3 Forgacs Edina Nemeth Patrik
4 Walker Donna Lyall Steve
5 Ziemann David Gerova Blagovesta
5 Thompson Jean-Philippe Serson-Zullino Fernanda

matty96
BFA Regional Rep - North

Re: East Anglia Open Results & Afterglow

Post by matty96 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:03 pm

Ok, let's get this afterglow thread started as I think Lee deserves to hear some feedback for his endeavours.

Firstly massive thanks to all the organisers and table crew. Without their efforts UK tournaments simply wouldn't happen. A lot of their work goes unnoticed but I'm sure the whole foos community is greatly appreciative of what they do and why they do it. So many thanks and well done for presenting such a smooth running event.

Secondly on to the man himself, Lee Trosclair. This guy is one of a kind and should be supported in anything he tries to achieve either in table football or for the youth culture in Great Yarmouth. The East Anglia Open was an absolute success and should be a regular event on the foosball calendar. The tournament was testament to Lee's vision, desire and hard work to firstly acquire "The Social" and then to bring the sport to his area. So many thanks from "The Darlo Massive", as he calls us, and keep floating on!

Playing highs -

1 - Winning Pro Doubles with Callum.
2 - Finishing 3rd in Open Doubles, beating Rob Atha & Norm to make it to the winner's bracket final where we went down 3-1 to Tony Spredeman & Damian Glavin. It's great to be finally mixing it with these guys.
3- Beating Rich Marsh in Open Singles in our first ever competitive game together.
4 - Almost beating Rob Atha in Open Singles. I had a point to win 3-0 and then 3 further match points in the fifth but just couldn't get over the line. You quickly learn that players of Rob's calibre don't go away.
5 - Seeing my old man finally do well in a tournament. A fantastic 5th place in OD playing with Paul Martin who was playing awesome all weekend. They nearly beat Benti & Vito for 4th or better but went down 6-4 in the fifth game after having lead 4-1.

Playing lows -

1 - None really apart from not getting to grips with Patrik Nemeth at all. Two singles and one doubles defeat by him over the two days.

Overall then, a great tournament in a unique venue with top quality opposition. What more do you need? Well worth the 10 hour round trip!
Let's make it happen again next year.

Matty.

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:22 pm

Anyone can run a tournament. There will always be help to those who actually go ahead and make the first steps to organising their own tournament. There were a few new guys at this one, from Cambridge & Leicester. That's how the bfa community was built; new guys coming along to tournaments, enjoying them, and coming back for more.
Now is the time to go make more tournaments happen. Lee was just keen to do something, others did the bulk of the actual tournament stuff. So if anyone reading this is keen too, go make the first steps. Have a plan of what you want a tournament to be, find a venue, and speak to those in the bfa who have done the tournament thing before. The national game in the UK has been dying for the past few years. The spark to get things going again isn't going to come from the bfa committee, it's going to come from the players. So it's up to all of us to make more tournaments happen. If you enjoyed the one last weekend, then now is the time to act and go make your own happen.

willhawkes
BFA General Secretary

Post by willhawkes » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:54 pm

When I was following UK foosball from afar, I used to really enjoy reading the Afterglow threads, with the advent of social media and the mostly-ghostly-silence of the Britfoos forum, they are few and far between, thanks for writing it up Matty. I didn't know you were 1 shot from beating Rob 3-0... wow. Well done to Darren too.

Joe, I echo what you say. We haven't said this in lights but we did discuss at this year's AGM, the BFA Committee are simply not in a position to organise tournaments any more, and yes we have to rely on the UK foosball community to stand up and get things doing - as this year Sarah and Lee both have done so well.

The direction to nudge people towards is that, over time, it's our clubs themselves which can aspire organise tournaments, whether local / regional, or national, and I will do what I can to help people get the information and resources which give them confidence to start to do it.

I am soon going to publish exactly who our club community are, and the club captains, so that we can start to get a dialogue going and agree together how we do it. So watch this space.

robmoss2k

Post by robmoss2k » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:25 am

The thing I've generally heard which stops most tournaments from happening is the lack of paid help to transport, put up and take down tables. There's scope for someone to start a little business doing this task if they own a decent sized van, and it would no doubt help to reinvigorate the national scene by making putting on a tournament as simple as finding a venue, advertising it and running it.

Bundy Volume 1

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:02 pm

robmoss2k wrote:The thing I've generally heard which stops most tournaments from happening is the lack of paid help to transport, put up and take down tables. There's scope for someone to start a little business doing this task if they own a decent sized van, and it would no doubt help to reinvigorate the national scene by making putting on a tournament as simple as finding a venue, advertising it and running it.
This is a pretty poor excuse in reality. There are always people who will help, you just need to treat them with a little more respect than some organisers have done in the past. I couldn't have asked more from the help I had the other weekend. Sarah, Greta, Fitz, Matt & Kata were just brilliant. But I'd spoken to them all well before hand, said I'd given them free/discount entry for helping, and showed some actual appreciation. Together, the set up and down was probably the quickest of any Garlando tournament I've been involved with. The weekend was enough effort and stressful enough as it was, no idea what I would have done without those wonderful people helping. But this is something that needs to be looked at before the tournament, and making part of the planning. Those who have really complained about the lack of help are those who haven't properly asked for it, and haven't really shown much appreciation. You can't just expect people to just be at a tournament early to help out without asking, and you can't just give a shout out on a Sunday asking for people to help and expect them to. And having enough money left over to maybe buy any helpers a pint after they've spent £50-£80 on entry fees for the tournament, that's just not good enough. I think it's a difficult argument to make that the tournament being £100-£200 better off in prize money is preferable to giving discounts so there actually being enough help to actually run the whole thing. Due to the lack of planning regarding the transport for Great Yarmouth I had to do the journey of Liverpool-London-Liverpool-Great Yarmouth in a 24 hour period, after I said from the very start it was unlikely I would be around. The national foosball scene in the UK used to be a much better community than it feels now, and I think part of this decline is due to some people forgetting that we are all just friends really. All anyone who wants to run a tournament needs to do is remember that so many people in this community are just wonderful, some of the best people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting in life. So involve them in tournament planning, treat them as the friends they are, and there will always be the help that you need to run a tournament.

That was all a bit disjointed I know, but hopefully my point comes across.

Also;
willhawkes wrote:the BFA Committee are simply not in a position to organise tournaments any more.
The BFA have never run tournaments, other than the UKC. But I feel that there is maybe an expectation that those on the committee will do something. We're at an all time low (at least in my 8 odd years around) for committee/tournament activity. That's not surprising; we're all older, with more responsibilities in life. The current committee probably has the oldest average age of any in my time. So there should be no blame if nothing is coming from there. But maybe it just needs to get across that there shouldn't be an expectation that they will 'do something'. If those in the community feel more that they can be proactive, maybe some will start to be.
Last edited by Bundy Volume 1 on Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willhawkes
BFA General Secretary

Post by willhawkes » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:26 pm

Joe this is an excellent post and quite inspiring.

I take your point that we haven't really communicated widely that people shouldn't expect the BFA Committee to do something, but instead we are here to facilitate if people want to take things into their own hands as you / Boris / Lee and Sarah have this year.

Would you mind if I publish an abridged version of this on the Facebook page at some point? It's up to 850 followers so the message will spread quite far and wide. I will share the text with you first via email.

robmoss2k

Post by robmoss2k » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:27 pm

Bundy Volume 1 wrote:I couldn't have asked more from the help I had the other weekend. Sarah, Greta, Fitz & Kata were just brilliant
Bundy Volume 1 wrote:Due to the lack of planning regarding the transport for Great Yarmouth I had to do the journey of Liverpool-London-Liverpool-Great Yarmouth in a 24 hour period, after I said from the very start it was unlikely I would be around
Bundy Volume 1 wrote:That was all a bit disjointed I know, but hopefully my point comes across
And herein lies the problem. You have your friends to whom you can turn to get the tables set up and taken down, but still had to drive for 750 miles taking probably 14 of 24 hours in order to get them there. It's an amateur sport run by amateurs for amateurs. A bit of corporate professionalism like I've seen elsewhere in Europe really wouldn't go amiss for the sake of perhaps £400-£500 per tournament. I know I'm not alone in saying "never again", and I've only been involved in organising a few tournaments rather than actually in charge.
Bundy Volume 1 wrote:The BFA have never run tournaments, other than the UKC
In my early days, the BFA effectively did run tournaments, because a great deal of tournaments were run exclusively by people on the committee, and decisions about the tournaments were frequently taken as committee business.

willhawkes
BFA General Secretary

Post by willhawkes » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:06 pm

We've talked before about whether a tournament organiser might just get some cheap local manual labour to help out with the setting up and take down rather than getting favours from friends, but in Joe's case he found a creative way round it by funding entries.

My view for the future is that if / when our clubs grow and develop, the tournaments can be put on by the clubs rather than by an individual. This means that you have a collective group working together to get things done - more pairs of hands, and more willing hands too. The tournaments I've been to on the continent usually are run underneath by a club, rather than the national federation themselves. But we don't have many / any clubs which are at that stage of maturity yet.

The BFA currently pays (on behalf of the organiser) the funds required by the ITSF- previously organisers were required to pay this one themselves. I can't remember how much they are - EUR300 ish? more for a Master Series than a Pro Tour - so that's effectively a little subsidy and support which the BFA provides to tournaments. We don't really have the money available to go over and above that, in the long term at least.

Bundy Volume 1

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:48 pm

robmoss2k wrote:[A bit of corporate professionalism like I've seen elsewhere in Europe really wouldn't go amiss for the sake of perhaps £400-£500 per tournament.
Yup - it wouldn't be that much more expensive than van hire to hire delivery guys. So I'm much in favour of people who want to put on a tournament doing this. Focusing on paying out as much money as possible is the wrong way to look at things right now. I think it would be much better, at this point in time, for our game to run cheap entry fee tournaments - knowing that a 40ish attendance would cover all costs - focusing on making a really well run event which would be fun for all rather than having as much prize money as possible. And I do mean fun for all, this includes the people who are helping to run it. I used to enjoy running tournaments back in the day - but it feels like that has been slowly beaten out of me over the years; by cost cutting and focusing on payouts/lack of organised help/last minute change of minds regarding finances (which were out of my hands). By far the best TO's I've worked with are Sarah, JP & Simon Jenkins (the first that come to mind, everyone has had their plus points!) because these are the guys who have really, and always, cared about everyone at the tournament - not just the players/pros/themselves etc. That's the best attitude to have - because it means the people who help them run a tournament will want to do it again. As Bobby says "I know I'm not alone in saying "never again"", and that's because the focus has too often been away from helping the guys that run the tournaments.

This isn't a difficult fix. It's super easy. It can all be done for the next tournament, by anyone here.

And yes, post anything I've said anywhere else. Or ask me some questions and I'll try to properly structure all of my above ramblings.

Bundy Volume 1

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:09 pm

willhawkes wrote:We've talked before about whether a tournament organiser might just get some cheap local manual labour to help out with the setting up and take down rather than getting favours from friends
Oh, and this is so very much the wrong way to look at things. Is the committee so distant from the community now that this was talked about? I think this is a real problem. It's the BFA community, and now more than ever we should be trying our best to strengthen that community. It was so easy for me to find help for GY from people I know and trust, and who know how to do the jobs needed. Let's try to involve the community, rather than look to hired outside help. The best way to encourage people to run their own tournaments is to get them involved in tournaments, and showing them first hand how important it is to our game.

willhawkes
BFA General Secretary

Post by willhawkes » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:52 am

Joe, when I say "we've talked about", what I mean by that is, when people have in the past said "we can't organise tournaments because no-one will help with the tables", I have always felt that there are ways around it . I agree with you *entirely*, it is so much better to have people from the community help out as you successfully did - but in the case where no-one will help lugging, setting up and taking down, then I (not we, not anyone else) have "well people could always find a couple of bods who'd help out with the manual work and pay them cash in hand for the hours".

Speaking as a BFA Committee member, yes In one way I am undoubtedly very distant from the UK foosball community in that I live in Korea so don't actually see or play with anyone right now - but on the other hand I am all over the online community - the forum, social media, email - as hopefully you know, to stay in touch with people.

In terms of finding out what the UK foosball community want, we've (I've) just run a club survey which had I think about 20 responses - you can see what we learned elsewhere on the forum. From that I will be doing a few things to better connect our club captains and to work with them to set some common themes for how a club is run - how to bring in and maintain a playing base, how to run local tournaments etc. Early next year I hope to run a similar survey for the entire UK foosball community, so we really get to hear what people want, and figure out what next can be done to help.

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:57 pm

Thank you to Lee, Joe, Boris, Greta and all the other helpers for creating and delivering the tournament. It's great that you guys decided to do this, I know how much work goes in and it really is a team effort, so thanks to all of you.

I personally had a good tournament and more importantly an enjoyable weekend. Some highs:

- finishing 3rd in OS. I had a tough route, playing an on-fire Matt Price, a nice Kuwaiti chap (sorry I can't remember your name), a mammoth game against Patrik Nemeth where I found myself 2-0 down in games (having lost both 5-4 5-4) and being 4-4 in the 3rd. Managed to save the match point, and then scored 9 of the next 10 goals before stumbling over the line. At that point I wasn't feeling very confident in my game (pull shot not working so snaking) so didn't have much belief I could beat Rob. First game against Rob I got very lucky, 4 of my goals were fortunate. Second game I also had the rub of the green but played well and put it away. Third game Rob started to find a bit more of his game to win it, and we had a pretty good 4th game which I managed to edge. It was weird because I didn't ever expect to win, even at match point, so didn't get nervous at all which obviously helped (along with the early match luck). So I had Tony in the winners final. Weird game. I won the first 5-4. He won the second 5-4. Must have taken 45 minutes. I was blocking well and taking chances when I could but just wasn't getting enough, his 5 bar D is another level. 3rd game I started passing better but then I lost the feeling in my pull shot, missed a lot of opportunities. In the end I ran out of steam and he played great and deserved to win. I then had to wait ages for Rob to beat everyone in the losers side before playing him again. He managed to nullify my 2 bar this time, played great and comfortably won 3-0 and then went on to beat Tony 6-1 in a great performance. Well played mate.

- 2nd in DYP with des o'rourke- we had some great matches and des was great, he always scored 2 or 3 from the back each game. In the final Tony obviously got lucky.

- 2nd in rollerball with Zee - obv cos he doesn't drink we smashed it, only losing to rob and benti doing gay passes

Lows

- 9th in OD - me and mprice started off slow, I played the worst I did all tournament against Kris and JP and Kris was on fire so they beat us 3-1. We then played Patrik and Edina in an epic game, winning 8-7 in the 3rd. We had started to play a bit better together and was feeling more confident. We then played Joe and Rich, I must have 100% the first game on every rod lol, then they played better and edged the 2nd game, then 3rd game we were 2-1 down, they fluke a couple of goals to make it 4-1 and I'm like for Bloop sake, I don't wanna lose to Bundy :p got back to 4-3 but then they filthed the winner. Well played guys ;)

This post was way longer than I intended so that's it for now. Thanks again to the organisers. Someone go organise another tournament please.

Steve

Matt Price
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Price » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:57 pm

I've seen this thread a little late but thought I would add my two cents.

Massive thanks to Lee for a fantastic and inspired venue. It was awesome to see what he is trying to put together for the foos scene and for Great Yarmouth. Thanks to Joe et al for running a smooth tournament.

Despite perhaps not getting the results I would have liked from this tournament I feel like I played at a good level and left as usual feeling that I had improved areas of my game. I'm pretty sure this was the first tournament that I felt I had a competitive 5 and 3 bar.

In response to the comments above regarding the running of tournaments - The difficulty for many people, myself included, is that in order to help setup tables they have to take a day off work. I am always more than happy to help set up and take down tables as long as I have the holiday to take, and that is an offer that is open to all. We can all see that without that the scene in the UK just won't last.