer starting late on the Saturday and finishing early on the Sunday - having some fun/social events on Saturday Night.

Jonathan may
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jonathan may » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:36 pm

Boris wrote:The alternative would be a venue with accommodation included (e.g. a holiday camp out of season) to allow a 2-dayer starting late on the Saturday and finishing early on the Sunday - having some fun/social events on Saturday Night.
Not an option, been ruled out already.

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:56 pm

I think realistically you can stretch it to 11-8

jhk

Post by jhk » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:22 pm

And overrun it till 10 ;)
I'm sure, if students are willing to travel to Cambridge forto devote themselves to a table football tournament, they would be prepared to give up the whole day for it...

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:39 pm

To fit OS/OD and WS/WD into one day, having a groups plus SE (with plate) would seem to be a reasonable plan.  Have proviso that players can only enter one singles and one doubles event, to avoid conflicts.  Groups of 4-5 teams each, with short group stage (e.g. 1 game to 5), but with KO being 2/5 deuce (best of 3 to 5 goals, but with deuce rule operating in final game - win by 2 goals until 7-7 brings sweat ball).

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:52 pm

Its never going to be easy running a one day tournament to fit in with travel times. Just having a quick look at the train times from Cambridge to Liverpool, well they're hardly favorable -  anyone from up here will probably have to sort out some overnight accommodation if the finish time is anything over 6 - which of course it will have to be to fit all events in. I assume this situation will be similar for all the Northern universities.
Of course this assumes people will be traveling by train - most students i know don't own cars, but minibus hire is all ways a possibility.....just got to find someone who is willing to do all the driving.
So basically, just sort out sensible times, where you can fit everything in - and let those attending sort out how they are getting there/back etc.

Jonathan may
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jonathan may » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:00 pm

Looking like some travel will probably be arranged, either at cost or subsidized, so travel times shouldn't really constrain people.

Boris, I understand how to fit an event into those hours, but it becomes a rubbish tournament if you can only play in one or two short format events! The entire point is to increase turnout, we don't want to be dissuading people with rubbish formats.

At the moment I'm happy with running something that runs 12-10ish, with us laying on some at-cost or subsidized transport - so although you'll be back home late, you won't have to make it end in time to meet the restrictive train/bus times.

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:24 am

My first event was a Geoff Brice 4 (6 initially) table / 70 (?) person event. Everyone was there at 12 noon and it started at 2pm and would have finished at 8pm but for the DE that really slowed things down (11pm?). At the time i felt it should have finished at 8pm as i had had enough once i was knocked out.

My point is that if you plan for a long day then people will be less likely to turn up. I do think novices will travel for 6 good hours of foos.

Mogwai

Post by Mogwai » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:28 pm

Bigger group stages are better, more games for all involved. 8 per group and lots of short games (1-5). No need of long formats in the KOs either 1-9 SE or maybe 2/5 if there is time. Don't bother with the deuce rule. I know the ITSF are bringing it in but it doesn't work well for time pressured events.